Where did I see this Unique Technique?

Please post your tutorials here for ProShow Gold only. Provide a link if you have a file that can be downloaded by others. This is not a discussion section, but rather a source for sharing tutorials.
VPUA

Where did I see this Unique Technique?

Postby VPUA » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 am

I saw a tutorial somewhere for isolating headshots of individuals in a group photo. The particular example
used was a photo of bridesmaids in which the face of each young woman was extracted and brought forward, basically highlighting that person, then moved back, perfectly in place on the shoulders. I can't remember if I saw the technique on this forum or somewhere else. Does anyone have ideas on where I may have seen it?

Re: Where did I see this Unique Technique?

Postby mark healey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:32 am

Hi. i hope this helps a little. i have uploaded a couple of small video tutorial to Utube on how i would achieve the result i "think" your after.
Would have postered it here but unaware of how to do that yet... but i will learn :-)
It's in two parts one using photoshop to create the images and the second using Proshow gold to enhance the slide show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfi3yxeho_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jujhNsellw

i do hope it answers your question. if it doesn't please let me know and we'll see if we can't figure a way round it

Yours
Markhealey58

Postby bjquilts63 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:22 am

Very interesting Mark. I like that technique. I wonder if it would work to lower the opacity of the whole picture while the head shot is enlarged? Wonder how that would look? I may have to try this. Thanks for doing the tutorial.
Barbara

Postby mark healey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:40 am

sounds like a fine idea. Also to have the background fade into black and white whilst concentrating on the foreground works well. :D have fun with it let me know how it goes

yours

Mark Healey

Postby Lenora » Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 am

I looked at the video for selecting an individual in a group. I have paint shop pro. I selected the person and in the video he said to delete. I did that but it deleted the whole photo and not just the background. How do I get the selected image to stay and delete the rest of the photo. As you can see I am not an expert on the program.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 am

In photoshop you would invert the selection (Ctrl I). Paint shop will definetly have something similar.
regards.
pd

Postby cherub » Mon May 20, 2013 8:25 am

pd wrote:In photoshop you would invert the selection (Ctrl I). Paint shop will definetly have something similar.

Yes, precisely.

But, first and foremost, your picture should not be marked as a background layer in the document.
Here is how I do it in PaintShop Pro:

Duplicate layer. Your picture now appears twice. Delete the layer marked as background.
Insert a new raster layer (transparent) and drag it beneath your picture layer.
Now you can select the head of the person.
Then: Selection > Invert > Delete
Save this new picture as a png file.

That's it. :D

Postby Lenora » Mon May 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks - still having problems and I am sorry I am so dense. I have the picture which says it is the background l then went to Layers tab and selected Duplicate and then it says copy of background but there is only 1 image and not a 2nd copy of the image. I think I am selecting the wrong Duplicate feature and I don't know which one contains the duplicate you said I should use. Sorry.

Postby cherub » Mon May 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Lenora,
Is your Workspace set to display the layers?
If so, it really doesn't matter how you do it, as long as the image appears as "copy of background" in your layers.
You can duplicate layers either from the upper menu (Layers > Duplicate) or by RIGHT clicking on the layer itself, exactly as in ProShow. The result should be the same.

Starting with version X4, that I'm now using, when you right click on the background layer, there is also the option of "Promote background layer". I don't know which version of the program you are using, so that's why I haven't mentioned this before.

In any case, if the picture is not set as "background" layer, you should be OK with deleting the selection.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 am

bjquilts63 wrote: . . . I wonder if it would work to lower the opacity of the whole picture while the head shot is enlarged? Wonder how that would look? . . . .

It depends on the original photo. If it is high resolution you will have no deterioration. That is why you should not resize photos before inserting them in Producer.
If the original is of poor quality and Producer pixellated results, your best option is to reduce the original image size and of the the cutout layer to 80%.
For the effect to take place then zoom in to say 105%. This keeps picture acceptable to the viewer.

Hope that helps.
pd
regards.
pd

Postby Zane9 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Nice post!

Return to PSG - Tutorials