Best place to purchase?

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Re: Best place to purchase?

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:01 am

Sheldon, you're on. The last time I was in Chinatown was back in around 1970, and the last time I was in the city at all was for the purely focused goal of hitting the city archives in search of hidden ancestors where, along the way, I found my parents' marriage certificate that had been somehow lost. An official copy now rests in my personal archives.

B&H and good Chinese food is another great thing to focus on. I'm holding you to it.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby sheldonk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:34 am

BarbaraC wrote:B&H and good Chinese food is another great thing to focus on. I'm holding you to it.
Barbara

Just LMK!!!!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:14 am

I certainly will, but you have to promise not to use acronyms that take OF's like me five minutes to figure out. :(

Barbara

Postby nannybear » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:18 am

Barbara you were not the only OF that had to think on that one. I had to go backwards and read the other posts before I clued in!!! HAHA LOL :lol: :oops: hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:59 am

There ought to be an OF law instituted: No acronyms other than LOL and its various forms. Also, people have lots of opinions, but rarely are they humble, so even that one should be outlawed, though on other grounds. :D

Barbara

Postby newtcruiser » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:11 am

Right On Barb!

Linda :lol:

Postby sheldonk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:37 am

Barbara,

Okay you got me back. It took me 10 minutes to figure out what OF meant.

Sheldon

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:56 am

Good. Now I feel better. :D

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:15 am

Another vote for B&H. They're the best. Avoid the cheapest.

www.nextag.com for searching

www.keh.com to purchase and sell used equip.

I have a friend who was going to sell a used Pentax film camera (w lens) at a garage sale for $20. I sent her to KEH and she got $450. Maybe I should start going to garage sales looking for people who think old is worthless.

Jim

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:12 pm

As an alternative to those already mentioned. I can recommend Midwest Photo. I have purchased a lot from B and H and they are great folks to deal with. Jim at Midwest Photo is without peer.

As an example, I wanted to have my Canon 5D delivered before I left for Italy. As it turned out the camera that they sold me did not arrive in their store in time to ship. So they had a competitor ship a camera to me for Saturday delivery at no additional cost for the additional shipping charges. Their service is absolutely stellar.

Don

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Although it's been a while, I've also had good luck with buydig.com. But sometimes, Amazon beats them all. Rule of thumb: stay away from kits and "extras".

Bizrate.com will rate sellers.

Jeff

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Speaking of Bizrate, be extra careful about falling for their magazine offers. You get pulled into three or four subscriptions via your credit card, and unless you pick up the telephone and call the company that does the subscriptions, they automatically renew the subscription when the time comes without your approval. Then it's a mess trying to get the subscriptions stopped and your money refunded. Even if you DO call, they play tricks with the question and answer thing (automated) so you can easily get pulled into continuing subscriptions that you don't want. DON'T FALL FOR IT TO BEGIN WITH!

Barbara

starlight

Postby starlight » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

I myself am dying to know what kind of lens you got and how much you ended up paying/saving. I also want to know if you are happy with their service. My husband swears by Canon and that is what he bought me for my birthday, but if the company excels with one product they probably do so with everything and that includes things that can be bought for me for Christmas.

Star

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:03 pm

This is the lens I bought. I couldn't find it on the Tamron site so they may have discontinued it. There may still be some in the channel.

I think deciding on a lens is actually more difficult than choosing a camera. I went with Canon but any of the well known DSLRs do a good job. The lens, now that's a different story. And then there's the price and the weight and the filter size...a tough balancing act.

The Fred Miranda site is a good place to start the process.

Jeff

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/show ... =43&page=1

Valued Member

Postby slideshowsandmore » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:12 pm

I've purchased most of my stuff...cameras, lenses, etc., at Beachcamera.com and buydig.com. The only thing that turns me off about B&H has been the shipping costs. Beach and Buydig have free shipping. I've never had a problem with either of the two places. I did order a camera last minute for a gift, along with a lens for myself. I paid an extra fee for FedEx two day delivery on the camera, and the lens arrived at the same time via UPS.

Lesson to be learned....don't pay for shipping because their regular shipping is just as fast.

Good luck with the lens.

Rosemary

Previous

Return to Photography