How to save a shared show to your hard drive ... xyzzy

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Mikey

Postby alcain » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:30 pm

You can't have too many gadgets or
too much disk space !!

Ok, the 561 R is what I have coming...

howwwww abouttt... The Stanley FatMax Leica TLM100 true Laser tape measurer??? 1/4" off max at 100 feet...

...love my gadgets too...

~al

oh by the way, I thought CP/M was the greatest! Used it on my Osborne 100...
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:40 pm

Don't have a laser rangefinder, but I do have a couple of GPS receivers (so I can
figure out how far lost I am). Osborne ?! -- hey, I built my own S-100 system
with wirewrapped video and cassette tape interface cards. Engineers are not as
smart today as back then -- I think it is "natural selection" -- back then, we did
things with tubes with 450-500 volts on the plates -- none of this 5 volt stuff.
450 volts will do a great job of discouraging the careless/dumb ones -- can't
even feel 5 volt stuff :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

450 Volts

Postby alcain » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:48 am

Now that I think of it... we never had any viruses at 450 volts - but lots of them at 5 volts. Maybe computers are like people - we get a fever to kill our viruses. Next time (if ever) I get a computer virus, maybe I'll plug in my variable power supply, crank ot up too 450 volts and clamp the output to my motherboard - whala- no more virus! whadda ya think???

Oh, one more "gadget" I KNOW you have... I have three of them... left handed monkey wrench.

~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:29 am

Yes, I have an assortment of them - I use them to tighten the muffler
bearings on the cars. If you keep them in a bucket of propwash, they
won't rust though :wink:

mikey
:wink:
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: How to save a shared show to your hard drive ... xyzzy

Postby bonalymac » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:55 am

Just a little thought as to how to simplify this process further.

I have a little batch file program that I use to copy the files and rename them in one step. It sits as a shortcut on my desktop and a double-click is all that is needed. You still need to find the files as explained above.

The example here is for VISTA, but the code for XP is at the end of the message.

All you need to do is paste the attached three lines of text into Notepad, save its as ANYNAME.bat, where ANYNAME is a name you will know and recognize, for example CopyShowFiles.bat. Ideally, you should save this BAT file somewhere safe, and create a shortcut to it which you can place where you like. I have mine on my desktop.

xcopy "C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\psg*.tmp" "PATH TO WHEREVER YOU WANT TO SAVE THIS FILE\*.px"
Echo "Your files have been copied and re-named"
Pause

The program opens a new window, then the first line copies and renames the files, lines two and three are there just to let you know that the program has worked. If this bit is not there, then it will run so quickly, you do not know if anything has happened. This way the prog tells you it is finished. Lines 2 & 3 can easily be omitted if you wish. Pressing any key will then close the new window.

If you have already copied a particular file over, you will be asked if you want to overwrite the file already copied.

If there are no files to copy it will tell you so (in this case it will also tell you that your files have been copied (I couldn't be bothered removing this bit)

On my own PC, I use

xcopy "C:\Users\Colin\AppData\Local\Temp\psg*.tmp" "G:\ProShow Resources\Shows\*.px"

(Incidentally you need to include the two sets of quotation marks).

I hope this makes sense, and may be of use to someone. Having to explain it in some detail makes it look more complex than it really is. If you know anything about Batch files, it is very very simple. If not, I think it is still worth the effort to follow the instructions as it makes copying/renaming a click away.

If anything doesn't work, or isn't clear please contact me.

Colin

For XP users, the code line should be changed to
xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\psg*.tmp" "PATH TO WHEREVER YOU WANT TO SAVE THIS FILE\*.px"
Colin

Carloscda

Postby Carloscda » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:49 am

Does it have to be .px? Can any other player open it?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:24 am

Carloscda

The file that you are downloading, to play in Presenter, and save is a .px file. This file format seems to be a Photodex format and I do not know of any program to convert it to other video formats, However I must say I have never tried to convert it :oops: , but a quick 'google' finds nothing.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Esteemed Member

Postby twodoor55 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:16 pm

I just tried to save a show, followed all the steps and was successful, only problem, if I want to view it later. with psp, I get an error message. Did I miss something?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison
US inventor (1847 - 1931)

Postby heckydog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:44 pm

twodoor55 wrote:I just tried to save a show, followed all the steps and was successful, only problem, if I want to view it later. with psp, I get an error message. Did I miss something?

After you save it, you need to change the extension from tmp to px. You can also change the name from the cryptic psxxx to something you recognize.

Also, you won't be playing it with PSP, it will play with the same Presenter file that you used to view it in the first place.

Joe

Postby Oldguy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:05 am

Good info to have! Thanks

Esteemed Member

Postby just4fun » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:40 am

I am soooooo... grateful for this post. Last year I had two kidney stone surgeries and crashed my computer while on Vicadin. I lost all my shows in the resulting rebuilding by a "pro". I even paid for this. I just tried copying one of my shows and it worked fine for me. I can now get all my shows back. This is the most exciting thing that has happen to me in the past two years. May not be the best shows in the world, but they are my babies.
Vivian

Previous

Return to PSP - Tutorials