Exploring Arctic Norway - 140 Years Ago

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Esteemed Member

Exploring Arctic Norway - 140 Years Ago

Postby northward » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:36 pm

In 1882 the Danish researcher and teacher Sophus Tromholt travelled to the Norwegian Arctic. He was on a mission to investigate and photograph the Polar Lights phenomenon. In between his work he took a keen interest in taking pictures of the Sámi, the native inhabitants of the Sápmi area, formerly known as Lapland. The result forms a remarkable collection, today housed at the University of Bergen, Norway. The UNESCO ranked the Tromholt-collection as a "Memory Of The World".
In more recent days, Per Ivar Somby - a Norwegian of Tromsø (and of Sámi origin) - creates colored versions of Tromholt's photographs, employing a skilful and disciplined technique.
These color versions cannot replace or push aside Tromholt's original black and white photographs. Yet, it is stunning how a little color energizes these pictures to jump at us across a gap of well over a century!
Technically a very simple show, yet due to some Youtube promoting-algorithm, it got so many views that I at first suspected a defunct counting mechanism. But apparently these kinds of ”chain reactions” can happen!

Greetings to all hardcore PSP Enthusiasts!
Wolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya6yw7RPjGg
-- Minolta SLRs, first digital camera Apple QuickTake 1996, various others since then ---

Re: Exploring Arctic Norway - 140 Years Ago

Postby Bob R » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:20 pm

Thank you for sharing this. Such strong faces from long ago. Marvelous that modern technology allows these old images to be colorized, preserved, and shared.

Postby PhotoMill » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:53 pm

Hello Wolf !

It has been a while since I logged in here but I'm glad that I did.
Great photos and equally great show that you put together ! It's always a hallmark treat to see anything that you present.
When your entry finished, Youtube presented the next "travel documentary" on the subject area. That part of the globe is not only steeped rich in culture but also extremely modernized now as per the doc that I watched namely : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DI-YQmWAT8&t=1138s

The library, museums and culture life are great eye openers.

Thanks again...
Your one man Canadian groupie... Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Esteemed Member

Postby northward » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:07 pm

Thanks Bob and Steve for responses. Nice to know that there is a little life left on this forum. Actually, during the last two years I used PSP more intensely than ever before: A film-project consisting of ca. 60% stills and 40% video. Discovered several functions I never used before. To me, PSP is alive and kicking!
Thanks Steve for the Sàmi-link. It did contain quite a bit that I wasn't aware of, like the marvelous rock-carving art in Alta. I might post some further shows on the Sàmi theme.
Best wishes from
Wolf
-- Minolta SLRs, first digital camera Apple QuickTake 1996, various others since then ---

Postby Riekelt » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:12 am

PhotoMill wrote:Hello Wolf !

It has been a while since I logged in here but I'm glad that I did.
Great photos and equally great show that you put together ! It's always a hallmark treat to see anything that you present.
When your entry finished, Youtube presented the next "travel documentary" on the subject area. That part of the globe is not only steeped rich in culture but also extremely modernized now as per the doc that I watched namely : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DI-YQmWAT8&t=1138s

The library, museums and culture life are great eye openers.

Thanks again...
Your one man Canadian groupie... Steve

I have put my reaction also in the topic about the singer Sofia Jannok:
But because of the interest of the Sami people I also put my reaction fotr Wolf here :

Hello PSP users Steve, Wolf and Bob;

Coincidence certainly does not exist among the Sami people.... I watched a documentary on television this weekend about :

Artist Britta Marakatt-Labba has for decades depicted the indigenous Samí people's mythology,
relation to nature and political struggle. Now she is facing one last fight;
the battle for her culture against the threats of climate change.

A very impressive documentary that will certainly stay with me for a long time.
And this morning I'm checking the forum again and came across this nice post from you Wolf about Sofia Jannok.

coincedence ?

I do not think so :)

Also greetings tot the Greetings to all hardcore PSP Enthusiasts! best program till now.
Riekelt Koffeman

WIN10 PSP 9.0
MAC OSX Photoshop / Lightroom
Foto CANON 80D

Postby Astra » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:48 pm

Captivating show - amazing portraits, you could see, there is the truth in old saying: " in the Eye is the Soul of the Person" ...
Thank you for posting.
Astra

Esteemed Member

Postby northward » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:38 pm

Thank you Riekelt and Astra for your responses to the Sapmi-show.
Due to some kind of promotional push by Youtube, the show's views are nearing the 250 000 mark. I'm happy about it, even though my part is small, compared to photographer Tromholt - may he rest in peace - and Per Ivar Somby, the colorist. At first I was a bit apprehensive, not knowing how Somby would react to my show. He is Sami himself and I had used his colorized images without having had prior contact with him. But he seems as happy as I am. He actually is related to many of the people shown. From his Tromsö home he has countless contacts to the Sami people of Northern Scandinavia. Makes these images quite relevant even today.
Greetings
Wolf

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback