Computer specs

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Re: Computer specs

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:29 pm

Sounds like a good choice to me (unless something softer was around).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:39 am

gpsmikey wrote:Sounds like a good choice to me (unless something softer was around).

mikey

All the hippopotamuses ran away.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Has anyone yet tried Proshow either Gold or Producer with a trial version of Windows 10.

At the present time I am more than happy with Windows 7, but never know when I may be "forced" to make the change.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Hello

I have just installed the beta of Windows 10 and begin to try.

But some other users on our french forum have already made tests without encounting problems.
Chris Marie

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks Marie, that is good news.

I have usually been a quick upgrader to a new OS, with the exception to Win 8. I am just not seeing the advantages of the new OS, or Win 10 over Win 7.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:35 am

Hello

I need to know the new versions for professionnal reasons but for my own use I do not like 8 and 8.1 and use 7...

I will give feed back when I have finished to test W10...
Chris Marie

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:13 am

Yeah, I am still running win7/64 and am in no great rush to move up (although I am updating the Linux on my Ubuntu server :D ). With a couple of minor things in 7 (like the "virtual store" that can bite you if you are not aware of it), I have been happy with windows 7.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby bob2701 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:34 am

I have been using Windows 10 Pro Inside Preview on my laptop since it first appeared many months ago. For a Windows 8 user it is a great improvement. For a Windows 7 user, not so much. Still a large learning curve to go from 7 to 10. I have not put Producer on my laptop so I will wait to hear from Marie.

Postby bakerannieb » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:48 pm

My geek factor is extremely low and have no idea if the specs you all are recommending are translatable to laptops. I like the mobility the laptop gives me but mine freezes often and randomly shuts down when using PSP. I have an external hard drive for storage. I need to upgrade ASAP. Any suggestions?

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:00 am

I know there are people who use laptops for ProShow, but I also know they're more likely to have problems based almost entirely on the fact that a laptop doesn't have the physical space inside to house something ProShow, in its heart, really wants: a big graphics card. Mine, for instance, is so large that I had to buy a whole new computer case to give it the space it needed. Laptops generally have the video sharing space with everything else rather than being an independent item. Thus, if you're doing something that's very intense such as lots of graphics, lots of motion, perhaps a video to boot, all that activity is trying to grab space in which to do it. If other things are going on inside the computer at the same time, space may be at a premium, and ProShow is likely to get short-changed. It screeches to a halt and disappears.

Advice? If you can do it, and depending on how important ProShow is to you, you may want to consider a desktop computer with a powerful--separate--video card.

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bob2701 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:26 am

If you are dead set against having a desktop then look for a laptop which is built for the gaming community. They are built with a fast processor and as Babara mentioned very good graphics to handle the constant motion of todays games. If that is not in your budget then look to upgrade your laptop by adding RAM and maybe a SSD drive. Most laptops use 5400 rpm hard drives which slow things down. Good luck.

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:00 am

Bob had such a good idea with gaming laptops that I did a quick look-up, and the first review page I came across was http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp, but there are plenty more out there. I did notice that it seems you're not likely to spend under a thousand on such a system, and more than likely, it'll be more.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:37 am

Laptops are built to be slim and cute and as such tend to not have much graphics type horsepower "under the hood" (as well as slower disk drives to save power etc.). The desktop is a good approach since you can change cards as needed, but as pointed out, a higher end laptop spec'd for gaming would probably work well too. This is going to apply to any video editing software you use as well as things like Photoshop - the big problem with laptops is how tough it is to "add power" to them (also remember that adding "power" to a laptop (video, more RAM, faster disk drive etc.) all will increase power consumption and decrease battery run time.

[edit] You can also try a Google search for "video editing laptop" - that should turn up machines that can do what you want. The down side is you are going to pay (literally) for it in terms of cost and power consumption.

mikey

Postby bakerannieb » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:24 am

Thank you all! Very helpful.

Postby bob2701 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:08 pm

BarbaraC wrote:Bob had such a good idea with gaming laptops that I did a quick look-up, and the first review page I came across was http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp, but there are plenty more out there. I did notice that it seems you're not likely to spend under a thousand on such a system, and more than likely, it'll be more.

Barbara

This is true but it is all the things that Proshow needs that make it more expensive. Fast CPU, good graphics, fast hard drive, and plenty of memory. But this is also true for a desktop. Video rendering needs a fast CPU or it is a long process.

Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Odds & Ends