Wind filter software

Not sure if what you want to post fits in the other forums? Post it here!

Wind filter software

Postby SSMAKER » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:48 am

I am adding some video clips to my slideshow. The audio has a lot of wind noise blocking out the sound that I wanted to hear. Has anyone tried any software to eliminate wind noise? Any success with Audacity?

Re: Wind filter software

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:42 am

From my experience (and other discussions I have read on the video forums), basically, there is very little you can do with wind once you get it in the audio. You can use a low cutoff filter (or bandpass for speech), but you will not be very happy with the results. You need to block the wind noise before it gets in there - part of the problem with the wind noise is it often saturates the microphone(s) and tends to be surprisingly broad spectrum. Depending on what you are using to record the sound, look into a "dead cat wind filter" or "dead cat wind muff" for the microphone (see this for an example of a cheap one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHfMTpHMaL4 ). Like sand in your oysters, it is tough to get rid of once you let it in. :twisted: If you do a search on "wind noise removal", you can find lots of people asking how to do it, quite a few methods to try and deal with it and very few good results short of blocking it BEFORE it gets in. That is one of the reasons, many people recommend using headphones to monitor the sound on video recordings at the time. You may not realize that slight breeze you feel sounds like watermelons going around in your washing machine on the video.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby SSMAKER » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks. I'll experiment with some sort of makeshift filter on my camera.

As for the software idea, garbage in - garbage out.

Postby tdew » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 am

If you use a filter like the one in the video, doesn't it mute all sounds as well as the wind?

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Actually, the wind muffs (aka "dead cat") work surprisingly well - they affect the sound slightly, but the wind mostly drops off completely. Watch any shows where you see the sound guy in the picture like the DIY shows etc. You will often see the boom mic they are holding out over the people looks like a fuzzy caterpillar or something. You can't just use any fake fur, but the ones that are designed for it, allow sound thought quite well while the "fur" prevents the wind from hitting the microphone. Ideal situation is no wind, but I have had very little luck telling the wind to stop while taping :twisted: Do a search on them and you will find a number of YouTube video demonstrations of how they work.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby tdew » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:22 am

Thanks Mikey, I did look at different ones. It's surprising. We could have used it a number of times.

Return to Odds & Ends