Unable To Create New Styles

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Unable To Create New Styles

Postby willwenzel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 am

Hi Producer Geniuses. I have a new wrinkle to one installation of Producer - it cannot save new slide styles. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

First, it's worked fine for years. I'm on Windows 10. Second, I've uninstalled, re-installed, disabled firewall, disabled antivirus, checked folder permissions, and run as administrator. Just thought I'd let you know that I covered what I think of as the basics.

Here's what happens. I change the effects for a slide, and click create new slide style. I get to name it, but I can't apply it to my slide. I can't apply it to other slides. If I try to quit and restart, I get an "h error". After that I can't open slide styles until I've gone into ProgramData, and deleted the new style from both the styles and cache folders. Sometimes the style has 0 bytes, othertimes 27k.

My workaround is to create the style on a different computer, and copy the style over. That works. But I'd love to get any opinions from the Enthusiast Brain Trust.

Oh, and obviously I didn't try reaching out to Photodex. That seems like a lost cause. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Will

Re: Unable To Create New Styles

Postby cherub » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Is this "new style" something that you create from an existing style? or maybe from a template?
What is the name that you are trying to give to this new style? Is it the same as the old one?
What happens if you copy/paste this slide to a new show and try to make it into a style from there? Does it work?
What happens if you open a new show, insert a picture into a slide and try to save it as a style with a name like "Test this one". Does it work?

The reason I'm asking all these questions is that I suspect that one or more layers in that slide are linked to some other slide in your show, or to another slide style.

Postby willwenzel » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 am

Hi Cherub, nice line of inquiry, and thank you. In order - it's any style , even from a blank slide with no effects. It won't be applied, and then the style effects won't launch.
I've tried names as simple as B, and as complex as grow slide and blur 20. Neither way works.
What happens if I copy past the slide? The slide works in both places, but in no other show on the one machine can I get it to save a slide style.
What if it's a new show with no effects? If I click create slide style I get to name the style, but then it doesn't apply the style name to the slide, and eventually crashes the program.

Thank you so much for taking an interest and suggesting these questions!

Postby cherub » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:49 am

What can I say?
I don't have any other idea about what might be causing this problem. It might be something to do with the permissions in Windows for the ProgramData directory...
Never had this problem myself, and I don't remember anybody here reporting anything similar either.

My final advice would be to do a clean install of the program.
I advise on Revo Uninstaller as a free program to do the uninstall, because it removes any leftovers from the registry too.
And, when you reinstall the program, make sure that any security program is disabled. This includes AV and Firewall.

Sorry that I cannot help more.

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting