Playing Your Photodex Hosted Shows From Your Own Web Site

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
billharden

Something funny going on

Postby billharden » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:28 pm

Thanks Mike,
I have decided to bit the bullet and host my own shows. I just have to learn very quickly how to do that. Oh well, I knew I was going to have to learn some HTML sooner or later anyway. Thanks for all your help.
Bill

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Bill:

If you decide to host your own shows you don't have to do much other than 2 things:

1) Upload the PX file directly to your server
2) Locate the code in your html that points to the PX file on Photodex's server and change the URL to the location of the PX file on your server.

These are the only two things that need to be done. Everything else you've been doing is done in the same manner.

Hope this helps!

Mike

billharden

Postby billharden » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks, I have a test website that I'm using (for now) to learn on. It is www.SlideShowRealtor.com. I have successfully uploaded a show, but now have to figure out how to add the presenter plugin. I mean as the website is now, it works, but that's because I already have presenter on my computer. On my test computer I have removed presenter, and obviously the show won't work. Also something I've never seen before. When you click on the show, it asks the viewer to download the show to their hard drive before loading. What's up with that?
Thanks for all your help and patience.
Bill

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Bill:

The reason why your viewers are being asked to download the file is because you've linked directly to the PX file. You need to treat this just as you did when Photodex was hosting the file. Create your page with the code like you did before, but instead of using the URL with the long number that points to Photodex, change it to the URL on your server that has the PX file location. Example:

<script language="javascript" src="http://www.photodex.com/presenter.js"></script>
<script>PhotodexObject("ProShow","objectname","http://www.photodex.com/shows/59110_20050129021109.px",640,480); PresenterControls("objectname",640);</script>

<script language="javascript" src="http://www.photodex.com/presenter.js"></script>
<script>PhotodexObject("ProShow","objectname","http://www.slideshowrealtor.com/YOURFILENAMEHERE.px",640,480); PresenterControls("objectname",640);</script>

Just change the red portion in the code on top to the blue portion in the code on the bottom. It's the same code to play the show, but now it will point to your server where the show file is located.

You don't need to do anything to get Presenter to play on your site. If you have the code correctly done as I've instructed, new viewers will be prompted as before to download the plug-in. This will always be done via Photodex.

Make sense?

Mike

Re: Playing Your Photodex Hosted Shows From Your Own Web Site

Postby debngar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:40 pm

Hi Mike,

Do you know if px files can be playe/displayed via Photodex website inside a wordpress blog?

I tried the copy paste instructions as described in this thread but seem to be doing something wrong. Or else it's not permitted to do that in wordpress.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Debbie

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Debbie:

I think it was Mona (cherub) that I helped a while ago with putting a show on her blog. I don't remember if she's using Wordpress or not, but it did work.

If you'd like to send me the code, or put it here, I can take a look at what you're using to see if we can make it work.

Mike

Postby cherub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi, yes Debbie, the code works in a blog, and with the help of Mike we successfully done this.
The problem was that the browsing menu got distorted and we had to get rid of it.
I think that this had to do with the size of the blog page, and if it's a bit larger, this problem will disappear.

The thing is that you need a server to upload your show to, and insert it in the code. The server can be Photodex's site or any other server (I tested in Google Pages).

I don't use this anymore, because Google Pages are limited in size (as I later discovered), whereas Photodex's site is down everyday during European morning hours. The problematic Photodex server completely destabilized my blog, as it always tried to automatically load the shows.

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:13 am

What I was trying to do is just paste the code into a post which I haven't "published" yet. When I view the page, all I see is the code and looks like that's cut short once it's put in the code gets changed some how.

I know little to nothing about html but have done a tiny bit of cut and past of links when I used to do ebay stuff a few years ago.

I put your code into the post and then put the show number I found when viewing the show page as you instructed making sure the px is there.

What most people are doing that I can see is uploading to YouTube, then getting that flash version into the blog. I was trying to avoid that since the quality is bad and I don't have a 2-pass VBR converter yet.

