A Couple of Photoshop Tutorials

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Producer only. Provide a lnk if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.

Postby SandyB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Jennifer!

Your tutorials are just in time for the wedding show I plan to do next!
I'm sure you'll see your influence in the show.

Thanks much!
Sandy
Connecting Who You Are With What You Love To Do

Postby im42n8 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 pm

In the window, right click. Select "View page in IE Tab." or Right click over the tab for the current window and select "Switch Rendering Engine."

Dale

BarbaraC wrote:
im42n8 wrote:Switching the Firefox tab to the IE engine allows the full screen video.

What tab are you talking about?

Barbara

Postby cherub » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:57 pm

im42n8 wrote:In the window, right click. Select "View page in IE Tab." or Right click over the tab for the current window and select "Switch Rendering Engine."
Dale

Dale,
Is this part of Firefox now? Because I automatically install an extension for this:

Either this:
IE Tab - an extension from Taiwan, features: Embedding Internet Explorer in tabs of Mozilla/Firefox...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Or this:
IE View 1.3.7
Lets you load pages in IE with a single right-click, or mark certain sites to *always* load in IE.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/35

Postby GabBill » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:59 am

Thanx for sharing these with us, Jen. They're great.

Bill
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP
http://www.myphotosinmotion.com

Postby Camlork » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:32 am

Many thanks Jen - I'm sure these will be useful. As always concise and easy to follow.

Ted

Postby im42n8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:39 am

EGADS! I installed IE Tab so long ago I forgot about it and have just taken it for granted ever since! Nope, it's gotta be the extension you install! (sorry Barbara!)

Dale

Postby VidQueen » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks for watching everybody!

I do have to say, Expert on Photoshop...I am NOT! Instead of using an eraser on any photograph you really should be using the Layer Mask instead. That way if you mess up you can always just "draw it back" by switching the black and white and just painting again.

Sheldon: Commision...Yep! Um...can I pay you in Macaroni and Cheese? I seem to be overflowing in the stuff....two preschool girls; it's either that or hot dogs!

I'm going to post another excerpt later today on the Curved Frame. I've had some questions about it and I really think that needs to be posted as well.

Thanks again everybody!

Jennifer

Postby im42n8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:31 am

I figured you were just trying to make it really simple for the viewer! Clip mask/layer mask is definitely the better way to go all the way around!

The nice thing about the clip mask/layer mask is that you can use all the shades of gray (from black to white) on your mask, as necessary. Makes it easy to effectively "feather" some of the edges . . .

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:35 pm

im42n8 wrote:In the window, right click. Select "View page in IE Tab." or Right click over the tab for the current window and select "Switch Rendering Engine.

Dale, there's no such animal in a right-click, nor is there any such option in the menus.

Barbara

Postby cherub » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:15 pm

Barbara, read above.

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:27 pm

cherub wrote:Barbara, read above.

Have done as commanded. :D

Is it worth it? What I mean to say is, except for this single instance, I've never wanted anything whatsoever that IE has to offer. Of course, I could be missing things without realizing it, right?

Barbara

Postby cherub » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:50 pm

BarbaraC wrote:Is it worth it? What I mean to say is, except for this single instance, I've never wanted anything whatsoever that IE has to offer. Of course, I could be missing things without realizing it, right?
Barbara

It depends entirely on the sites. There are less and less sites now that don't work well with FF but there still are.
Particularly those that have all sorts of forms, voting and things like that.
I've been using FF for a very long time, and as I said, and as Dale said, we have always used this extension. It's become a reflex to right click and see IE.
BTW, I'm using the 2nd one that I mentioned.
And, it was not a command :D

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:15 pm

I just checked into it at the Firefox site, and from what I can see, it's hardly different from simply opening up IE. I don't understand the purpose of it.

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Barbara,

Some "folks" design with IE (v6 or 7) ONLY! Some code on a page is specific to IE only and is NOT standards compliant (but works well in IE). Micro$oft has finally acquiesed and is making IE8 fully standards compliant in its default mode. (finally)

Anyway, if you go to a page that doesn't seem to work right (and you KNOW there should be something working there), then (with the IE TAB extension installed in Firefox) you switch rendering engines (to get it to use the IE rendering engine) and voila! You find out the designer of the page was only interested in IE users and the heck with the rest (... somewhat). If you surf the web alot, the addition of this extension might be useful. I don't like IE very much at all. But, for those sites that have no interest in standards compliance (that is, think everyone should use IE or assume only IE users will come to their page), I find this extension very valuable! I don't have to leave my browser at all. (yeah!)

I've used the IE TAB extension for so long now that I forgot I'd even installed it ... and took its functionality for granted. There is no difference in Firefox that's apparent use when using the IE rendering engine except for the font ... it's different. But, if you know what CSS is on a given page, you can switch rendering engines and compare how IE fares against Firefox. In some cases it's pretty dramatic. IE has been very poor at adhering to industry standards ... instead, it tried to force their "standards" on web users by sheer numbers. Hence, one of the reasons that it's difficult to get a web page to look the same across many different browers. Quirks ... lots of them. That goes for the CSS implementation, how tables are interpreted, layers (well, divs), fonts, etc.

This page of Jennifer's uses an object code that only renders well in IE (or a browser using an IE engine). It's not standards compliant code and so isn't interpreted correctly by other browsers coming to her site. So, with IE TAB installed as an extension in Firefox, all you need to do is switch the rendering engine and you can see it in all its IE driven splendor without having to resort to opening another browser!

BarbaraC wrote:I just checked into it at the Firefox site, and from what I can see, it's hardly different from simply opening up IE. I don't understand the purpose of it.

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby Truly M » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:28 am

Thanks Jen,
I always enjoy your tutorials and have learnt so much from you in the time i have been a member. I visit your website often looking for new stuff. I have bought from you many many times and have never been disappointed. You make me laugh when you say you are no photoshop expert, but you certainly impress me everytime. I don't think its the 'expert' side, i think its more how creative you are. many people on here probably are photoshop experts, but do they have your creative flow?? not too sure. No offence to you photoshoppers meant!!!!

anyway thanks for the newletters and monthly free backgrounds and keep up the fantastic work!!

love
Jen
xx

oh and p.s. love the accent!!!!

Previous

Return to PSP - Tutorials