Producer Crashing Windows 10 trying to take over

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Producer. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"

Producer Crashing Windows 10 trying to take over

Postby judyfirth » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:58 am

Hi there.
I've been having lots of problems with Producer crashing lately. My laptop is running Windows 8.1 and I've been bombarded with Windows 10 pop ups trying to get me to upgrade. I'm not sure if this may be affecting the running of Producer ?
My laptop which is only around 15 mths old has only 120gb of storage so I'm using files from an external hard drive.
I have 8gb Ram (1.97gb Usable).

I've just come back from an overseas holiday and am keen to start making slideshows. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with Microsoft trying to push Windows 10 and would this have any impact on running Producer ? Or would you suggest working from the desktop & not external hard drive ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Esteemed Member

Re: Producer Crashing Windows 10 trying to take over

Postby Marie78 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 am

Hi

You can get rid of Win10 messages with Never10. Find it with google, download and launch it : you may change your mind afterward and lauch it again to accept Win10.

I do not think anyway that this is the reason of your crash.

I also use an external unit and have no crash. Have your unit enough power ? One laptop USB plug does not always give enough.

The problem may also be elsewhere... What is the space remaining on C: ?

Edit : the not had dissapeared !
Last edited by Marie78 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Marie

Postby heckydog » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:22 am

Another question. You say you have 8GB of RAM but only 1.97GB usable. That doesn't sound right unless you have a lot of unnecessary tasks running in the background.

Is your Windows 8 version 32bit or 64bit? If it's 32bit, then the 8GB of RAM is not relevant. The 32 bit version can only access a maximum of 4GB of RAM. This may be part of the reason why you're getting crashes.

Personally, I don't think the Windows 10 nags have much to do with your crashes.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:53 am

I agree with Joe's comments, but take the time to read this other thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23830
One thing Microsoft has done recently is changed their stupid pop-up message about windows 10 so that when you click the "x" on the window to close it, you are actually agreeing to the upgrade :evil: That is a BAD thing to do.
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby judyfirth » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:34 am

Thanks for all your advice. I'm going to install Never10 as I'm not keen on using Windows 10. I'm also looking at possibly getting a new laptop or upgrading my Current one. Can I get some advice of what specs I'd need to enable me to run Producer successfully. Not sure if I'd be better going to a Mac ? Is it easy to change over ?

ANy advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Actually, you don't install "never10.exe" you just put it on your desktop and run it. It deletes the garbage and sets a few settings to keep windows 10 from installing.

As far as a laptop goes, while you can use a Mac, you have to be running windows via parallels or VMWare Fusion to be able to use it since Producer itself only runs under windows.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - Troubleshooting