19" LCD Monitor - Power Problems?

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!
Honorary ProShow PHD

19" LCD Monitor - Power Problems?

Postby DanDan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:50 am

Hi,
Scratching my head on this one. My monitor which I love has been powering off (?) for about three weeks now. It is intermittent. I can use for a long (or short) period. There is no reason that I can think of for the behavior. This along with everything but printers and DSL modem is on an APC back up power supply. It does not come back on by itself, but I can unplug, go get a drink or coffee, let the dogs out, come back, plug it back in and it comes on fine. It may not go off again for several hours, or even again that day. As far as I can tell it is only the monitor. The computer and other equipment is fine. I am wondering if I need a new power supply. The power supply is a cord with a transformer in line (I guess that is a standard for LCD, cause the TVs are also like that).
Any Ideas, are there any sort of diagnostics that I can run. All of the eqipment is HP. I probably will need to contact customer service, but thought I would through it out on the board first.
Thanks for any tips you can think of! :)
_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:14 pm

The only time I've seen something like that the issue was a failing power supply--it would heat up and shut down. Cool off and work for a semi-random period.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:32 pm

Power supply is one likely suspect - see how warm it is getting.
If very warm, try this test -- in a heavy plastic bag, put
a bunch of ice cubes. Put that inside another bag for extra
protection. Set that on top of the power supply to keep it
cool and see what happens (make sure you don't get it wet).

You can also try warming the supply up with a hair dryer and
see if that causes it to shut down (but not too hot).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Update

Postby DanDan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:01 am

Hi Dick and Mikey,
Thanks for replying. I knew it was the power supply, I was just hoping for other ideas. Mikey good advise, thanks, I will try that next. Right now I have it suspended in air not resting on anything. No levitation, just hanging by the cord. :lol:
If you wanna laugh: I called HP customer support after seeing on line that the power supply is obsolete (wouldn't you know!). But they gave me a number of a brokerage in Texas that should have stock. Well they had stock alright at $97.00 a pop!
Ok so I get back on line, I see skads of listings on ebay, with pricing ranging from $9.99 - $28.00. Humm, another price gouge in there.
I did put a bid in, but might as well go ahead an buy out right. Geez $97.00 bucks for a power cord, you've got to be joking! :twisted:
_Dan
Slideshows: PSG 3. & Producer, Photo Editing: PSP9, PS Elements 5.0 (begining), Google Piccasa

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:35 pm

Well, the fact that you find "scads of them on ebay" immediately sets
off the warning flags for me
1) sounds like a common problem
2) are the ones on ebay any good or do they all have the same issue ???

Sounds like much more than just a power cord - those sort of things
usually have some sort of switching power supply inside there, so
it is a bit more complex than an extension cord with a "bump in the middle" :D
From your description, sounds like the same sort of supply that laptops use
where it is 110 VAC in (or 220 on the other side of the pond) and some other
DC voltage out.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Honorary ProShow PHD

Another update, and laughing at myself.

Postby DanDan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:40 am

Well this is how it breaks down. I had put a bid in on e-bay, (confusing site, I don't like to use, and do not have the hang of it). But I never heard back. Meanwhile a couple of days go by, at this point I had been trying everything I could think of to keep the power module cool. At the worst on a Sunday, it would stay up only about ten minutes at a whack. I would then unplug for about 15 mins. This went on all day long. Gee I got a lot done that day during the intermitten down times. First thing Monday still no word on the e-bay bid. I clicked the "Buy Now" button, and ordered one for $15.95. Later the same morning I received a notice that my bid was accepted and that I needed to pay. Long story, short, (yeah I know too late for that), I received 2 power modules, one @ 9.99, one @ 15.95, from the same seller. Oh well, if they are obsolete, I have a spare right. Well here is where I just have to laugh. :lol: Since ordering the (2nd) power module, my original has not flaked out once. That's been two weeks now. :lol: Do you supose it felt threatened by being replaced! Or maybe somehow I have exorcised it's demons. Hey maybe we need to try that philosophy with PSG/PSP. Threaten to replace.

Have a good weekend everyone, don't forget to step back and laugh at yourself every once in awhile.
_Dan

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:52 am

Spare "things" have a way of doing that. Like the spare tire
for your car -- you can tell when the spare is flat because then
is when you get a real flat. If the spare is fully inflated and in
good shape, you never get flats :lol:

mikey

Return to Odds & Ends