Birds of Britain

Post a link to your shows created with ProShow Producer and get feedback from others. Please include a short description or title for each show link along with the approximate running time. If you don't want to chance getting criticism, please don't post your show.

Birds of Britain

Postby aleki2000 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:13 pm

A collection of photographs taken by members from my local bird club of some of the less common & seasonal visitors to NE England.

The reason for posting the show, apart from getting your general comments, is that I want to add 'fly in - fly out' captions with the name of each bird as it appears on screen but I do not know how to synchronise the caption with the relevant picture. I would welcome your advice. (I am still using PP4.5)

The show does not contain anything offensive but unless you are a bird lover, a 10 minute show might seem a bit too long for you. (at least the music should be enjoyable!)

Re: Birds of Britain

Postby debngar » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:29 pm

I like birds, so your show peaked my interest. There are some beautiful shots in the show. Here are some of my observations and general thoughts.

I love the first blue bird in the show (@.4 sec)! Some images don't fill the opening grid of birds properly and have gaps (@.11 seconds). Some images need adjusting so the bird heads are not cut off at the end of an image's zooming (@.25 sec.) Adjustments could be made on those images to fit, else choose/use some other display to better show off the images. Some images in the back during the opening grid dispaly look like they are in 4:3 display while the grid on top is more of a 16:9 aspect. That was distracting for me.

It seems more attention was spent on displaying twirling and split up transitions to get to the actual whole bird images than when they were displayed whole and at rest. Some birds seemed to disappear before being wholly displayed. Assuming the point of the show is to see the birds, the chosen transitions and effects compete too much with the images for show time. The effects should compliment the images, not compete with them for the attention of the viewer.

If the show is refined to somewhat more simplified displays and transitions, needed display time might be gained for caption reading without having to lengthen the show.

Captions at rest are easier to read for the viewer than ones that are moving.

I recommend choosing 3-5 simpler transitions and displays for your show. Spend more time on the birds at rest (during slide time) for reading inserted captions when you get them inserted.

Adjust the captions layers' key frame start and end when the bird comes into and out of view.

It seems to me, if only 1 bird is displayed per slide, the key framing job will be much easier than in those slides with multiple birds and multiple layers, etc.

There is a bracket missing in the URL above so the show link is broken. Also hope the end product of the show will be in 1080p (or at least 720p) instead of the lesser quality 360p size. :)

Hope that makes sense.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby aleki2000 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:29 pm

thank you debngar you have provided some very useful comments which I will take on board and do some more work on the show.
The reason for using multiple image slides was to include as many photos as possible. Using single photo slides would have almost doubled the length of the show.
The correct youtube URL is;

Postby debngar » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:51 am

I understand the need for multiple images in some slides in attempt to keep show viewing time reasonable.

Transitions and slide displays that have twirly or split up movement typically take longer time to complete for the viewer to finally see the birds in their recognizable form.

The use of AB transitions between slides can often help shave time off the show or at least allow shifting of seconds to the slides' display for viewing the birds in one piece.

Hope you get it worked out to your liking. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Many thanks Aleki2000 for the show : Birds of Britain. I like birds. I will do a show with birds in a near future. quetzal :)

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:14 pm

I agree with all of Debbie's comments. Most of those birds are not familiar to us on the other side of the pond, and it would be nice to have unobtrusive captions in the lower right or left for example identifying the birds (although your herons look almost as close to starvation as ours do over here !!). I would definitely go with less time "in transition" and more time viewing each bird. There were some very nice images there - some of those guys can be pretty shy around people (I have had very little luck asking birds to "stand still" for the shot :evil: )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - Sample Shows & Feedback