Using Layers to Create Slide Transitions

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Gold only. Provide a link if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
ProShow Hall of Fame

Using Layers to Create Slide Transitions

Postby DickK » Mon May 28, 2007 10:04 am

Okay, this stuff may be obvious to everyone else but it took me a while to realize that I could create my own types of transitions between two slides.

The trick is to simply insert a slide between them that has contains both of them as layers. Turn off the ProShow transitions entirely and create the transition effect you want with pan or zoom, color effects, whatever your imagination can come up with. It's easy, effective and can add great impact -- of course, like everything just don't overdo it. I created an example using an effect I made for a slide show I'm working on and posted it to the PhotoDex site. I hope it will inspire a few other creative ways to use the tools we've got!

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 9646&alb=0

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby Brenda » Mon May 28, 2007 11:58 am

Hi Dick,

Thanks for posting your demo, you explained the steps well..and given me some ideas to think about.

Brenda

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon May 28, 2007 1:57 pm

Had not thought about that.... thanks for trigger some ideas...!!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon May 28, 2007 3:52 pm

Hmmm.... wasn't obvious to everyone after all ;) Thanks for the feedback.

Some quite strange combinations are easily created with mixed motion types and having both slides rotate. I'm sure there would be a use for a few of them but a couple just made me cross eyed.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon May 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Hey Dick,

For me most things are only obvious when someone else shows it to me.... (ha ha ).... When I saw what you did it was a "duh -- gosh that makes sense".... moment.... It is one of the things that makes this forum so valuable... other's insights!!!!!

Good job!

Postby Barbara_K » Mon May 28, 2007 7:11 pm

Dick,

So simple but something I never thought of either. Thanks for sharing your discovery. I really like this effect.

Barbara

Homer

Postby Homer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi Had a question about having a slide split in the middle and have half slide to the left and the other half slide to the right. Saw a demo from Dickk and he had a intro with words doing this. It would work similar to a curtain opening. Any ideas out there.
Thanks
Homer

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Maybe I'm dense but can you explain how what you want is different from the curtain opening?

That's all I used in the opening to the demo by the way. Just a slide with caption that splits.

Dick

Re: Using Layers to Create Slide Transitions

Postby JoeS1 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:17 am

Dick, I have done a few shows and all have been straight forward. Now I,m trying to have a slide transition from b&w to color. The b&w fading out or going small, then the color fading in or going large. I thought this tutorial would work. However I'm getting confused with the terminology "slides" and "layers".

Is all the transition in your example being accomplished in one frame having two layers? If so I looked at that and get confused with "copy slide 2". Is that "copy layer 2"? Copy to where? I cant even find the copy command in the layers and motion sections.

Can you give me a few hints?
Thanks Joe S

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Using Layers to Create Slide Transitions

Postby DickK » Sat May 30, 2009 9:32 am

"Slide" just means what ProShow uses the term for -- a block on the Slide List which can have one or many images (in layers) as well as the option for a sound file. So copying a slide is just copying and pasting it on the slide list with the Edit menu or right click copy/paste.
Dick

Return to PSG - Tutorials