Mona, I think it automatically loaded your show because it sounds like you removed the menu. There is a box I saw that is automatically checked to play the show when there is no menus. I wonder what would happen if you unchecked that box?

This is what I was pste into the post box:

<script>PhotodexObject("ProShow","objectname","http://www.photodex.com/shows/88426_20080820164935.px",640,480); PresenterControls("objectname",640);</script>

When I save the page, it turns it into THIS:

PhotodexObject("ProShow","objectname","http://www.photodex.com/shows/88426_20080820164935.px",640,480); PresenterControls("objectname",640);

I tried to put a link to my album page by pasting a link into a text widget on the right of my blog and couldn't get it to work either. Every time I pasted the text, then saved it, wordpress would change code and it would not work. I have a link to my album but it has to be in a "link'" widget since I am using a free template.

Any ideas?

Debbie

Postby cherub » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:37 am

Hi Debbie,
No, I did not remove the menu. I didn't write that the shows were trying to PLAY automatically, but rather that they were trying to LOAD. As the Photodex site was down, there was nothing to load, and the blog still tried to.
I'll send you a pm.

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:06 am

No, I did not remove the menu. I didn't write that the shows were trying to PLAY automatically, but rather that they were trying to LOAD. As the Photodex site was down, there was nothing to load, and the blog still tried to.

Ok I see....
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby debngar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 am

The method described in this thread doesn't seem to work for posting a Photodex hosted slide show in a wordpress freebie blog that I can see.

I can get the YouTube version of a show embedded in my wordpress blog. But I cannot get a Photodex hosted version to appear and play in my blog.

Mona was trying to help me and she came to the conclusion that Wordpress apparently suppresses javascript for security reasons.

Then I tried embedding a regular YouTube show link URL in a test post, then substituted that URL with a Photodex show URL from my album but that doesn't work either.

Anyone know how or if this can be done?

I don't host my own blog and domain yet at this point. It's the wp freebie version until I get to the point where I know how to code CSS and such. The freebie versions don't seem to allow for any major changes in the templates and such other than what is offered in that template because it serves so many other people.

So there may be very little I can do to fix this unless there is someone out there knows how to hack the freebie to get it to work if that's even possible. :roll:
Debbie

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:31 am

Debbie:

I checked Wordpress' site and it specifically states that javascript is not allowed. I know of no other way to embed a PX show without using javascript. It looks like you will be limited to other output options.

Mike

Postby debngar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:38 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking. I kind of thought that was going to be the answer but just not quite sure.

I'm supposing if I hosted the blog myself that this obstacle could be overcome - that is if I knew how to do that.

Looks like another thing will be going on my things-to-learn plate. LOL
Debbie

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:03 am

Debbie:

Have you checked into the Blogger.com service that Mona uses? I believe it's free as well and does allow the javascript code.

Mike

Postby debngar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 am

I''ve chosen not to go the google blogger route. I tried that one in the beginning when I was trying to set up a blog and it wasn't very user friendly for my taste. I'm usually pretty intuitive when it comes to figuring things out but of the little help on the blogger site I was aware of was just not helpful to me. I struggled with it for about 3 days and got nowhere and so I gave up.

Then I went to Wordpress.com and figured out how to put up a freebie blog in about 3-4 hours. It's not perfect nor my idea of what it should ultimately look like but it's a start. This is different from hosting your own blog, done with the free software you download via wordpress.org.

I know blogger can be hacked but I don't need that now since I already have my wordpress blog up and running.

It is just something I'll have to learn one way or another if I want to customize my blog more than what I have up there now.

For those who want a custom blog, you have to register your own domain name, find a host and download the free blogging software from wordpress.org and learn CSS to customize it. This is different from the freebie wordpress.com blog I have right now where you get the free blog but are restricted to the use of limited template designs which you can't hack and change in design format.

Thanks!
Debbie

PreviousNext

Return to Odds & Ends