Layer motion syncronisation - the best way?

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Layer motion syncronisation - the best way?

Postby AlanSmith1961 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:41 am

I have 4 photographs taken with motor wind which have been identically cropped and aligned on the backgrounds.
I wish to have a single slide which cross fades across these shots and at the same time zooms and pans the resulting image.
I wish to be able to come back later and fine tune the zoom / pan in a single place.

I have achieved this by creating 5 layers, 4 for the photos and the last in the stack being a copy of the last photo and renamed “Master”.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Master (a copy of Photo 4 layer)

I then setup the zoom and pan on the Master as I require, and then set up the zoom x, y and x, y pan on each of the first 4 layers to use a modifier to track the master.
The cross fading across layers is simply setup using the keyframe editor.

Photo 1 K1------------K2 xcut
Photo 2 K1----------------------------K2 xcut
Photo 3 K1-----------------------------------------------K2 xcut
Photo 4 K1------------------------------------------------------------------K2 xcut
Master. K1------------------------------------------------------------------K2 xcut

In summary, to achieve the common motion and zoom of all the layers I have had to create and setup 16 modifiers!
I want to do another slide with 8 photos and this is beginning to feel like a very clunky approach.

Is this really the best way of doing this?

Thanks for any advice
Alan

Note – I feel I should be able to use the last photo in the layer stack as the “Master” but I found this to be slightly unreliable on the transition to photo 4.

Re: Layer motion syncronisation - the best way?

Postby heckydog » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:52 pm

I'm surprised none of the expert members on the forum have offered a reply to this. I'll give my not so expert opinion.

Because you stated - "I wish to be able to come back later and fine tune the zoom / pan in a single place.", that pretty much limits you to using modifiers. Photodex, as far as I know, currently doesn't offer any other way to do what you want.

"Is this really the best way of doing this? " , afaik it's the only way, and I agree it's very clunky. Other software does this type of thing much more elegantly.

Joe

Re: Layer motion syncronisation - the best way?

Postby AlanSmith1961 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I'll keep using this very clunky approach.
It is a shame there is not some kind of hierarchical container mechanism. I believe pictures to exe does this.

Thanks
Alan.

Return to PSP - General Discussion