Loading "Elements" with Template

Post a link to your templates that you'd like to share with other ProShow Producer users

Loading "Elements" with Template

Postby Curtiscop » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi All,

Alright ... "there has got to be an easier way" .......

I've downloaded a template. Have added / installed it in Producer 6. Now when I want to use it. I click on the 'template', and it loads ... but it is missing all the elements (pictures, audio, etc.) that go along with it. Not referring to the 'new files' I will be adding, but the original files that go along with the template. I know how, and 'locate' the files and they add them.

Tell me please ......"Is there a way to when I click on the template (in the template list), it will automatically load all the files that are associated with it.

As always ... 'thanks so much guys'

Curt'
Dream what you want to dream; go where you
want to go; be what you want to be,
Because you have only one life and one chance
to do all the things you want to do.

Re: Loading "Elements" with Template

Postby J_L_R » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 pm

I believe this often happens with downloaded templates. The template looks for the files in the location they are stored on the originators computer.
I have got round this in the past by locating and loading the 'missing' files and then simply save the template under a different name. The template then loads with all files as it looks for them in their stored location on your computer. It works for me though no doubt the more proficient users here will have other and perhaps better ways of doing it.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Kevin.

Postby cherub » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 pm

J_L_R wrote:I believe this often happens with downloaded templates. The template looks for the files in the location they are stored on the originators computer.

NO. THIS IS NOT THE EXPLANATION.

I understand that Curt is referring to pst templates that need to be imported into Producer in order to be used.

The additional files (graphics, audio and video) that are included in a normal show cannot be saved in a template. This is a limitation of Producer itself.

Unlike slide styles, where there is an option to define "non replaceable layers" as layers that should be saved within the style, the template has no such option.
A pst file is not a container, and does not save anything in it. A pst file is exactly like a psh file (the show file). It only saves "information about your show" and nothing else. It is in effect just a text file, that contains reference points about where to find the various other elements, and what to do with them.

At the present time, there is no way to make a template that contains everything in it. When a show contains additional material, it's rather useless to attempt to make a pst template out of it. Producer will ALWAYS ask you about the missing files. A template given to you in the form of a psh file(regular show) with placeholders instead of your own images, will accomplish exactly the same thing.

Kevin, your saving of the template on your own computer doesn't exactly save it either. It only changes the referenced files.
But, if you were to work with an additional computer (say an additional laptop), then, Producer will ask about missing files again, every time that you try to use that template on the additional computer.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Postby Curtiscop » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Kevin and Mona,

Thank you for the input....... it is with deep regret that I must realize that ProShow Producer is not perfect. Ohh well ..... a man can dream can't he ??? :)

My issue is not a big issue, and I found it's easy to 'search' and find the files and go on.

"Thanks Again"

Curt

Postby trulytango » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:58 pm

It's a while since I dabbled with Templates, but if you load a template (pst file) you downloaded elsewhere and go through the initial location of any missing files, it effectively becomes a normal show file on your system. Surely, if you then immediately save that showfile and then create a new template from it i.e. one made on your system, then it will store the template perfectly for future use? All images should load automatically on subsequent use of this newly created version of the template on the same machine?

The above was written from my foggy memory and might be wrong... but I do recall that any music or sound effects in the show will not save with a template. Not sure about video.

Easy to test on any template downloaded elsewhere.
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby cherub » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:13 am

Hi Iris,
Your memory is rather good, I see. :D :D :D
That's exactly what Kevin and I wrote above.
It's good that you emphasized the words "on the same machine".
In fact, if you happen to move the folder with the images to somewhere else on you computer, or if by mistake you delete that folder, the template will report "missing files" and ask you to look for them.

Images (graphic files), video and audio are not saved in a template. The template works with them in exactly the same way - it references them.

A PST file is in fact a PSH file, and nothing is saved in it.
You can change the extension to txt, and read it in Notepad, if you wish, the same way you can do with a PSH file.
All my best to you,

Postby Curtiscop » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 am

*CLAP CLAP CLAP* ....

I tried the suggestion of opening the template, locating and importing the 'missing' files, then saving it as a show. It worked !!! But, as mentioned, ..... the audio did not come over. That is okay I prefer to use my own audio.

Thanks all ....... this has made my day.

Curt'

Postby debngar » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 am

cherub wrote:Hi Iris,
Your memory is rather good, I see. :D :D :D
That's exactly what Kevin and I wrote above.
It's good that you emphasized the words "on the same machine".
In fact, if you happen to move the folder with the images to somewhere else on you computer, or if by mistake you delete that folder, the template will report "missing files" and ask you to look for them.

Images (graphic files), video and audio are not saved in a template. The template works with them in exactly the same way - it references them.
...snipped...

Is it possible that newer versions of ProShow don't save the audio soundtracks in templates upon creation? I only say this because I have old templates I created a few years ago that happen to have soundtrack attached to them from the original shows. I don't use templates all that often but just opened one up to see if it's still had the soundtrack attached and it's still there. Of course if the content wasn't included upon the installing of that template to another computer, then yes, it would show up as missing. But nevertheless, it is saved with my template. :roll:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby cherub » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Debbie,
It all depends on how the template was created.
If the original show from which the template was made had a soundtrack, then that soundtrack will be included in the template.
This is exactly like in older versions of Producer.

Return to PSP - Slide Styles & Templates