The New Updated Proshow Version 8.0.3645

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

The New Updated Proshow Version 8.0.3645

Postby Deadman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Well the update is out and I paid, should have waited, don't see much of anything for the money. Says some fixes and a little more music, but disappointed that they didn't do a 64 bit version.. SO I spent the money but don't see much difference except the version number changed, Let me know what someone else thinks.. 98 bucks.. Still think they like their online version and this one is fading away it seems.

Re: The New Updated Proshow Version 8.0.3645

Postby vedsez » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:33 pm

The version number has changed with little touch up. I was hoping and have great expectations non English characters can also be integrated with so simple coding how ever failed once again.

Postby im42n8 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:28 am

Folks, this is NOT an earthshaking release. There are a number of small improvements to the program. However, the text bounding box for captions (and text layers) was used as the reason for the major version number. If you created a show in this version that utilized a caption bounding box it'd discombobulate the program.

But, as Mona noted in another thread, you can more easily concatenate shows (combine one show into another), including the music track easily. There are output changes too ... Some tweaked, some removed, some added. A number of bug fixes were included. Quite a few changes were made that gave users a much improved Wizard experience.

Whoever is running things at Photodex is deathly afraid of something called feature bloat ... And they don't want it becoming a program like After Effects (lots of capability but which is only accessible via a steep learning curve). Photodex is focused on the new and casual user ... Who they want to be able to use the program right out of the box without resorting to a glance at the help documentation to figure things out. In the process, the more advanced user is left out in the cold, so to speak. There are a number of usability features that are in need of improvement ... And have remained so for some time.

The crop feature is limited and there's no reason why it can't be improved and streamlined to make the process easier with additional utility. The outline and shadow features are very limited. The outline feature is centered on the outside edge of the layer getting the outline. When its width is expanded, it proceeds from that centerline. So, the outline is half on and half off the layer. All of it should be OFF the layer. Further, it's corners are rounded. Doesn't look the best most of the time. Shadows are always as if the light source is in the upper right. Sometimes we want or need that shadow somewhere else. Too, the shadow width on the right is not always the same as the width on the bottom. The width can't be changed. The opacity can be changed in Producer but you can't change the appearance (diffusion ... Blurred appearance). Rotate Center has a bunch of inherent capability that, unless you know the secret, you can't take advantage of. While you can sort of make effective use of the feature if you use values between plus or minus 50, all bets are off if you use a value outside the boundaries of the layer. Layer's can't be skewed. Tilt was a nice feature but it "skews" two opposite sides at a time only ... And the method it uses doesn't lend itself well to you figuring out the sides width or height at any given tilt value.

These are some of the feature set enhancement/improvement requests that went up to Photodex long ago ... But they haven't reached a point where Photodex sees any real value in implementing them. Don't hold your breath. The outline and shadow features haven't been updated since the program was introduced. The rotate center feature was introduced in v4 back in 2010... And hasn't been given the framework to take advantage of its full capabilities (such as using a specific point around which to rotate a layer ... A point that YOU specify and which is anywhere YOU want it to be ... A point that multiple layers can use. I know how to do it ... But, I had to create the ability in an Excel spreadsheet to do so.).

Anyway, unless they see a valid purpose for feature request ... And there's enough of a request volume, the feature or enhancement won't get any or much attention. The enhanced usage of some aspect of the program then remains the domain of folks like myself who dig into things out of sheer curiousity or need and have the time to do so. As outliers (the few ProShow users who can take advantage of undocumented aspects of the program), ProShow pays little attention to such folks. We're anomalies. If you want to see a feature or an enhancement to a feature, drop Photodex a line (or two or three or four ...).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Jeep » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 am

vedsez wrote:The version number has changed with little touch up. I was hoping and have great expectations non English characters can also be integrated with so simple coding how ever failed once again.

You are right. In many parts of the program, accented characters are unwanted ! Localization of the program is a true nightmare as nothing has been done since the very first releases to help translators. Concurrence (PTE) is much better as the program has languages files included and any foreign people can start using the program just after downloading it.
We cross the fingers for next releases.
Jean-Pierre
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby angior » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:09 am

Hi,

Just found a great news - from download section of Photodex you can get a version 8.0.3648 now instead of a previous one, build 8.0.3645 . And there are any information about what's changed in a new build from Photodex official site.

Any ideas?

Angior

Postby vedsez » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:40 am

I have finally solved my non English chracters how to work. I have found out It got nothing to with Proshow. It is matter of Language and keyboard settings of this language.

Postby Don Hammock » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Sorry if this the wrong place to post, I tried to post a New Post but it would never let me put in a Subject.

I am still behind the learning curve of going from PSG to PSP Version 7. So, I'm not thrilled with the prospect of having to learn an even newer version.
I am about to run out of time for the Free upgrade to Version 8. I have seen posts not real positive towards Version 8, and am questioning whether I should go ahead and get the Free upgrade to Version 8, or stay with Version 7.0.3527.
I would Really appreciate input.

Thanks,
Don

Postby im42n8 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Well, the reason to upgrade to v8 has to do with Text Boxes. Nice addition that would have been nice to have awhile back. If you don't use captions (text layers) much, I don't think there's much of a reason to upgrade. Version 9 (I'm sure it'll be a major version number again) is probably still a year away (well, at least 6 months or so) and it's hard to say what they'll come up with. I doubt it'll be what I'd like to see (and many of us longtime users as well) but, it might be a very pleasant surprise.

HOWEVER, if the upgrade to v8 is free ... GET IT NOW! You won't notice that much difference between v8 and v7. I'm all for saving money. You're basically just getting text boxes (which are nice). Save yourself some $s. You won't regret it. You might if you find yourself upgrading at a later date and actually paying for it!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Valued Member

Postby jskintauy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi All,

I am amazed at the shows I can create with this program and I am pretty happy with the feature mix. I agree with Photodex's decision to not add a ton more features that are likely to go unused. I find it interesting that I am not a power user (still struggle with key framing at times, despite it being fairly straightforward) and yet I am able to consistently create compelling shows.
Of course, I would like some of the UI issues corrected and a higher performing 64 bit version, but I am not even sure I care about a true 3D version at the expense of a lot more complexity.
I am a Photoshop/Lightroom power user and that consumes enough of my valuable time :D
Jim S

Postby Don Hammock » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Dale,
I took your advice and used the Free upgrade to version 8. I haven't noticed any difference just yet, but am sure I will in the near future. Thanks a million for your input !!!

Take care,
Don

Postby im42n8 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Have fun! :-)

Dale

Return to PSP - General Discussion