Great Software for Creatiing DVD Labels

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Valued Member

Great Software for Creatiing DVD Labels

Postby EYElene » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:31 am

I just purchased this great software to create labels for my DVD shows.
It is only $21.95 and it's so easy to use. Plus, once you buy it they give you THOUSANDS of art packs to use as backgrounds. I spent over an hour just downloading them into the program.
They have a trial version you can use for free up to 7 days but after using it for only two days I bought it since the price is so cheap.
Check it out: http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/screenshots.htm

Re: Great Software for Creatiing DVD Labels

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 am

I just checked it out because I was worried about one thing, which is that it must work with printers that print directly onto the disk. Why? Because paper labels aren't a good idea. They can end up damaging the disk, something I confirmed (unfortunately) all on my own back some time ago.

If your printer can print on the actual disk, you're doing fine.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 am

As Barbara says, be very careful if you are considering using adhesive labels on your disks. There are a number of "kits" out there that have the labels as well as the tool to center the label on the disks, HOWEVER, if you do some research on adhesive labels and DVD's, you will find that while in the past they worked fine for CD's, there have been MANY instances of people having problems with the disks after using the labels. Some theories are that it unbalances the disks (DVD's are more precision than CD's), some claim it warps the disk over time. Whatever the actual cause is, be aware that many people have run into the issue - the worst part is that often the disks will pass verification and playing initially, but 6 months later they can't be read. You should be OK if you have a printer that prints direct to the disk though - I really like the Taiyo Yuden "Watershield" disks - they are designed to be printed on with the inkjet printers that support that and look just like a photograph when you are done.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 am

gpsmikey wrote:...you will find that while in the past they worked fine for CD's, there have been MANY instances of people having problems with the disks after using the labels...the worst part is that often the disks will pass verification and playing initially, but 6 months later they can't be read.

That's exactly what happened to me. The disks worked just fine until I went back to them some months later. Consequently, I threw out all the labels I had left, opting for Sharpies. However, Sharpies are singularly unattractive and not meant for the public eye.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 am

If one's printer has no ability to print directly on the printable discs, I can see the need. But Barbara and Mikey have very good points. As it turns out, the life of disc media is much shorter than first thought and a paper label can make that life even shorter. I started out using paper labels before the technology was available to print directly onto the disc. Applying the label was a pain in the rear as it was too easily messed up upon application.

These days there are a number of printers that can print directly on disc. They also include, (or at least Epson does), software to get the job done. It's a simple but adequate program and does not provide fancy graphics. But I personally haven't found the need for more graphics to get the job done. Most slide shows have at least one picture that can be used for the label given the one selected has enough white space to one side or another to make room for the hole and a bit of text. The title is placed around the edge in white space, along with a copyright symbol and my name and phone if there's room. Another bit of text is there to one side of the hole to indicate "DVD +R", the viewing time of the show and jpgs included (if they are included on the disc.)

I select an image from the show for the label to be printed directly on the disc. If I can't find an image that will work/fit, I use Producer to make a special slide that works. The subject is placed to one side with white space to the other. Producer's screen capture feature makes the jpg. The file is saved with the label program but I also place a copy with rest of the show files so I can find it again if necessary the next time I need to burn a copy and print on the disc. By using an image from the show, anyone can usually immediately identify the DVD without even having to read the title.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby EYElene » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:17 am

My friend just bought the software. He said it does have the ability to print right onto the label itself.

Postby debngar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 am

EYElene wrote:My friend just bought the software. He said it does have the ability to print right onto the label itself.

If by printing on the label you mean directly on the disc, then this would be the better choice. But if you already have a printer that can do this, you may also already have the printer's version of label printing software too. If you have an Epson, their program is called Print CD - I'm fairly sure it comes with all their printers that print to CD/DVD. It has to be installed separate from the driver.

I can see the program you mentioned being useful for creating CDs though as it creates the track list automatically - eliminating the need for typing them.
Last edited by debngar on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 am

Debbie, I think Ilene already bought the software, so now she may have several labeling software options.

