New PS 9 - motion effect within still photo?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

New PS 9 - motion effect within still photo?

Postby hcajones » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:06 pm

I've been away from ProShow for a while (for reasons having nothing to do with ProShow) and just downloaded the new PS9. I'm working on figuring out the new Filters feature, which looks like it has great potential. But, perhaps I'm losing my mind. I could swear that as I was Googling about PS9, I saw a video in which a still photo containing part of a stream (water) is edited such that the water looks like it's moving even though the rest of the photo is still. This was done, I thought, through the new Filters feature, but I'll be darned if I can find that video again or if I can figure out how to do this in the new Filters feature. Did I just dream this? Thanks!

Re: New PS 9 - motion effect within still photo?

Postby cherub » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Well, yes, you could create the motion of the water with those filters of ver. 9, but you are facing here a different kind of problem too.

In order to show just a part of your picture that moves, while all the other parts of the same picture are static, you would need to use some kind of mask.

ProShow Gold doesn't have masks, so you would need to use Photoshop or some other graphic program, in order to create the mask.
You could cut out the water stream from the picture, kind of a hole in your picture, and save that image as a png with transparency.
That would be your first layer of that slide.
Underneath that, in layer 2, you should place your regular picture, and on this layer you should apply those motion filters that you speak of.

The principle is that the water stream would be seen through that hole that you've cut out.

I don't know how realistic that would look, but this is how it should be done.

Postby heckydog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:46 am

You can google or search on youtube for "cinemagraph" and you'll get millions of hits.

The output is usually an animated gif, so generally speaking, you would create the entire effect in photoshop and then import into Proshow.

If Gold can play an animated gif it would work in there as well.

Postby hcajones » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks for the help. I inadvertently posted the question under PSG instead of PSP, which is what I use, but your answers were still on point. I did some more searching and still can't find the video I know I watched. A mystery. And a lesson. Henceforth, I will keep track of URLs for useful videos.

Postby heckydog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Darn it, now I'm curious about that video! :?

It should be in your history unless you clear your history when you exit your browser.

Joe

Postby hcajones » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Mea culpa. The video (I finally found it at https://www.cyberlink.com/products/phot ... .html?&r=1) pertains to a Cyberlink product, not a ProShow or Photoshop. However, the ability to, for example, make the water in a river appear to move even though the rest of the photo is still really intrigues me, so I think I'll see if I can use this to make a photo now and then to use in a ProShow show. Thanks to everybody who responded.

Postby Riekelt » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 am

A software tip ( thinking I want to buy... ) is

DP Animation maker : http://www.animationsoftware7.com/
The free demo version looks very nice.
Can't make this animation in PS9 but i can use it very good as an extra tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhG_znOtPbI

Is this what you mean by saying "a still photo containing part of a stream (water) is edited such that the water looks like it's moving even though the rest of the photo is still"
Riekelt Koffeman

WIN10 PSP 9.0
MAC OSX Photoshop / Lightroom
Foto CANON 80D

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks