64-Bit Versions

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.
Valued Member

64-Bit Versions

Postby Luke_Miller » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 am

My most recent production consisted almost entirely of stills and video clips that were imported from 64-bit-only programs. As both still cameras and video cameras offer ever increasing resolution and file sizes Producer becomes increasingly resource limited when creating productions that incorporate them. I suspect that problems and crashes users experience are often not due to operator error or bugs in Producer, but due instead to the exhaustion of the computer resources Producer has access to in its 32-bit configuration. Also, Presenter does not run in a 64-bit browser. Currently only Internet Explorer 9 and 10 offer 64-bit browsing and relatively few use the 64-bit version. But when those who do navigate to the Presenter video on my website - it will not run.

Re: 64-Bit Versions

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:29 am

I'm hoping the next version of ProShow will grant everyone's wish, and I wouldn't be surprised if it does, given that so many of the companies are working hard to upgrade their software to 64-bit. Being a non-programmer, I imagine it as such a simple transformation, but imagination doesn't equate to reality.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby cherub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 am

Luke_Miller wrote:My most recent production consisted almost entirely of stills and video clips that were imported from 64-bit-only programs. As both still cameras and video cameras offer ever increasing resolution and file sizes Producer becomes increasingly resource limited when creating productions that incorporate them. I suspect that problems and crashes users experience are often not due to operator error or bugs in Producer, but due instead to the exhaustion of the computer resources Producer has access to in its 32-bit configuration. Also, Presenter does not run in a 64-bit browser. Currently only Internet Explorer 9 and 10 offer 64-bit browsing and relatively few use the 64-bit version. But when those who do navigate to the Presenter video on my website - it will not run.

Luke,
It is of course a very welcome feature request, but, I'm a bit skeptic about this.
As discussed in your other thread about Presenter and Internet Explorer 10, on my computer things work quite well, and I can watch shows without any kind of problem.

In addition, I have installed several programs on my computer that presumably should work on 64 bit. Well, what can I say.... Not all work so well. I've had quite a few installation problems with them, and some question marks about how well they functioned.

Some programs install as both 32 bit and 64 bit, and whenever I look in the Task Manager, I see that it's actually the 32 bit version that is active, and not the 64 bit one.
I'm not really savvy on computers, so this whole business with the 64 bit is a perpetual puzzle for me.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 am

My music software is 64-bit, and both its capacity and speed are phenomenal. However, how much of this is due to its being 64-bit and how much is due to the perfectionism of the software's programmers? I've no idea. Probably a combination of the two.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:11 pm

To take advantage of the myriad of new technologies and such, a 64-bit program is going to be a must. Many programs are now being offered in 64-bit versions these days ... and more are coming. A program as complex as ProShow is going to need to move in that direction. I bet Photodex is working on a 64-bit version ... as a feature, it's been in the request queue for quite some time now.

When ProShow first came out, multiprocessor systems were few, available memory was typically less than 2 GB, and 64-bit operating systems and programs were not very common. These days, multiprocessor systems are prevalent and the 64-bit OS is available. Further, more and more people are going 64-bit and there are many more programs available in the 64-bit flavor. Some systems have a lot of memory installed in them: 16GB is common these days. A 32-bit system can't address more than 4GB of memory (including system and installed RAM). The 64-bit version can address considerably more memory and do it more efficiently. Win7 Pro can address up to 192GB of installed RAM. Don't be too surprised if Photodex comes out with a 64-bit version in one of their upcoming releases (well, this year or next year "maybe").

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Valued Member

Postby Luke_Miller » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:42 am

cherub wrote:Luke,
It is of course a very welcome feature request, but, I'm a bit skeptic about this.
As discussed in your other thread about Presenter and Internet Explorer 10, on my computer things work quite well, and I can watch shows without any kind of problem.

I suspect you are actually running IE 10 in 32-bit mode. Here is what Photodex says about Presenter and 64-bit browsers.

http://kb.photodex.com/67/is-presenter- ... ompatible/

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:29 pm

So, here we are more than a full year since the last post in this topic and Producer 6 has been released since then. I take it that there is still no 64bit version yet, and from the looks of it it doesn't seem like Photodex is in any hurry to create a 64bit version anytime soon...or a Mac version either.
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Not that any of us are aware of (as far as I know).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby bobradarbob » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Just another comment from another angle:

The task to move to 64bit is monumental and is hampered by such things as the very compilers and tool chain elements that can themselves be tied to 32bit world. Such situations sometimes cause wholesale replacement of languages and tool chains, etc. NOW, you have to continue to support your current 32bit products (legacy) with your current staff with the knowledge therein AND hire another team and begin the task of a complete rewrite of the code over to 64bit. Along with that thought, I am sure the discussion comes up in staff meetings that go like: "Since we are moving to 64bit for Windows, how easy would it be now to also compile a version for Apple O/S? " and at what cost. This company is not Google or Microsoft and they may make some profit but this task is a serious commitment financially. I know to compete, they gotta' do it and perhaps they are but they don't have a lot of companies that make a product that does everything that Producer and Gold do at their current price point. They are perhaps walking instead of running. Rush a miracle man and you get crappy miracles.......

I've been a programmer and I've been a manager of programmers and I know that projects of the size and scope will take time with all things considered. If they don't get'er done in the next 2 years, the program may need to be running in some emulation mode for 64 bit will become default. Photodex knows, believe me they know that they may even have to make huge changes to - Price, Support, and all that us customers have become accustomed to.

We wait,
nicely

bob

Postby bobradarbob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:48 pm

This is an interesting post from Adobe that I saw and thought I would share. It seems to go along with this thread......
Bob
=========================================

From Adobe:
We are hard at work on the next major release of Lightroom, and wanted to share some information on operating system requirements in order to give everyone time to prepare for the release.

In order to leverage the latest operating system features and technologies, Lightroom 6 will require Mac OS X 10.8 or above, or a 64 bit version of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. Focusing our work on more modern operating systems and architectures allows us to spend more time adding functionality requested by users, including additional advanced imaging features and improving general application performance.

If you are on Mac OS X 10.7, or a 32 bit version of Windows, you will continue to be able to install and run Lightroom 5 and use Lightroom mobile. However, you will not be able to install Lightroom 6 until you upgrade to a supported operating system.

If you are currently running Mac OS X 10.7, Apple offers a free upgrade (here) to a more current operating system. For Windows users, Microsoft has a how-to reference (here) to help you determine whether you are running a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows.

Source: [Lightroom Journal]

Postby bobradarbob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:28 pm

https://www.techspot.com/news/72438-nvidia-dropping-support-32-bit-operating-systems.html

Not much to say other than, "Rome is burning". The ground is shifting beneath our feet.

Bob

Postby cdcd » Sun May 27, 2018 1:26 am

On january 24th 2018, I sent an e-mail to Photodex asking when they would launch a 64-bit version as I think/believe this would be a lot more stable. This is the answer I got:

Hello Carlos!

Thanks for contacting Photodex!

We understand your frustration. We are currently working on the 64bit version + Mac version of ProShow as we speak. Unfortunately, however we are not yet at a point where we can provide accurate information on when it will hit the market.

Please stay tuned for updates and make sure you keep your email address up to date on file so you receive all future customer mailings moving forward.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Brandon
Photodex Customer Support
www.photodex.com
1-800-37-PHOTO

As a matter of fact I'm still working with PSP 5 and I'm waiting for an upgrade to PSP 9 for this 64-bit version reason, unless anyone can convince me that the actual PSP 9 in its 32-bit version is already a lot more stable...

Kind regards from Belgium!

Return to PSP - Feature Requests