Can't create a BluRay disc

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Can't create a BluRay disc

Postby Happy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:36 am

I had no luck burning BD with PSG3 so bought PSG 7.0 and upgraded to 8.0.
My show has 460 slides plus 3 vid clips totaling 46min @10.5Gb. It rendered to DVD ok. Burned to BD after a number of “not responding” only to create a few spoiled coasters. The simulation feature finished successfully. Made an ISO image and used IMGBURN with the following result: Replay stalls after 4 slides and repeats with menu background. Lowered write rate to min. Called Photodex and was told it’s my burner.(Disappointed in their IT) It’s a new LG BD burner, updated drive, using Verbatim BD-R discs. The writer plays purchased BD, so that can’t be at fault. I can view the ISO image with another program.
I’ve been at this for a month to get a high resolution disc with no success.
Any help or suggestion appreciated!

Win 7, 32bit, 2quad CPU @2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram

Re: Can't create a BluRay disc

Postby carnut2 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:23 am

I'm surprised that no one can offer a hint as to what's wrong with my procedure!
I converted the show to mp4 but poor quality. I know BD is now considered "old school" but it's the only way I know to pass on a high quality copy.
Please review my efforts.
Thanx in advance

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:12 am

My preference is to create MP4 files and play them from a USB stick. That said, as far as the BD goes, they may be correct about your burner (or the player). It is important to understand that a burned DVD is NOT the same as a purchased one (typically) because the purchased one has been pressed - the reflective data layer is different - I have seen this issue in the past with regular DVD's where a burned one will not play in a player that handles the pressed (commercial) DVD's just fine. One thing that can help determine just where the problem is - when you burn the ISO to DVD with Imgburn, check the box on there to "verify" - it will write the data to the DVD then go back and re-read it to verify it can read it correctly. If it goes through the verify quickly with no errors, then the disk is good and most likely the player is having trouble reading a burned disk. See what you get with the verify box checked in Imgburn - that should give us a clue where the problem is. In the past, I have found that some media (DVD, not BD - I have not used BD) will play fine when burned and other (cheap stuff) will not play, stalls, jumps etc. since the reader can not read the data off the disk fast enough to keep up.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby carnut2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks Mikey,
The verification seemed ok, but I'm no expert. What do you think this all means?
Here is the readout:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 1.00 (ATA)
Current Profile: BD-R

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 5,245,696
Size: 10,743,185,408 bytes
Time: 1165:44:46 (MM:SS:FF)
MID: VERBAT-IMe-000
Supported Read Speeds: 2x, 4.2x, 6.2x, 8x, 9.9x, 12.1x
Current Read Speed: 2.6x - 6.2x

TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 5245695)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 5245696)

Track Information:
Session 1...
-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, LTS: 5245696, LRA: 5245695)

Disc Definition Structure:
Certified: No
Scanned: No
Manufacturers Name: HLDS BD-DRIVE
Additional ID: HLDS-JB7VERA
Serial Number: 2F114244 1

BD Disc Information:
Disc ID: VERBAT-IMe-000
Disc Type: BD-R
Disc Size: 120 mm
Disc Class: 0
Disc Version: 1
Disc Time Stamp: 03/2010
Number of Layers: 1
Layer Type: Writable
DVD Layer Present: No
CD Layer Present: No
Channel Bit Length: 74.50 nm (25 GB Per Layer)
Push-Pull Polarity: Positive
Recorded Mark Polarity: HTL
BCA Present: Yes
Maximum Transfer Rate: Not Specified
First PAA of Data Zone: 131,072
Last PAA of Data Zone: 1,658,494

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:49 pm

If the verification was by Imgburn (you had the verify box checked) and it seemed to read it OK with no issues or stalling (I like to watch the verify progress while it is running to see if it seems smooth), then I suspect that the issue is your BD player has issues with either "burned" disks in general or with that specific brand. Understand that "burned" disks are different from pressed disks - pressed disks use an aluminum reflective data layer while "burned" disks use an organic dye that changes when hit with a laser and the two don't get read the same due to those differences. I have not played much with disks recently (and all mine are regular DVDs), however in the past, there were some real problems with some brands of disks and some players. I thought that was gone, but perhaps it is still an issue. Not sure why you didn't get good results with mp4 unless you converted it from a standard DVD (which is lower res). I usually render to mp4 720p and it looks great on my 60 inch TV when I play it from a thumb drive. Some people like 1080p better, but that makes the file MUCH bigger and I am happy with the 720p mp4.
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby carnut2 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:30 am

Well, I'm like a dog with a bone. I had to figure out what was wrong.
I tried to burn the ISO file with Nero this time and it failed as well. Among the high tech gobly-gook was a line saying "illegal disc". So even though Verbatim discs are not the cheapest, my burner does not like it. I tried the mp4 route again but I couldn't figure out where to adjust the quality level. They must be somewhere other than the default values.

Postby heckydog » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:03 am

In the readout info it says "Disc Time Stamp: 03/2010"

Is that, possibly, the date when the discs were manufactured? If it is, then maybe the dye on the discs is getting old, and unreliable. After more than 6 years who knows what the discs may have been subjected to.

I checked the disc info in Imgburn for one of my BD discs and it doesn't have that info shown. So I'm just taking a stab in the dark. By the way, I use Ridata BD-R discs with Imgburn and they are very reliable.

Joe

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting