Creating and using ISO files ...

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Gold only. Provide a link if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
Site Admin

Creating and using ISO files ...

Postby MG - Admin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:27 pm

I've copied this over from a post made by gpsmikey in the PSP - Tutorials section of the forum. This info will apply with PSG:

NOTE: - I edited this 7-April-2008 to include a copy of the menu for build version
2047 as well as making the screenshots smaller (500 pixels wide) so the full image
will fit on a page when you print it.) Also, if you are interested in keeping a copy of
any thread or tutorial on your machine for later reference, consider using a utility
like the free "pdfcreator" -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ which allows
you to print the thread to a pdf file (including pictures etc.) for later reference.

I had several people suggest I put a copy of my ISO file information in the tutorial
section. I guess it fits since it does say how to create one from within Producer or
Gold. On the other hand, if our fearless leader feels it does not belong here, that
is OK too :D

After a number of questions about iso files, I thought I would put together a bit of
information here on what iso image files are and how to use them. Hopefully, this
will help people who are not familiar with them to understand how they work.

ISO image is a term commonly associated with CD and DVD burning.
An ISO image (or .ISO file) is a computer file that is an exact copy of an
existing file system (in this case, the file structure on the DVD). An ISO can
contain the entire contents of a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM disc or CD medium.
ISO files are typically created through a program such as Producer etc that
can create CD or DVD image files. They can also be created FROM existing
CD’s or DVD’s and are a handy way to backup those install CD’s and DVD’s
on your hard drive (so you can re-create them when you can’t find the original
that got lost somewhere … ) These ISO files can easily be used to allow users
to burn an exact copy of the original onto CD or DVD.

Note that ISO images are also often used to distribute images of CD’s or
DVD’s containing information such as operating systems etc. You download
one file (the iso), verify the error check number matches what was posted
(so you know the download was valid and error free) then use a utility such
as Imgburn to create an identical copy of the CD or DVD the iso was
created from.

As an example, say I have a show you really like and you would like a copy
(including menu structure etc.) – I post a copy of the iso for the DVD on
a web site, you download that iso then use imgburn to create a new DVD.
That DVD will match my DVD byte for byte – it is an exact clone of the original.

Understanding that in the intermediate form, an iso image file is simply a container
that is just another file on your computer is an important concept. Since, in
the intermediate form, it is just a container, you can put it (along with others,
in a larger container if you will). Say you have a number of short DVD’s you
have made – if the iso file for each one was say 500 megabytes, you could
save 8 different iso’s of that size to one DATA DVD (at this point, the iso’s are
just another file of type .iso – you can’t (easily) combine them to be able to
play the 8 shows from the one DVD). What you can do with those 8 shows
saved to the DVD is re-create any one of the show DVD's later by simply
using the saved iso to burn the show DVD again. Effectively, you are
saving "images" (in this case) of 8 different DVD shows on one backup DVD.
Remember the iso image is simply a “containerâ€
Last edited by MG - Admin on Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlvery

Thanks, GPS

Postby dlvery » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:11 am

Thanks so much for the ISO file creation info. That is exactly what I was looking to do because every time I try to do mutiple copies in Producer, I get a freeze at 1% burn on the 2nd or 3rd disc. It is frustrating to ruin the lightscribe discs after only a 1% burn! I created the iso and then burned 7 in no time flat with no coasters, whew hew!!

Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate your tutorial!

: D

dreamland

Postby dreamland » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:51 pm

"Generate disc on the fly"

Computer reads a chunk of data and the same time write a chunk of data. As the file is generated the same time it is written of the disc. - Highly NOT recommended to leave this checked or use it, as it is generate a lot faulty copies even if the "BURN is Successful!". After playback you can have problem with disc-freezes and pixelation. During the burning process the computer trying to multitasking to fulfill other assigments, it can cause messing around with your writing.

Steve

Valued Member

Re: Creating and using ISO files ...

Postby bulajap » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:49 am

Thank you for the tutorial....

I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

If I want to make a slideshow and then make some copies for family should I just creat a DVD show under the burn options in PSP and then from there burn copies using my Nero DVD copying software? Or...burn a slideshow in PSP as an ISO and then use the Nero burning software to make copies. My concern is that the slidesow would be compatible with standalone DVD players.

thanks.......

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Studio7Productions » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:56 am

To be honest, I have never created a ISO file....I just keep the original show as normal, and make the DVD's as and when required.....Making a ISO vastly increases the amount of disc space you need, and as said above, can cause lots of problems if your processor can't cope with it.....I would just save your un-created show files, and use the Proshow option to burn the DVD.

M
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:02 am

Use Producer/Gold to create an ISO file then use either Nero or the FREE Imgburn utility to create your DVD from that ISO. That way, if you want more copies, you burn from the ISO and they are identical to the original. The chief compatibility problems you are likely to run into involve more a case of some players like DVD+R, some like DVD-R (I have had the best results with the "-", but YMMV ). Some people have found that setting the "Booktype" in the "+R" gives good results. Also, if you are in NTSC world, you are better off using either AC3 (requires an external encoder - $$) or LPCM for the audio NOT the Mpeg Layer2 audio compression that it defaults to -- that is NOT part of the NTSC spec and every now and then, you will find an older player that will not handle it -- you get a great show, but no sound.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby carnut2 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:58 am

Hi, I'm a newbie and need specific info HOW to create an ISO file. I never had any problems with burning small shows with 2.6.1745 but with 585 pics and 19 mp3s it stalls out at 97% at burning. I can't find ISO file option for saving in any of the pull down menus. It's driving me crazy. I have tons of memory and HDspace :cry:

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:49 am

You select it from the menu where you pick which burner to use -- see the picture below for more info (it may be somewhat different with the newer version, but this should get you there).

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Valued Member

Postby bulajap » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:20 am

Hi Mikey...

about "creating ISO on the fly" option this is what tech support at Photodex worte to me when I inquired about it:

"The 'Create ISO file on the fly' is more about how the files are burnt
to the disc, whether they are prepared in full onto the Hard-drive (in a
temporary ISO file), or whether they are built in the RAM, thereby
skipping the need to wait for the entire ISO file to be completed,
before the burn can start. It's a minor adjustment that's only
necessary, if there's problems with streaming data through the RAM at
this scale. If you're wanting to create an ISO file for burning in
another application, for example for future disc creations, or for mass
production, then all you have to do is change the top-most "Writer"
option from your burner drive to the other option: "ISO image file". Now
when you click Create, it will ask you where you want to save the file,
instead of just burning your show(s) to disc."

hope this helps.....

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks - I should have mentioned that - I don't normally have that checked, I just used an image I happened to have up on photobucket from some past information I had posted. In general, everything I have heard says not to have the "on the fly" checked. I always create an ISO for my projects although I often do it in another program (create uncompressed avi in ProShow then edit in Vegas to add some more stuff and build the ISO (including using the AC3 audio codec then create the ISO from there)).

mikey

Postby carnut2 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanx for a quick reply. I did find the ISO ref and did burn my show successfully using DVD Decrypter. (The only program I had to do it with) It may be my eyes, but it seems to me it was not as sharp as using the internal burner of PSG.
Thanx again

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:36 pm

It should not make any difference how you burn it as long as the data is valid, HOWEVER, Photodex, in their (in)finite wisdom may change the render settings they use between creating an ISO and actually burning to DVD direct. The data itself is strictly digital, so whatever happens to the image happens BEFORE it is written. It would be interesting to find out if they do indeed change settings between writing to DVD direct or creating an ISO. I usually go with the third option of rendering to uncompressed AVI then using my video editor (Vegas) to finish it and render from there with DVDA that is part of the Vegas package. One thing you might do is take a look at two "identical" dvds - one created direct from PSG and a second via the ISO method. Open them in your computer and see if all the files are the same size on both - changing the data rate (most common change to the settings) will change the file sizes. I have heard others say they thought there was a difference in the image also, but nobody has been able to pin it down.

mikey

Return to PSG - Tutorials