EYElene wrote:My friend just bought the software. He said it does have the ability to print right onto the label itself.

Yes, indeed, it does. That's what I checked into to make sure your investment would pan out for you.

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby EYElene » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:47 am

I have a Brother printer that works great for the last three years. The reason I bought it is because it works well with the ink cartridges I buy online that save me an enormous amount of money.
Not all printers accept this ink. But I was thinking that maybe I could get a second printer that will print onto the disc. Are these printers expensive and can I connect two printers to the same computer?

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:13 am

I went out to Amazon to have a look, and I'm not seeing any super deals on printers with CD capability. Granted, it was only a quick look, and someone here on the forum may know where you might go to look at what.

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby EYElene » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks Barbara!

Postby debngar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:39 am

What about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-C11CD31201- ... b_title_ce

It looks like the same printer is available via B&H Photo Video too. They are a reliable vendor.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... av-Search=

I don't own that model though. But I've had pretty good luck with Epson most of the time and owned 3 or 4 of them throughout the years.

Currently, I have two printers, a cheap Samsung laser printer and the other an Epson 1430, both connected via wireless. As long as you have a free USB port to do the initial connection, I think it can be done. I'm not an expert on getting it to work though. I had to have a tech friend get the initial network connections working for me. It's so nice that the printers can be across the room behind a covering to have it visually out of the way.

As a plus, a wireless printer can print from smartphones too. I figured out how to use the free app for my Android to make the connection and made prints on my inkjet printer sent from the phone. Pretty cool. :D
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:43 am

I found http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/pixma-ip4920 by typing "canon print cd" into Google. I stopped searching only because I realized there must be other printers under $100 that can do the job, too.

Debbie's answer should lead you in the right direction for using more than one printer. As long as you have USB ports that are easily reached (not like in the good old days when the ports were all on the back of the case), you should have no problem at all. For instance, I have 3 different USB gizmos that I never use simultaneously, and so when I go to use any one of the three, I just plug it in. When I'm done, I unplug it. Windows seems to know who's connected to it at any one moment.

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby EYElene » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks again for taking the time out of your busy lives to research for me.
I just bought a Canon camera so that would have been my first choice. But it says they are out of stock.
And I don't want to pay for shipping from B & H so I will skip that one. But the Epson on Amazon looks good.
Perhaps I will go to my local Best Buy first to see what deals they have.
I am going to ask my friend to send me a DVD he printed on. I'm anxious to see what it looks like.
One of the posters above said his looks just like paper. I am very curious.

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:52 am

Hi there, EYElene.

Just a note: I have the Epson Artisan 725, and my brother has its replacement - model 730, and we both simply love our printers. Mine was discontinued, and his may be also, but there may be one still laying around (bought ours from Office Max). Even though our printers came with the Epson PrintCD program, I also sprung for the Acoustica CD labeler which, as you know, prints directly on the face of disk media. In my opinion (echoing others, here) direct-to-disk printing is the ONLY way to go.

I know that you mentioned about your ink concerns, and I wanted to share something with you. After my first two (full) ink cartridge sets, I sought for a cheaper alternative, seeing as how I was printing so much, and the cartridge sets costing me upwards of $80. I learned about the CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) setup, and thought I would take a chance. I am SO glad that I did. My CISS cost me about $50, and armed me with about TEN TIMES the ink capacity of the manufacturer's cartridge sets. I got mine from (I believe) 360zone.com. Refills are cheap, too, and I am just (after months, and months) getting ready to order some refills. The only thing, with this setup, is that you should be printing on a regular basis. If not, deep cleaning of your nozzles WILL be warranted. I learned that the hard way. It is suggested that a photo (8x10, 8-1/2x11, etc.) should be printed once per week. That is if frequent printing isn't already being effectuated.

If you are so interested, respond to this post. I am not home, right now, but would be more than glad to make sure of the website. You would just have to give them the make/model of your printer, and they would set you up with a system.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications