Vignette

Post your requested features for future versions of ProShow Producer here.
Esteemed Member

Vignette

Postby Dieter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:23 am

Hello,

I can't move the vignette in the frame.
It would be good if the vignettes would be moved individually in the frame.

Best regards Dieter

Re: Vignette

Postby im42n8 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 am

I think I know what you are asking for ... and yes, being able to move the vignette would be good. I haven't really worked with them PSP vignettes as a vignette in awhile. So, I can't answer to the positioning . . . I know that some of these things can be moved around to some degree using the Position of the control keyframe.

However, what really matters is what you are trying to do and what kind of vignette you are trying to create. If you are trying to "soften" the edges of an elliptically shaped image, you can create a solid color or single color gradient (Use WHITE for maximum effect) layer that you make elliptical (either by controlling the aspect of the created layer and/or by changing the zoom of the axes relative to each other) and by choosing an elliptical vignette. Then, change the amount of vignette to take the edge off the outline (probably 5 to 20). Then, use this as a mask over the layer you want to effect change upon. To further the effect of the edge softening, you can also apply a blur to the mask layer. (you could add control keyframes to a black layer where you will add white color such that the center of the layer is white. Then add control keyframes as desired to control the amount of change from black to white... When used as a grayscale mask, the black area will become transparent, the region that changes from black to white will become the "softening" region from transparent to opaque, and the solid white will be the area where the masked layer will show through. ... That is, you have some additional degree of control over just how much resulting feathering you have on the masked layer).

Finally, you can move either the mask or the masked layer (one layer relative to the other). Add a copy of the mask layer and change it to black and move it to below the mask set (and change its opacity) to give a kind of depth or different look.

Now, this only deals with a single type of vignetting on the layer you want to change the appearance of. But, maybe the idea behind it may allow you to do what you'd like to do.

Of course, there isn't nearly the amount of control I would like to have using these techniques but, for relatively simple vignetting, it works fairly well. It has a number of pluses as well as a number of drawbacks. Again, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Dale

PS I should add that I'd REALLY like more control over the vignettes too. That'd be really nice to have.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby Dieter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:40 am

Hallo Dale,

yes, that is it !!! Many thank you. :lol:
As I read your suggestion I remembered me on my small Show with a pictures from girl's in PSP training video and moving Vignette along the heads of the girl's which I made long time ago.
One more question: What is the different in Solid Color Options between the colors, I have the choice in the Color Set.
What impact has the color? :roll:

Best regards and a nice weekend Dieter

Postby im42n8 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:19 am

A "mask" is treated as having an opacity related to its color. The "darker" the color, the less opaque it is. The extreme ranges of a mask are WHITE (completely opaque, hexadecimal FFFFFF) to BLACK (completely transparent, hex 000000), when using a gray scale, non-inverted mask. Note that the hexadecimal number is a number system that counts from 0 to F (decimal 0 to 15). It's a quick way to represent a number based on 0's and 1. So 0 is off and 1 is on. Counting 0 to 8: 0000, 0001, 0010, 0011, 0100, 0101, 0110, 0111, etc until you get to 1111. So, effectively, you have completely black at 000, completely white at 1111, and some shade of gray for all numbers in between.

So, any color can act as a mask and the mask's color acts as some shade of translucency, depending that color. The maximum effect for the mask is seen at the color contrast extremes (or, white to black). This masks summary should help:

http://www.fenimorephotovideos.com/Pros ... sions2.pdf

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Esteemed Member

Postby Dieter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:09 am

Hello Dale,

thank you for your help. It's for me a hard-working to understand the masks, but I learn it :shock:
The forum patiently answered the questions - thank you all.

Best regards Dieter

Postby im42n8 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 am

Masks, for those who have not used them, are not an easy concept to understand. Some people definitely take longer than others ... and then there are those who take to them like a duck takes to water!

http://fpvp.wordpress.com/tutorials

This link above contains some tutorials for working with masks. The comprehensive intro gives you most of what you need to start getting a handle on masks. Just keep working with them and suddenly, they'll click for you (and you'll GET it)

Most of all, just have fun!

Dale

Return to PSP - Feature Requests