Canon Rebel XSi

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
zookeeper

Canon Rebel XSi

Postby zookeeper » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:04 am

I would like to get the Canon XSi and I am wondering about the lens that comes with this camera. I have two lenses from my Canon 2000 film camera - one is the lens that came with the camera 28-80mm and the other is a Tamron 75-300mm 1:4-5:6 LD. I understand these are supposed to work with the digital cameras, but how good do they work. Is is better to buy the XSi with the included lens or just the body and use these lenses for now? I appreciate any advice!

Re: Canon Rebel XSi

Postby Nelson » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

In general Canon's kit lenses get "OK" marks, and that has been my experience. In particular they tend to suffer from flare, which hurts color saturation, and they are not particularly sharp. On the other hand they are "good enough", even better than average for their price.

You should be able to use your old lenses, but note that due to the 1.6x crop factor these will become effectively 45-130mm and 120-480mm. Your kit lens starts at effective 28mm on the wide end. You probably want something in that range, or even wider, so it may make sense get it. If your budget allows, however, there are other, better options in Canon and third party lenses like Sigma and Tamron.

Good luck, one can go nuts with these decisions!

Postby Barkingmad » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:53 pm

Personally I would get the kit, given the price difference between body only it seems to be a very reasonable price for a lens with image stabalization ... but then, what do I know - lol.
Shaz BMad
"Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not yet understood." Henry Mille

Esteemed Member

Postby Alan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:00 pm

I've just upgraded my Nikon D70 to the relatively new Nikon D90. Very impressive. Looked at the Canon but with all Nikon lenses etc. sort of locked in.

Alan
Downunder
Alan

Sydney, Australia

zookeeper

Postby zookeeper » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:58 pm

but note that due to the 1.6x crop factor these will become effectively 45-130mm and 120-480mm. Your kit lens starts at effective 28mm on the wide end. You probably want something in that range,

Nelson - you are right - thank you for this info. My budget is limited and will not allow me expensive lenses at this time. I'll just start out with the kit for now (or later whenever I can get it).

Good luck, one can go nuts with these decisions!

You are so right again! I have been going back and forth (Canon - Nikon, this lens that lens, etc. etc.) there are so many things to consider. It is hard!

Barkingmad - yup, that's what I'm going to do.
Alan - Lucky you! I was considering going with Nikon but decided on this Canon for the price range and features for me starting out.

Thank you all for your replies! Now, this step is done, the next one is to get it and then learn how to use it.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Return to Photography