3D Modeling Software - FREE

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Valued Member

3D Modeling Software - FREE

Postby Pat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:59 am

The Caligari Corporation released their latest version of trueSpace 7.6 today and have made it totally free. They have also released all of their training video courses, previously $79 each, for free. Perhaps some of the more talented folk here could fine use in this product...

http://www.caligari.com/

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: 3D Modeling Software - FREE

Postby briancbb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 am

Wow, what a program for free.

Just wish I had the time to look at it. I viewed some of the intro demos, a truely powerful program.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:06 am

I feel like the devil is sitting on my shoulder. If I download the software, I might go wandering off with it and not be seen again for a year.

Quite some time ago, I tried 3-D modeling and was so confused by it that I finally gave up, but this is tempting. I'm going to try to wait for others to try it and then report back on it. Naturally, I'll download it and keep it in reserve. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:42 pm

The devil is on my shoulder ... I have succumbed and downloaded it :twisted:
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:43 pm

Brian, I wish you absolutely no ill, but I rather hope you end up reporting that you didn't like it, couldn't get into, or whatever. It might help me keep my mitts off it. Maybe. Sort of.

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:02 pm

OK Barabara, here is what I have found so far.

Had problems when first installing as there are three separate installations. The program, the manual and videos. I thought I would have the manual in a folder of its own, likewise the videos, and the program in my 'Program Files' directory .... WRONG!! For the program to find the manual, from the Help dropdown menu it has to be located correctly. First install the program, browse to a named folder in 'Program Files' and install it, then the install of the manual and videos will select the correct install path.

The website says to read the manual, before starting. The manual totals 1338 pages ... see you next year. There are countless 'iconised' menus, needs the memory of an elephant to remember them. Very much, have the manual open on one monitor and work to it on the other ... hope you have two monitors.
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:55 pm

That did it, Brian. I'm not going to install it, and it's not because the idea bores me in any way. It's because I've got two other programs I'm trying to master--or at the least minor. As soon as you remarked on the size of the manual, I knew this was a monster of a program.

BUT, once you've managed to create things with it (just half-decent will do), I'd love seeing those things. Will you be willing to share some of it?

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:35 am

Barbara

I am very much like you with the program. I would love to tackle it, but it is a monster and will take considerable time. I have put it on the 'back burner' to simmer away and I may look from time to time, but in the end it will probably dry out.

I now have a couple of DVD's on retouching portraits in Photoshop, Portrait Retouching Techniques and Portrait Retouching Essentials, both by Chris Orwig/Lynda.com. I am working my way through these and learning Photoshop skills and methods I would never have thought of. This will be of far better use to me, although I am young at heart and really wish to play with 3D.
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 am

Brian, it's certainly a case for setting priorities. I've already played at other times with programs like this, and each time I've had to say no to them. The most recent is a sensational and highly complicated piece of software for synthesizing music, which is something my son does and who insisted I should learn how. After about two weeks of trying to master a couple of baby steps, I told him he would do all the synthesizing in this house, and if I needed a brand-new composition, he would be my designated composer. He runs rings around me in the music arena, but if he needs a Photoshop technique, it's his mom he goes to.

We just can't do it all, can we?

Barbara

Postby m.c.rude » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:26 am

Don't want to discourage you guys, but there is a reason Caligari is giving this software away. It does not really conform to other 3D standards and although reviews praise the interface, it is nothing short of confusing. Our brief excursion into the software was more an exercise in comic relief

If you look at the forums or search the web for Truespace art you will see a bunch of amateur looking pictures. There are some excellent works out there, but the general opinion equals the idea that if you give a professional photographer a point and shoot camera; they will still take good pictures. The pictures would be great with a better camera.

However; as I said, I do not want to discourage you. 3D has advanced so much in the last decade; it is so much more than dropping a 3D model in a scene and rendering. If you are serious about learning 3D; even a little, I suggest you follow these steps in the program of your choice:

Learn the basics of object manipulation (scaling, rotating, moving). You can get free simple models online.

Learn how the camera works. Each program has a virtual camera whose view will be the rendered image.

Learn how 3D lighting and illumination works. Without light you will get nothing in your scene and you have to understand it to get good pictures. There is more than one type of light, and in most programs more than one type of illumination setup.

Learn how texturing works. It is important to texture your objects nicely; otherwise you get silly looking pictures. Texturing will also help you understand a model's geography and will introduce you to it's basic makeup.

Learn basic animation. You will have to learn keyframes. However other than Proshow Producer almost everyone else follows a keyframe standard and it is much easier.

Finally I think you will be ready to start to model. For most programs, there are a ton of free tutorials out there.

There are many programs that offer free versions, or learning versions that you can try that are not as confusing as Truespace. They may have alot to learn, but it is more organized and fits a standard. Many years have gone into using 3D and the standards are made to be as easy to use as possible. Do not get discouraged if you do not understand them at once; It will come to you with time.

Here is a free program that is much less confusing than Truespace: (alot to learn in the program though, but if you look at it's gallery compared to Truespace's you will see much better results)

http://www.blender.org/

Here are some trial versions you can try:

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/?page=try

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial/

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/mf ... eID=123112

Hope I could help if only even a little
MC
the picture or video does not tell you what software or hardware you used; it only tells the story, it will only reveal what the eye sees.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 am

Thanks for the update MC. I was wondering why Truespace was a 'give away'.

Getting the brain nodules working I do remember Blender from way back, but once again ran out of time to fully investigate. however I do not think I will ever be a 3D modeller, that is not where my true interests lay.
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Proshownathan

Postby Proshownathan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:39 pm

Here's a good thought about Blender 3d. How can I wrap a layer frame (pane) or show around a cylinder or cube? I'll work on it but some advice would help...

Proshownathan

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications