Using a song

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
Esteemed Member

Using a song

Postby tjdowning » Mon May 12, 2014 5:22 am

Thought I would put this in General discussion as more would see it. I am not at all the "music police", and don't worry about what songs people use in their show for no-profit.
Just wondering if the song "Happy" that seems to be on so many YouTube posts, etc., can be used without any problems. Assuming most don't know or care of the "use" rules, so that is fine with me. If I have to use another song, also no big deal.

My question...
1. I would like to do one of those "Happy" videos for a friend for her wedding reception with the bride/groom and both parents to show as a surprise with little video snip-its to the whole song.
2. Haven't done this before, so any advice how to do this or if anyone has done something like this, advice before I run into problems will be greatly appreciated.

*Is it just a simple answer as to make the individual video clips and then drop into the show and then drop the one song in? Hope it's as simple as this, but I'm a photo girl and not so much a video girl.

Thanks for ANY help with this!
-Terri
Iowa User

Re: Using a song

Postby gpsmikey » Mon May 12, 2014 7:31 am

I'm not familiar with that song (at least by the name - I would probably recognize it if I heard it). If it is available from a royalty free site that would be best, but you need to research it and find where it comes from. I try and use royalty free stuff as much as I can, but for friends and family, if something in particular really fits, then I will use it. I'm not selling it, it is not up on YouTube, just something for friends and family so I don't have an issue using whatever fits. As far as assembling the show - it is not clear to me if you were talking about creating video segments in Proshow or if you were talking about using video segments from an actual video. Proshow can handle video to a degree, but if I was going to be using actual video and snipping / dragging chunks around etc. I would consider getting one of the entry level video editors (Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Premiere Elements etc.). They do a much better/easier job of working with video chunks. Working with slides in a video editor is a pain and working with video in a slide show program is a pain - it is nice to have the tools that make your life easier.

From a legal standpoint, these things have more trap doors than the old tar pits! For example, if you are hired as a commercial videographer to tape someone's wedding and reception and they have a DJ playing the music at the reception. While the DJ (hopefully) has the license to play the music, you are not covered by that license typically and as such, the music on the soundtrack of your video can't be used without getting a license that covers you. Sigh. (this discussion goes around in the video forums periodically). Just something to be aware of these days.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby tjdowning » Mon May 12, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks Mikey, thanks for your info!
Here's the link to this great (but over-played) song. I would be surprised if after watching this, you hadn't heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Sounds like a plan for the show that just has the video, may just use one of those programs.

I am doing a show right now for a friend that has her wedding pics, reception, etc. and she gave me a mpeg video of her wedding that the photographer gave her permission to use. I dropped in the show and will show at end of all the other pics. I wasn't sure if this was going to work, but just put his mpeg video into a blank show and burned to ISO and it created it fine, so fingers crossed after all my added pics, etc., it will all create ISO.

Thanks,
Terri

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 am

Hmm... I must be totally over the hill. I listened to part of the song and discovered I've never heard it in my life. Of course, I got glued to the 60's and 70's, and I've yet to get unstuck. :D

Yes, it's illegal to use it. That said, I agree with Mikey about shows seen only by a select few. As long as they aren't connected to the music industry, that is.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Esteemed Member

Postby tjdowning » Thu May 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks, that's funny, I hear that song used in so many things. Great song!

Postby ginger » Sat May 17, 2014 11:27 am

Fun song. It was nominated for (and performed at) Academy Awards (Feb. 2014) for Best Original Song in Animated Short Film for the movie Despicable Me 2.

The song that ended up winning was from the movie 'Frozen', which I absolutely loved and which received Best Animated Feature Film as well.

ginger

Postby PhotoMill » Sat May 24, 2014 7:36 pm

I'll ditto Barbara on this one with no exception !!!! To use this sound track willy nilly for profit, would be pure copyright infringement. Best to do as Mikey says, use some thing where you can purchase a valid license and then have a good sleep at night, ... worry free !!

...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Esteemed Member

Postby tjdowning » Sat May 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Just maybe using it for a clip for wedding reception, no profit no anything. One reason I only do slideshows for family and friends and getting nothing. (But just the enjoyment of doing it)

Postby BarbaraC » Sun May 25, 2014 2:20 am

tjdowning wrote:Just maybe using it for a clip for wedding reception, no profit no anything. One reason I only do slideshows for family and friends and getting nothing. (But just the enjoyment of doing it)

Even without profit, there's a strong case for copyright infringement when a song is used in a public venue. YouTube is fine example of this happening where someone uses a song they haven't been licensed to use and it's spotted. The music is stripped out of it. The likelihood of a problem occurring in a private wedding setting isn't very big at all, but there's still that molecule of chance.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Music Discussion