ProShow Gold File Extensions

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

ProShow Gold File Extensions

Postby suzafone » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:32 pm

In looking at the various slide shows I've done over the years, I see there are many file extensions: Application files, movie clip files, ProShow Slideshow files, VOB, and PXC files. I'm in a quandary as to why all these extensions, can't recall having to make a choice. My latest slide show is a PXC file, and when I click on this show (it's listed in My Documents), I get asked "How do you want to open this file?". I click on "Look for an app in the Store" and the response is "Your search for PXC had no results". If I click on "More Apps", my choices are: Internet Explorer, iTunes, Notepad, Office XML Handler, Paint, Photoshop Elements 14 Editor. Then there's the option to click on "Always use this app to open .pxc files". I am using ProShow 8 and now have Windows 10. When clicking on any of the VOB, Application, Movie Clip & WMV file shows, this takes me right to the actual video to watch. But clicking on the ProShow Slideshow file extension shows just takes me to the ProShow Gold Interface, where you put together your shows. I know I can then watch the actual video, but seems there should be a quicker way to do that! So basically, two questions: PXC file extension and ProShow Slideshow file extension.

Re: ProShow Gold File Extensions

Postby im42n8 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Pxc is the cache file ( kinda like a transcode file). Your show has an extension of PSH. You can't open the show by clicking on the pxc file. The pxc file is what allows the program to begin playing or scrubbing quickly When you tell it to. If you deleted that file, ProShow would regenerate it when the show was reopened (and ProShow couldn't find the associated pxc file). If you deleted the PSH file, however, your show would be gone...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: ProShow Gold File Extensions

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:02 pm

What Dale said - .pxc is a cache file and may be deleted. The .psh file is your actual show source file (it is in text - you can open it in notepad etc. and view it. Not easy reading, but it is a text file). A VOB file is going to be part of a DVD and your movie clips will be in something like mp4 or whatever video format you are using for video. The key file for a show though is the .psh file.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - General Discussion