Using a memory stick

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Using a memory stick

Postby heronwell » Wed May 07, 2014 2:37 am

Hi, after a number of years making 'shows' for a funeral home & picking up tips from you experts I suddenly have the cause to put a show onto a memory stick. I am having a major senior moment & cannot for the life of figure out how to do this. Stupid, eh?

I would really appreciate a hint or to as to how to do this.

Thanks

Derek

Re: Using a memory stick

Postby trulytango » Wed May 07, 2014 2:56 am

I rarely output to DVD or executable these days. I find I get great results outputting to video file and storing on a portable device such as USB or memory card - both of which are accepted by the majority of current TV sets.

Once you have your video file created and saved somewhere convenient, insert your USB. Make a mental note of the drive letter for the device - usually, a dialogue box will appear when you plug in such things. The drive letter will be visible at the top of that dialogue box. Then, from within Windows Explorer, locate the video file and right-click it. Select 'Send to...' and choose the drive letter of your USB device.
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 07, 2014 6:38 am

The flash drive works well for many TV's (and even many BD DVD players have USB ports on them these days). I have been happy with the results doing it that way - I just create a mp4 720p file, put it on the flash drive and the TV typically plays it very nicely.
Go to Publish --> Video for Web, Devices and Computers --> click the "Create" button. Then select "Video File --> MPEG-4 --> H.264 720P"
It will ask you where to save the file - save it in a meaningful place (somehow, I can never find the default location again :evil: )

Yes, I'm all to familiar with "senior moments" :twisted:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby heronwell » Wed May 07, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks to both of you. It's always slightly embarrassing when the answer is so obvious. As I said, a senior moment. Now I have to find out why my desktop media player will not play it But my laptop will. Some days I hate computers!!

Thanks again

Derek

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Remember a computer has two parts - the software and the hardware. The hardware is that part of the pair that can be trashed, hit, stomped on or perforated as needed :twisted:

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby heronwell » Thu May 08, 2014 2:45 am

I am with you there, Mikey. Some days the urge is great. I am still at a loss as to why one computer plays my video & the other does not!!!

Derek

Postby tcedmon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:58 am

I’m creating a 30 minute for a high school sports video which will be shown at the sports banquet.
The banquet hall has a brand new HI Def video system and I plan on hooking up my lap top to there system and playing the show from the lap top. I’ll be using MS Media player. The show will be shown on a 12 foot x 12 foot screen.

Would be OK if I save the slide show at 1080p?

What is the best format to use? I was thinking I would save it in .avi
Most of the pictures and a little video where taking using a very good 35 MM digital camera so they are very good pictures and I’d like to get the best possible quality I can.
I will also be burning the show on to DVD’s or on USB’s memory sticks which we give to the graduating seniors.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:57 pm

That is somewhat of a sticky problem - there are a number of trap doors you can fall through. The first thing to check is to make sure your laptop can play cleanly at the resolution you are interested in (1080p was mentioned). Often times, while it can play it, it can't read the data from the disk fast enough to avoid "stuttering" resulting in a jerky image. As far as putting the show on DVD's or usb sticks, a standard DVD can only handle standard def mpeg2 video if you intend to play it in a standard player. You can put HD video files on a normal DVD but they are only there as a data type file, not something that the DVD player can typically handle. I have put a number of shows (720p) on usb sticks as mp4 files which my TV can play directly (it has a USB port on it) and that works quite well. For most of what I do, 720p looks a lot like 1080p but is much smaller file size which results in a lower data transfer rate which means more things are likely to be able to handle it without issues. Definitely experiment and see just what your equipment can handle cleanly.

mikey

Postby tcedmon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Gpsmikey, thanks for your response, my shows ran smooth at 1080p

I rendered my three slide shows to 1080p as avi files. They look a hundred times better on my flat screen TV (using USB) and on the 18 foot screen with a HiDef projector playing them from my lap top computer. And that was using a standard VGA connection, the tech guy at the center said they would look even better if my laptop had an HDMI connection. Maybe I’ll upgrade my laptop after windows ten arrives?

Now my question is anyone know of a good software program I can download to create a DVD with a menus and burn all thee avi files on to one DVD so I can play them on a standard & blue ray player? Hopefully a free software program
Last edited by tcedmon on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby tcedmon » Fri May 01, 2015 11:16 am

I found this freeware program on the interweb, anyone have experience using it?
DVDFlicks http://www.dvdflick.net looks like this is what I’m looking for.

Postby tcedmon » Tue May 05, 2015 5:46 pm

I tried DVD flick it reduces my avi files from 1080p down to 720p.
The 720p just does not have the clear sharp slides as 1080p on the new HD flat screens.

If I render my slide shows as Blue Ray will I be able to burn to a standard DVD?
Last edited by tcedmon on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 06, 2015 12:45 pm

While there have been some methods and work-arounds that sort of work, sometimes, the correct answer is no. The standard DVD has a specific specification as to what format and resolution it should be created in and only if you follow that specification will the majority of players be able to handle it (and most burners will not burn BD stuff to a standard disk either). See this link for details of the standard DVD: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
That said, there is a way around it ... sort of ... you can create a HD video format file and put it (if it fits) on a standard DVD as a data file which can then be "played" with a computer or some other device that is capable of reading the data files on a disk, but there is not a supported way of putting BD format on a standard DVD and having it play in most players.

mikey

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks