Photo download workflow question

Having problems? Have a solution? Let us know what your dilemma is with ProShow Gold. Please limit the topics to software problems, not "How To's"
Valued Member

Photo download workflow question

Postby BAD » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:58 pm

I keep my photos by date. So I list them first by year and then date. Since I use at least three cameras the metadate shown under the thumbnails while I select photos for my show is brief and not always helpful.

Is there anyway I can control what shows under the thumbnail. Currently, I have PSP7 set "Preset Size is 120x100 and Thumbnail info to Filename with Date and Time. So when I highlight a date to view the photos I took it lists the Canon files by date and time first, then the Sony files and finally anything taken in my Android smartphone. When I make a chronological travel show I really have to jump around and it takes a long time on a six week trip!!

Ideally all thumbnails would be listed chronologically by date and time.

Is there a better way???
Barbara
PSP 7/PSE14/Dell XPS 8900\Canon Rebel XSi Sony DSC-HX50V

Re: Photo download workflow question

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Well, I do it a little different - I name my photos with the date and time as well as which camera took the image. My cameras are _mikey1 through 5 currently, my wife is _Jan1 or 2 etc. The trick to doing all this without driving yourself nuts is to let software do it. The utility I use is called Downloader Pro from Breeze systems ( http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/ ) it has a bunch of neat features including string substitution during the renaming - you define what the string is in the EXIF field for the camera and what you want it converted to ( _mikey2_ etc) and it does that as part of the renaming (you define a template for the renaming). If you point it at a current GPS track, it will geotag any images that fall within the timeframe of the track as well. A typical filename from one of my cameras looks like DC_151014_1250_22__Mikey4.jpg which was shot 2015, October, 14, 12:50:22 with my Nikon D810. That means all images sort according to the date/timestamp but it is easy to sort for a particular camera if you want ("_Mikey4"). A word of warning if you do use geotagging - do NOT set the camera to the local time, leave it set on the timezone the computer is in that will be used to download/rename/geotag the images. The tracklog is in UTC and gets converted by the computer to local time when it is doing the geotagging. If the camera is not set to the same timezone (or was not set to the same timezone because you changed it), your locating stamps in the images will be off by the offset between timezones (ask me how I found out about that one .... grrrrr :evil: )

Anyway, that is the system I use and it has worked quite well (assuming you remember to set all the cameras to the correct time and not miss one when we change to daylight savings time etc. - been there before too!!)

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby BAD » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks Mikey. Downloader Pro sounds like what I need. I really want the date/time first on all images and then I could id the devices in some manner. The problem I have when downloading my photos into a PSP project is how the PC sorts the photos I download. I'm going to give Downloader a try.
Thanks, Barbara
Barbara

Valued Member

Postby BAD » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:47 am

Mikey I forgot to ask you if you if I can download camera images using Downloader Pro? They are the images I have the most trouble sorting.
Thanks, Barbara
Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:22 am

Yes - it will talk to most cameras I think, however I always put the memory card from the camera in a card reader in the computer and use it from there. My process is actually even a bit more involved that what I said - I shoot RAW (NEF) and use it to download the images from the cards and convert from NEF to DNG (a somewhat universal RAW format). Lots of configurations are possible and if you decide you want to use it, let me know and I can give you some information and which rock to look under (if I can remember) when setting up the template for renaming. Using this allows you to have a universal template that converts all camera files to the same format based on your template. The two features that initially drew me to Downloader Pro was the ability to geotag photos and the ability to do string substitution in the renaming based on the camera name in the EXIF ( "NIKON D810" ==> "_Mikey4" as an example). You can have a whole list of tokens for different cameras.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Valued Member

Postby BAD » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:14 pm

I meant to ask if the downloader can download SmartPhone photo. I have trouble with the metadata on mine and my husbands Droid Turbo Smartphones.

Thanks,
Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:16 am

Sorry - no idea on that since I have not used it that way. I think there is a trial period, so you could check that or contact them - I have talked to them before and they did get back to me OK.

mikey

Return to PSG - Troubleshooting