Microsoft now forcing upgrades without users' consent.

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Re: Microsoft now forcing upgrades without users' consent.

Postby gpsmikey » Tue May 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Check out this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to- ... matically/
I just barely escaped being "upgraded" a couple of nights ago when my system tried to do it to me. Right in the middle of a backup that I was making, it killed the backup process, logged me out and said it was "configuring for windows 10 do not turn off" - I immediately hit reset and did some research. On the link I give above, they have a link to a utility called "never10.exe". I ran that, it deleted 6GB of files M$ had downloaded and configured my machine (win7/64) to NOT upgrade to 10. I caught it soon enough that it had not had a chance to do any damage yet, but I have been hearing horror stories of people that were not fast enough and tried to abort the install part way through. I was willing to roll with the nags about upgrading, but they stepped over the line when they arbitrarily decided to install a new operating system without my permission. Boy was I pissed !!!!!!!

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 am

Hello

it happenned to a friend yesterday : when switching PC on, Windows 10 was installed !

Windows acting as a big virus !

Thanks for the links to both of you
Chris Marie

Postby ginger » Wed May 25, 2016 5:03 am

It downloaded and installed on me without my knowledge last week. I wasn't happy about that, but so far it seems ok. Fortunately, I think I can revert back to Windows 8.1 within 30 days.

Postby bigsewed » Wed May 25, 2016 5:49 am

For me it was a great upgrade...I have no issues.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 25, 2016 6:46 am

One thing that really bothers me is some of the rumors I have been hearing that W10 (after they get everybody sucked in) will turn into a "subscription" just like Office now is as well as Adobe software where you are stuck with a monthly/annual fee you have to pay or it quits working. I don't mind the software where you buy it and it has a year of free updates etc. and if you don't elect for continued maintenance, then it stays where it is with no upgrades, but this "you pay our monthly fee or it stops working" is NOT on my list of things to do as a retired person! There are a LOT of people out there that have not upgraded their software because they simply can't afford the new version. This latest extortion scheme is targeted at the big money from the corporations and they could care less about the folks on a limited income. In addition, the reports of how invasive W10 is and the privacy concerns is a real worry.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby heckydog » Wed May 25, 2016 8:00 am

In case anyone is still receiving the "nags" about upgrading to W10, the update you need to uninstall is KB3035583. It's listed as an important update but all it does is create the nag screen.

I've had that turned off since December but I also noticed I wasn't getting any of the other normal updates, fixes, etc. Irregardless, I downloaded and ran the Never10 file.

This morning I had that old familiar Windows Update icon in my system tray. Hesitantly, I clicked on it. There were 61 updates in there, including the KB3035583 mentioned above. It was unchecked automatically, I'm assuming because Never10 took care of it for me.

So, thanks mikey for that link.

Joe

Postby tdew » Wed May 25, 2016 8:19 am

I am mostly running Windows 10 okay now - but did have some major problems in the beginning. I still don't know why not everyone has this problem, but on two different machines all my files were changed to Read Only - and it was a major headache to regain access to them. It wasn't as simple as unchecking a box. Instead, I had to SHARE the files with myself. Hope it doesn't happen to anyone else, as there's not a lot of help for it out there.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi

Some are very happy with Windows 10, some have problems, some do not want to change and think they have the rigth to decide what they want to install or not on their own PC...

The other problem is all personnal data that Ms wants to collect from our PC. It's not really new, for a lot of personal information was already encoded inside .doc .xls and .ppt

Is has been solved with .docx, xlsx and pptx...
Chris Marie

Postby bobradarbob » Wed May 25, 2016 2:08 pm

This news indicates MS has relented to pressure from users:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376962

bob

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 25, 2016 4:28 pm

The only thing likely to cause them to do an "about face" was the threat of massive legal action against them. As the article points out, re-defining the "X" to accept the upgrade is "counter intuitive and the equivalent of swapping the brake and gas pedals in your car". Maybe it is time for Photodex to create a Linux version of Proshow :D

mikey

Postby Solitude » Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm

For those running Window 7 or 8, not wanting the forced upgrade to 10, go to Control Panel - Windows Update, Change Settings and uncheck the box that says Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates. You will still get the nag message, but Windows 10 will not "forcibly" download and configure if you uncheck this box. Windows 10 data mines, meaning that every 3 secs it sends information of what you are doing on your computer, the sites you are going to etc. It goes to Googles servers and then on to Microsoft. Supposedly this is to "tailor" the Windows 10 experience for you. If you are a shopper you will see more shopping sites and ads etc. Unfortunately, the data mining does not differentiate as to whether you are doing something private online such as banking, or just playing around online, it still sends your info. This is why many people have a issue with Windows 10. Also, soon for those who already have Windows 10, Microsoft has plans to download more apps to your desktop, supposedly tailored to your interests.

Postby tdew » Fri May 27, 2016 3:43 pm

A friend got caught by the automatic WIN 10 upgrade the other day. It seemed to be working okay for a couple of days, then all of a sudden the start button was not responsive. I found a way to get it back, but wanted to run her anti-virus. She uses Norton. It is nowhere to be found on the computer! The explanation seems to be that the anti-virus programs were not ready for Windows 10, so Microsoft substituted their own. Don't know how they can legally remove something that you have paid for?

Postby Solitude » Fri May 27, 2016 5:01 pm

For those interested in the features that Windows 10 will remove or depreciate upon upgrading to Windows 10, this 2015 article will explain: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3881/here-are-the-features-windows-10-will-remove-when-you-upgrade

Also, I mentioned in the earlier post, those already using Windows 10 will see a increase in apps (automatically downloaded to your desktop) whether you want them or not. As for the legality of removing programs you paid for, well Microsoft seems to totally ignore it.

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi

Thanks to Solitude for the link.

Next W10 version is supposed to have heavier requirements and a not too old PC for UEFI and TPM (Trusted Platform Module) will be required.

Those who have updated a not very up to date PC may have problem for next upgrade...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... Q%29%28%29
Chris Marie

Next

Return to Odds & Ends