Best place to purchase?

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.

Best place to purchase?

Postby dtpitts » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:55 pm

Hey,

Could you tell me the best place to purchase on-line? My hubby is buying me a Nikkor lens for our 25th Anniversary! Yea! :) We have normally purchased everything at our local Wolf camera store, but the lens is $749.99 there. I have seen it much cheaper on-line. If you can direct me to the trusted site, that would be great! I am sooo excited to play with the new lens... ;)

Thanks!!

Teresa
:)

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Best place to purchase?

Postby stickgirl » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Congrats on the big anniversary and getting a new lens!

These are my favorites:

http://www.adorama.com/ and http://www.jr.com/

Kathy

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:22 pm

B&H Photo is who I use. Great selection of items and very good customer service.

B&H Photo

Mike

Postby bigsewed » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:43 pm

Google the lens and you will get all kinds of pricing and vendor options...
I use Amazon if they carry it...
Wes

Postby debngar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:36 pm

There are a lot of rip off vendors in NY so be very careful. Someone once shared a good website for checking the names of them but I can't remember where that is online.

I would use either Adorama or B&H. I have ordered a lot of stuff from B&H and have been very happy with them.

Someone I know fell for the "great package deal" that was supposed to be better than the more reliable places like the ones I mentioned. They were buying their first Canon DSLR. They did not get a USA version. Instead it was a grey market version and sometimes those do not come with a warranty. Sometimes they take the items out of the box and try to force you to pay extra for those things that should have come with the camera in the first place - strap, battery, software, manual, flash card, you name it. Sometimes they will substitute the Canon kit lens for lower quality 3rd party lenses hoping you won't know the difference.

Another thing is that Canon only gives rebates to people who purchase from an authorized dealer.

Just some things to think about.

Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:55 pm

A ditto to B&H. Their prices are competitive, but even when they're a tad higher, I still prefer buying from them and in spite of the fact that they're here in NYS, which means I have to pay sales tax. Customer service is tops. When I have questions, I call them because they're helpful and don't try to sell me things I don't want. As a matter of fact, I had one of them tell me not buy something because I could get it cheaper elsewhere! Of course, it was only a small accessory item related to the big thing I'd be buying from them, but have you ever heard of such a thing? :D

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:13 pm

Yet another vote for B&H. I've used both them and Adorama several times over the years but I like and trust B&H better.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Valued Member

Postby DanMac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:34 pm

B & H is one of the best...
Dan
Dan

Thanks!

Postby dtpitts » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:31 am

Thanks everyone for all the great information!
We went with B&H... I can't wait to start playing around with the new lens... yippee!!!!

Teresa
:D

Postby im42n8 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:52 am

DItto on B&H or Amazon. You might look at EBay too (not the bid stuff tho). I haven't had any problems so far with either of these vendors. Just got a lens off Amazon that was about $60 less than B&H (I went with price).

Dale

Postby jojo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:53 am

Can't go wrong w/B&H

John

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:47 pm

B & H has a great reputation. A place to check vendor performance is resellerratings.com.

Glad you like the lens.

-Vernon

Postby sheldonk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:03 pm

B&H's New York store is awesome! It's a city block long! I can spend hours in there. Like a kid in a candy shop.

If you're ever in New York City, check it out. It's on 9th Ave at 34st. They're closed Saturdays. The people that run the store are Orthodox Jews. Even their website won't take orders from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night. I guess their webserver is Orthodox too. :-)

Sheldon

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:37 am

Sheldon, B&H is an absolute for the next time I go to the city. It's no more than a 2-1/2 hour train ride for me, if that, and I believe there's subway station only a skip away from it. Do I ever envy your proximity to it!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby sheldonk » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi Barbara,

it's going to be 100 degrees in the city tomorrow, so be glad you're not here! Next time you come down, LMK. I'll take you to my favorite restaurant in Chinatown called Wo Hop on Mott Street. It opened in 1938. My father took me there for the first time in 1961! Every time I go there, I can still see my father eating lobster cantonese. He passed back in 1984.

Bring your camera. Great stuff to photograph in Chinatown. If it's summer time, bring a clothes pin for your nose!! :mrgreen:

Sheldon

Next

Return to Photography