A Winter's Spell

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.
Esteemed Member

A Winter's Spell

Postby northward » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:11 am

Clear, calm, cold conditions. Camera goes warm. Hard to grasp that I'm still inside city limits. An undeclared nature area. Quite a few times I have walked and scrambled around here before, but never on such a winter's day. Not a single trace of the big city nearby. And no joggers, no dog walkers, no kids, just nobody at all. A sense of "irreality" in time and place hangs in the air. An atmosphere that I try to breathe in. A spellbinding presence that's hard to let go, hard to turn away from.
Later the pictures show everything that was around me with blinding clarity. Yet, somehow they did not quite reflect the emotional surge that went through me at the time. What could I do about that --- Maybe this called for some kind of experimentation with the images. A tweak that would give them a hint of "something else". What I came up with was a sandwich-technique in Photoshop, starting with two identical layers of the same image. The upper layer then was converted to black and white plus a graphic effect. This manipulated layer then received a certain degree of transparency so the unchanged color layer shines through. Both layers then are merged into one (quite a basic method that many have tried). At least in this technical way a "literal" rendition and a subjective expression coexist in the final image.
Wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrLva59-hng

For the original version built with images without graphic manipulation go here:
https://youtu.be/kYEBvvcd2BE
Last edited by northward on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Minolta SLRs, first digital camera Apple QuickTake 1996, various others since then ---

Re: A Winter's Spell

Postby Bob R » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Interesting process. It is apparent that the original photos were very well done and the landscape beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Postby PhotoMill » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Good day, Wolf !!,

As mentioned before to you, I am an unclassified follower of anything that you produce. BUT, perhaps I should say simply "but", in this vid, I must admit that the "granular" effect on all photos just simply, did not do it for me. I suspect that had the show pics been in their basic clear format, it would have been a grabber for me at this end. On the other hand, what do I know !!?? Perspective is in the eye of the beholder, right ? LOL

Best regards and never quit your stuff...
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Esteemed Member

Postby northward » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:48 am

Thank you Bob and Steve for commenting. I must admit, I'm not really convinced of the graphic treatment myself. It may work for some pix, doubtful on others. Generally, it seems to give better results on paper. Not so good on screen. The grain can irritate, especially with zooming and panning. So, I prefer the "clean" version too. You can judge for yourselves, I added it now.
All the best
Wolf
-- Minolta SLRs, first digital camera Apple QuickTake 1996, various others since then ---

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback