The best of the best

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
DPOP

Recycled shows?

Postby DPOP » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:23 pm

What if some shows were just randomly recycled to a new topic area for a period of time before being replaced by another group of shows? I agree with Mike that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to select the "best" shows.

Dan

lisco

Postby lisco » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:51 pm

I agree. After reading Mike's post, I can see where it would create havoc in trying to determine which were chosen and which were not. I still think it's a good idea and will give it more thought. Dan, the recycle idea has promise. Can't put my finger on it, but I like it. Still a lot of things to consider though.

Scott

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:34 pm

Given that this is supposed to be a cataloging of shows that demonstrate or illustrate a technique or style particularly well, and not an awards type recognition, I suggest:

Set up a committee of 3 to 5 people who might be willing to review shows against a written set of criteria and let them make the selections. They can remain anonymous, if that serves best. At any rate, it should get the job done. And, if it seems to work as anticipated, maybe the members could be swapped out from time to time.

The fine points can be worked out once there is some consensus as to whether the fundamental idea has any merit.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff

jtneal

Postby jtneal » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:59 am

I can see how this might cause a problem. Is there anyway the shows could be selected by the number of times people click on them? Maybe that would be to hard to do. Would there be a way at least to organize the shows according to what they are based on? Like having one section for training shows, and another for nature shows, and so on. Either way I hope there is a way to do it but not if it is going to cause fighting to happen.

-Jon

Postby logcabin07 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Maybe I'm naive, but do you think that self-promotion of this sort would really be an issue? I mean, really, how would it benefit somebody to be able to say, "Hey, I'm a Best of the Best in a ProShow forum?" From what I've read on these posts, the vast majority of the people on here are here to learn. I've never had a sense of anyone trying to show off, and even the contributors who have had much praise heaped upon them for their work have--bar none---been humble and appreciative. And even if some 'ringers' would slip in through over-voting or whatever, I think that all of us would pretty much see through it. Let's face it: every once in a while there is a superlative over-the-top show that makes us sit up and go "WOW!".....and then there are the rest of them. It's the WOW shows that need to be preserved. You can just look at the numbers of responses and the type of comments to the Sample Shows to see which ones are the creme dela creme.

How about a 'nomination' page that would open the voting on a particular show, and then people can respond with their positive votes? If it gets 50 (or 100, or whatever) yeas, it becomes a Best of Best. Maybe we could have an unwritten rule that no one nominates their own show (in my mind that would be pretty egotistical anyway) or votes more than once on the same show.

Terry

Postby fiona » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:41 pm

logcabin07 wrote:Maybe I'm naive, but do you think that self-promotion of this sort would really be an issue? I mean, really, how would it benefit somebody to be able to say, "Hey, I'm a Best of the Best in a ProShow forum?" From what I've read on these posts, the vast majority of the people on here are here to learn. I've never had a sense of anyone trying to show off, and even the contributors who have had much praise heaped upon them for their work have--bar none---been humble and appreciative. And even if some 'ringers' would slip in through over-voting or whatever, I think that all of us would pretty much see through it. Let's face it: every once in a while there is a superlative over-the-top show that makes us sit up and go "WOW!".....and then there are the rest of them. It's the WOW shows that need to be preserved. You can just look at the numbers of responses and the type of comments to the Sample Shows to see which ones are the creme dela creme.

How about a 'nomination' page that would open the voting on a particular show, and then people can respond with their positive votes? If it gets 50 (or 100, or whatever) yeas, it becomes a Best of Best. Maybe we could have an unwritten rule that no one nominates their own show (in my mind that would be pretty egotistical anyway) or votes more than once on the same show.

Terry

Sounds good to me - it certainly is the 'WOW' shows that we 'd like to be highlighted & learn from.

Fiona
Fiona

Honorary ProShow PHD

"Best of the Best" or, "The shows that inspir

Postby DanDan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi to all that are commenting here,
I'm wondering, what did I start here. Please go back and re-read the original post. This is kind of going in a direction that I did not mean for it to go. Maybe it was in my wording of "Best of the Best", I am not sure.
At first I began to think, well maybe not many care about that topic. Then next thing I knew there were all kinds of responses. The last page or so has steered in a different direction.
I did not intend to start a popularity contest, nor emphasis the shows that should be top prize winners. My thoughts were to emphasis inspiration to us. There have been so many good shows, yes it is hard to keep track of them. But,.....once in awhile after you have seen dozens of good shows, there is a show or two in particuliar that you recall. Not necessarily because of bells and whistles, but because it made you think, or it made you feel, or it made you act, or it made you smile, or it helped you to create. That is a show of inspiration. In the original post Dawn was very inspired by a particuliar show, and in reading her post I recalled a show that inspired me from November of 05 that was similiar in some aspects. I posted a link to that show so that she could also draw from the inspiration. That was what started my thread topic here.
There are a lot of different art forms. Slideshow creation is also an art form. To be able to create you have to be inspired. I thought it might help if some of those creative inspirations were reposted. Now, I'm not sure, in some ways I wish I had not started this thread. All of this talk about possible self promotting and nominations, and voting......"ye gads" what have I started!

_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

lisco

Postby lisco » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Dan,
I really don't have much to add, as usual. I just wanted to air my thoughts.
I understand where you're coming from. That's what drew me to this Forum to begin with. I love to try and figure out how something was done, or just sit back and admire. I still think it's a great idea to showcase some shows. As you pointed out, those that inspire, but how does one pick which ones are inspiring. As mentioned earlier, by committee? I'm affraid that it might turn out like your original post and become twisted a way not intended. If it's a contest someone wants, then Photodex offers one a month with prizes.

Just thinking out loud.

Scott

Postby logcabin07 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:09 am

No, no, Dan, I think we're all onboard with you about the 'spirit' of the Best of the Best; we're just brainstorming about a practical way to come up with which shows would qualify. Who decides?

Terry

lisco

Re: The best of the best

Postby lisco » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:29 pm

DanDan wrote:Would any of you be willing to contribute to posting your ideas of the "Best". All of the shows are good, I don't want any hurt feelings if some are not mentioned. Would the "Odds and Ends" be the proper place for this.
Please post if you have ideas, or if you think this is not a good idea. Many of us have the creativity inside of us but just need a little inspiration to help bring it out. Should we limit to say the three shows that inspired us most!
Much peace and love in 2007! :)
_Dan

Dan,

I went back a re-read your original post. (show's you I'm still here. :) ) Here I go thinking out loud again. WHAT IF... everyone that wanted to, contributed a maximum of three shows, as you suggested, in a certain time frame. (say a month) No text, just show links. Then we take another undetermined amount of time to view and vote on which show/s we prefer, with, say, no more than a vote or two per person. The way that could be tracked is by posting. All postings have a day/time stamp along with the persons userid. No need to comment on the shows, just a vote. And we take the top however many and they can have their own special place. Or would that get to confusing and ppl lose sight that it's not the popular show, but an inspiring one? I'm probably wrong. (I usually am) :)

Again, just thinking out loud.

Scott

Previous

Return to Odds & Ends