Use of Proshow Web Plus music in Proshow Producer

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Use of Proshow Web Plus music in Proshow Producer

Postby NickMDN » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi,

Brand new here, and just starting to use Proshow for some of my non-profit pastimes.

I first purchased Proshow web Plus, not really understanding how things worked, and then I purchased Proshow Producer when I realized I wanted better control of the slide shows.

However, one of the obvious benefits to Proshow Web Plus appears to be the ability to add music from the Music Library. I then downloaded the web show into Producer.

So ...finally...the question:

Can I later add music from the Proshow Web Plus music library to my project in Proshow Producer? Once I got the web-created show into Producer, I wanted to change the music. I added some slides, changed some transitions, and in some cases altered the mood to where I wanted different music. Am I stuck with what I happened to download with the slideshow when I converted it to Proshow Producer? Is there any way to take advantage of the web music library and integrate it into slideshows in Producer?

I've really learned a lot by reading the various posts in this forum re: Music and copyrights, so I appreciate all of that. Thank you.

Nick

Re: Use of Proshow Web Plus music in Proshow Producer

Postby cherub » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:04 pm

NickMDN wrote:Hi,
Can I later add music from the Proshow Web Plus music library to my project in Proshow Producer? Once I got the web-created show into Producer, I wanted to change the music. I added some slides, changed some transitions, and in some cases altered the mood to where I wanted different music. Am I stuck with what I happened to download with the slideshow when I converted it to Proshow Producer? Is there any way to take advantage of the web music library and integrate it into slideshows in Producer?
I've really learned a lot by reading the various posts in this forum re: Music and copyrights, so I appreciate all of that. Thank you.
Nick

Hi and welcome to the forum,
I am going to answer here only the technical issues of your question. I'm not sure about the copyright issues, so, hopefully, others will jump in, and refer to the legal rights involved in using this music in other projects.

It's been quite some time since I've used ProShow Web, so things may have changed since then. But, from what I remember, the audio files that are included in ProShow Web are in the format of psa files. This is a proprietary format, and cannot be used in any other application except ProShow. The files cannot be heard, nor edited in your player or audio editor. You must make all your changes in ProShow.
These psa files are saved on your computer just like any other files, and you can make use of them in any other show or project that you have. When you make your show, and reach the point where you want to add music, you simply navigate to the directory where this psa file was saved, and double click on it. It is exactly the same action that you take when you want to select any other piece of music on your computer - an mp3 or wav or whatever other formats that you have.

Once the psa file is part of your new show, you can add to it other pieces of music from your computer, in any other audio format. You can start and end the track wherever you want, you can shorten it, overlap it with other tracks, offset it, or whatever you wish. As long as your work is done in ProShow, all the changes are possible.

And, of course, I forgot to mention -
You can also remove the psa file from your show, and replace it with any other music that you wish. Your show will stay the same.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Postby Jeep » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:28 am

I think that if you rename the audio file xxx.psa in xxx.ogg it will be used as a OGG file and reusable in another show, but this doesn't mean you have rights to reuse them as is. You should ask to Photodex about this
Jean-Pierre

My blog
Processor: Intel Quad core 2.33 Ghz - RAM: 4 Gb - Windows 8.1 64 bits - Video: Nvidia 720GT 2 Gb- Camera : Canon 5D Mark II + 24-105 + 100-400 - Sharing : jean_pierre

Postby cherub » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:13 am

:D :D
Good one, Jeep !
So, psa is actually ogg. :D :D :D

Postby debngar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:44 am

I asked Photodex about the use of the web music in other ProShow productions a while back.

Terms of use have been clarified since I first asked about this:

The music is for use in a show created by the "service" (web product). A user can tweak the show after downloading it but I think the show is supposed to still be mostly the web designed version as it was downloaded. I don't see how to measure that because that's a subjective judgement. But the music is meant to be used with that product.

4 - B viii: You may not use Content provided by Photodex as part of the System in works not created directly by the System. Such Content, including audio files, is provided only for the purpose of using the system and may not be used in other works or outside of the permitted use of the system.

I'm not an attorney and am not offering those thoughts as legal advice, just what was the conversation I had with Photodex when the web product was first introduced to the public.

If one no longer has a subscription to the service and is still using songs from the web service in new productions after that point in time, it seems to me that would not be ethical. Reason being is that payment for use of the music has stopped and that helps pay for royalties back to the artists.

Here is the link to the Web service TOU.

http://www.photodex.com/about/user-subs ... -agreement

TOU states that commercial use of the service is only permitted for Premium service subscribers. (A non-profit is considered a commercial use by the way.) So it looks like a Web Plus subscription is not adequate for using the service for that purpose. The other two types of service are for personal and social use only.

Hope that makes sense.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby NickMDN » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Thank you all for your kind welcome and for your responses.

Frankly, this strikes me as a can of worms best left unopened. :D

However, I'll take the risk of summarizing your responses:

1. I *can* use music that I put into my web product if I subsequently download that product into Producer for further editing. (If that were not the case, I don't know why they would bother advertising that feature for the Plus and Premium web products. And I don't know how to define "tweak", which is impossibly subjective. Producer has many powerful editing tools, any one of which could change the timing and cause a need for editing the music.)

2. It would be a mistake (if not a downright violation of the TOU) to use the web music stored in Producer for subsequent, unrelated productions. Similarly, if one is no longer paying the annual fee for the Plus or Premium web products, the web music cannot be used at all.

3. Technically, it *is* possible to edit and use the web music in Producer shows.

I hope I got that all correct.

For now, I am going to avoid any discussion of whether or not what we do as a non-profit is "commercial" or "social." I need to do some reading about that, but thank you for something else to think about!

By the way, I am not a professional 'anything' in terms of video, audio, or slideshow production. However, I've had numerous slideshows professionally done (mostly for family things - weddings, remembrances, etc.), and they've always been done with commercial music that I've given to the pro. Having read many of the discussions on the boards here about copyrights, YouTube, Facebook, and all of the challenges with music in a digital age, I don't know how any professional can make money on this any more. It looks like you cannot use commercial music, so you have to find your own - and that costs more money and time.

I have no plans to do this for money, but I can empathize with those who do.

Thanks again,
Nick

Return to Music Discussion