Audio out of sync in exes with mp4 videos

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Audio out of sync in exes with mp4 videos

Postby wowfactorpix » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:17 pm

I have experienced this problem with Producer 4.5 in the past and now with Producer 6. I have experienced it on 3 different machines, so I don't think it's an issue with my hardware. My current machine is a Lenovo W540 mobile workstation that I use for video editing with Premiere Pro. It has ample power, 16GB RAM and a SSD. I'm running Windows 8.1

PROBLEM: I create exe's of slide shows that include a number of slides having MP4 video layers. When I run the exe files, the audio is out of sync with the video. This is a deal breaker when the production needs to have good lip-sync. In the past, I've tried generating my video files in different formats (.avi and .wmv) to no avail.

I also experience the problem when running the show 'full-screen' from within Proshow Producer.

I need to produce .exe files for my presentations because I need the show to pause at predetermined places so I can expand on a point before resuming the show.

Looking through the forum, I see that similar problems have been reported over a number of years, but I haven't found any posts that report a proper fix.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem other than creating separate files for video and audio and offsetting them? Has Photodex ever acknowledged the problem?

Thank you kindly.
Rob Smith AAPS
Freelance Photographer

Re: Audio out of sync in exes with mp4 videos

Postby debngar » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:16 am

I can't remember exactly but recall experiencing some sync issues over a year ago. There was a preference setting that needed changing, then close the program so it resets. Then reopen the program and it worked.

Let me see if I can pin down specifics to post here.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby debngar » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:24 am

Ok... read over the forum thread linked below. This is what I found and how I fixed it. If it doesn't fix it for you, I would suggest contacting Photodex support. They're quite helpful and should be able to work it out with you.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22324&hilit=audio+sync
Debbie

Postby wowfactorpix » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks for trying to help, Debbie. I had my fingers crossed that your solution (I read the previous topics) would work, but to no avail.

When I uncheck, in Preferences, (Video importing) "Avoid using DirectShow when possible", the rendered .exe file plays the audio for the video but there is just a black background where the video should appear. So I can't tell if the audio is in sync! Audio and no video is worse than audio-out-of-sync+video!

I noticed that when 'DirectShow' is unchecked, import of video clips to a slide and generating the .exe files happens much quicker, suggesting that Producer is happy to accept the video clips 'as is'. That's encouraging, they shouldn't need to be re-rendered by Producer (after all, they're functional .mp4s that play properly in wmplayer.exe), but it doesn't help when the output from Producer is out of sync.

I haven't modified any keyframes in the video slides, so that's not the problem either (unlike eacole1's experience in the earlier topic).

I have also tried various permutations of the playback preferences (Enable GPU accelerated playback on & off; Enable GPU accelerated previews on & off; Enable DirectDraw support on & off). So far, nothing I try is solving the problem. So frustrating.

I'll take it up with Photodex and report back.

Thanks again for your time. Kind regards, Rob.
Rob Smith AAPS
Freelance Photographer

Postby debngar » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:41 am

Make sure you close the show and program after changing the preference settings, then reopen the program and show. This is supposed to make a difference and is easy to miss.

If you did that and it still doesn't work, then yes, contact Photodex. They should be able to help (hopefully!). :D
Debbie

Postby amreinkr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:41 pm

I have had this happen many times witth MP4s (most recently, just last week). Disabling DirectDraw seems to do the trick for me.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Hello

I have a similar problem : my video is an avi file but I have the sound of this video out of sync if I output to a MP4 file, but it is correct if I create an exe or Mpeg2 file.

If the key 1 of the video layer is at the begining of the transition, the MP4 output is correct.

If I desable DirectShow, Proshow is unstable then hangs.
Chris Marie

Re: Audio out of sync in exes with mp4 videos SOLVED! YAY!!!

Postby wowfactorpix » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:25 am

It's now 18 months since I posted this problem on the forum and I now believe that I have solved it.

BACKGROUND

I have been using Producer since Version 4.5 in 2010 and I'm currently running Version 6 on Windows 10. Since the beginning, I have experienced problems with creating presentations as .exe files when those presentations contain embedded videos (.mp4). The problem is that the video playback is erratic ('stuttery' at times) and the audio gets out of sync with the video. The out-of-sync audio is infuriatingly obvious when there is vision of speaking talent in the videos.

Because I have experienced the same problem on three different machines since 2010 convinces me that it's not a hardware or OS issue. My current machine is a capable laptop that I use to edit video using Adobe Premiere Pro CC, and run other CC applications: Photoshop; Indesign; Audition; plus Lightroom. It has 16GB RAM, an SSD + external USB3 HDDs. Its native display resolution is 2880x1620 pixels.

Today, I decided to try to solve the problem again, and started by updating the display drivers for the laptop's two built-in video adaptors: Intel HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia Quaddro K2100. I created a Producer .exe and the problem persisted. FRUSTRATING!

THEN I HAD AN IDEA! Every computer that I have used to work with Producer has had a monitor with at least one dimension greater than HD Video (1920x1080 pixels). Could that be the cause of the problem?

I downgraded the display resolution on my laptop monitor from 2880x1620 to 1920x1080 pixels via Control Panel. Then I edited my presentation in Producer and generated the .exe file while the display resolution was 1920x1080.

EUREKA! My .exe file plays video smoothly and with sound in sync.

Perhaps this fix may be of use to other people.

Kind regards,
Rob Smith
Wowfactorpix
Last edited by wowfactorpix on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Smith AAPS
Freelance Photographer

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:40 am

Sounds like you may be on to something there. One thing to keep in mind - .exe shows are a bit of a special case - unlike video formats where the audio and video are part of the same rendered file, the .exe version is sort of a pre-rendered version of the show with the video/slides and audio files as different parts of the file and it gets rendered "on the fly" when you run the .exe (sort of a wrapper for the presenter plugin) so an exe file will often play differently on different machines depending on the processor speed, amount of ram, video drivers etc. While the .exe format works and sounds like a great idea, remember that the final rendering if you will is happening as the .exe is running and the same .exe may play differently on different machines. My usual format is 720p mp4 and looks good on my 60 inch TV (I put the mp4 on a thumb drive and plug it into the TV). Your case of needing to pause is a special case, but for normal shows, I prefer to stick with a standard video format (which can be played direct on a TV or even a Mac for example).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby wowfactorpix » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:00 am

Yes, I understand what you are saying gpsmikey.

Running a presentation/slideshow as a pure video .mp4 file is easier and doesn't cause problems. I need to run my presentations as .exe because, essentially, I am using Proshow Producer as a substitute for Microsoft Powerpoint. When I'm presenting at a conference, I need my show to pause at a particular place so that I can expand on a point being made. I then resume the playback and proceed to the following slides.

In the past, using Proshow Producer in this mode, with embedded .mp4 videos, I have experienced the audio-out-of-sync problem. Thankfully, I have discovered the source of the problem and can now use Proshow Producer as a capable substitute for Microsoft Powerpoint.

Kind regards,
Rob
Rob Smith AAPS
Freelance Photographer

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting