ProShow Enthusiasts site

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Re: ProShow Enthusiasts site

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Yeah, I use Firefox all the time (don't have Chrome installed here). Ah well, off to bed - leave Mona in charge since she is on the other side of the planet (ain't technology wonderful?) :twisted:

Hmm - and after the earlier comments, that posted instantly !!

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 21, 2015 4:16 am

cherub wrote:Funny, this thread is more popular (more posts) than the one with the new release :D

I noticed the same thing. :shock:

Mikey, ever since complaining about snail-like posting, everything I've posted has appeared instantly. We'll have to keep this thread alive and well. Obviously, it's helping.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu May 21, 2015 9:23 am

Hello, everyone!

I've been looking into the concerns when the thread first appeared, but I haven't had anything come up that I felt was worth responding with that can explain the slow loading times that some of you have commented on.

I use Firefox as my default browser and the site loads quickly for me. I played around with Chrome, IE, Safari, etc., and they all worked fine with IE being the slowest to load. We're talking maybe 3 or 4 seconds to load versus the almost instantaneous loading for the other browsers.

When posting a response to a thread or creating a new topic there has always been some delay in that process. The database for the forum is huge (246k+ posts, nearly 19k topics, etc.) so it takes time for that info to be altered to insert the new info. It's mostly an issue with PHPBB that causes this and how it handles the database. Sometimes the host server will time out, but that's due to PHPBB taking it's time to alter the database info. Can't control that.

The site is hosted on a VPS Rage server. It's not shared with other web sites so that is not the issue. I could put the site on an even faster hosting plan, but to be honest, the cost is not worth it. The donations the forum has received over the last 18 months barely covers 10% of my costs as it is now, so increasing that is not in my best interest.

Hope this answers some of your concerns. Thanks for the feedback and let me know if you encounter other issues, or if it gets worse.

Thanks!

Mike

Postby gpsmikey » Thu May 21, 2015 10:26 am

Thanks for the info Mike - I suspect it is the "updating the database" that is the issue. That would explain the quick load/view, but slow post times (and occasional visit to "hosticam" :twisted: )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 21, 2015 11:30 am

Mike, haven't seen you in a while! How's Daddy's Little Girl doing?

(I was close to it when I mentioned software, but I forgot just how enormous the database must be.)

Barbara

Postby obeeone » Thu May 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi Mike

It's definitely an IE problem here in Oz. If I use Chrome or Firefox it loads in a couple of seconds but IE is taking ages.

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby bonalymac » Fri May 22, 2015 12:57 pm

The donations the forum has received over the last 18 months barely covers 10% of my costs as it is now

I had not appreciated that donations were so low.

Seems to me two things worth considering.

Firstly a publicity campaign to bump this topic up the list and encourage some more contributions. (I've just done a small one, the first for some time).

Secondly, should we not encourage Mike to require posters in the Marketplace forum to be contributors. I know many are, but not all do so. I would have thought that those people trying to sell through this site should contribute a regular minimum contribution to its upkeep.

Any thoughts from others?
Colin

Postby BarbaraC » Fri May 22, 2015 1:15 pm

bonalymac wrote:Secondly, should we not encourage Mike to require posters in the Marketplace forum to be contributors. I know many are, but not all do so. I would have thought that those people trying to sell through this site should contribute a regular minimum contribution to its upkeep.

Any thoughts from others?

It would be like telling those who post in the Marketplace that they have to pay a fee to play, which I believe isn't quite where Mike's head is at. Also, vendors' sales come almost entirely from their newsletters, not from the forum.

Perhaps it would be better to simply remind people that Mike does this out of the goodness of his heart and might appreciate a bit of help. He's already responsible for all the maintenance.

Barbara

Postby bonalymac » Fri May 22, 2015 1:54 pm

It would be like telling those who post in the Marketplace that they have to pay a fee to play

Exactly. They don't need to pay if they don't post in the Marketplace. Simple really.

And sales may come from Newsletters, but many of the recipients will have heard of the Newsletters in this forum.

As I said, many vendors do contribute, (many also contribute time in answering questions), but Mike is still subsidising this apparently quite heavily ie 90% of the cost, and vendors make some money out of the forum either directly or indirectly. It seems only fair that Mike does not contribute so heavily.
Colin

Postby Diane48 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:07 pm

An update to my previous post. I installed Google Chrome and what a difference it makes!!
Now this site loads almost instantaneously whereas before I was waiting at least 20 seconds for each page to load.
Magic!! :D :D :D :D

Cheers Diane

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 23, 2015 3:38 am

bonalymac wrote:
It would be like telling those who post in the Marketplace that they have to pay a fee to play

Exactly. They don't need to pay if they don't post in the Marketplace. Simple really.

And sales may come from Newsletters, but many of the recipients will have heard of the Newsletters in this forum.

As I said, many vendors do contribute, (many also contribute time in answering questions), but Mike is still subsidising this apparently quite heavily ie 90% of the cost, and vendors make some money out of the forum either directly or indirectly. It seems only fair that Mike does not contribute so heavily.

By your accounting, then, everyone should pay for the service, in particular those who get the most out of it, which are the people whose questions are answered, probably more often by Mona than anyone else. Consider carefully who, besides Mike, does the work here. In the end, it's not our place to tell Mike how to run his forum.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sat May 23, 2015 5:19 am

I wouldn't mind seeing related ads off to the side that could possibly help generate income to pay for the forum.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby debngar » Sat May 23, 2015 5:32 am

There are other "vendors" that post here (but not in the same way the regular vendors do). They give away "freebies" that generate income by all the hits to their links or downloads that are very often not even their own content. (Not to mention they sometimes direct members away from the forum site to other forums.) I see no reason not to utilize ads for those that visit this site so it can continue to flourish. I only ask that they don't cover the screen and don't require closing to get to the content.
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 23, 2015 5:50 am

Debbie, I have a hazy memory of discussing ads with Mike, and I remember his reply that it wasn't something he wanted to do. However, it probably wouldn't deter those freebie "vendors." Are there a lot doing this?

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sat May 23, 2015 6:32 am

BarbaraC wrote:Debbie, I have a hazy memory of discussing ads with Mike, and I remember his reply that it wasn't something he wanted to do. However, it probably wouldn't deter those freebie "vendors." Are there a lot doing this?

Barbara

I remember Mike saying that too. But times have changed and I would be willing to put up with related ads to the side to avoid a potential burden on the forum owner if it becomes an issue. I don't know if it's an issue or not.

As far as faux vendors, I've noticed more and more of those types posting here in the last couple of years. One particular person proceeded to post about a half page worth of threads promoting "freebies" only to point visitors to another site or to downloads that pay for the clicks on them. Those I think were removed. So some are removed and some are apparently allowed.

The most questionable ones (to me) post copies of shows (other people's content) that include giveaways, and generate ad income from them. Whoever happens to get the most visitors to click on their download link generates the most income which, to me, should go to the original content owner.

A quick search of a member's handle/name will sometimes reveal that they post in dozens of forums in a short time, but don't really contribute useful content. They copy senseless parts of other people's posted words to their own posted reply, then include a link to a download and/or website. Or sometimes the links are in their signatures and lead to completely off topic things. O_o
Debbie

PreviousNext

Return to Odds & Ends