Error message on Nikon D3100

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Error message on Nikon D3100

Postby Rosemary » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:59 pm

HI
My Nikon D3100 camera is showing the error message" error press shutter release button again" The problem persists even though I press the shutter button several times. Unfortunately I am down in Phoenix just now so don't know any Nikon dealers here. Has this happened to anyone else and if so do you have any suggestions to try to fix the problem.

Thanks,

Rosemary

Re: Error message on Nikon D3100

Postby obeeone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:53 am

G'day Rosemary

I don't own a Nikon but perhaps removing the battery and then putting it back might clear the problem.

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby mdijkers » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 am

you could try this:
NIKON solution was to take out the memory card and press the shutter release button in the demo mode. To get to the demo mode you first need to go to custom menu/controls/no memory card?/press ok/ arrow down to enable release and press ok. Now you are ready to try solving this problem. Press the shutter release button to see if it will reset the shutter release button.

but why posted on a photodex blog ?? :|
just google, and you will find some tricks that could work.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 am

HI Carl and mdijkers,
Thank you both for your suggestions. We have already went the Google route and manual but have failed :o I have even posted on the Nikon site and have had no reply. I posted here because I felt that with all the photographer members perhaps someone might have a solution that has worked for them.

Rosemary

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 am

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 am

I have not heard of that problem (but I have been fortunate with my Nikons). Shutters do fail in the DSLR's, but the 3100 is pretty new, so you should not be near the "wear out point". Phoenix is a pretty big town - you might check with a couple of the camera repair places and see if they have seen that issue before (I ran into an issue with my old Minolta years ago and the local repair guy I talked to said "oh, yeah, I know what that is, bring it in and for $10 I will tighten the contact that causes the problem". He was right on and never had another issue.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Marjolijn and Mikey,

We are back home again so I am going to take the camera to where I bought it and see if they have any suggestions. Failing that, London Drugs has the body only on sale if all else fails. I would hate to have to replace a 2 year old camera :(

Thanks for trying to help,

Rosemary

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Rosemary » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Just a follow up. Nikon fixed my camera as it was within the 2 year warrenty. Now a word of warning to new Nikon owners - Nikon has reduced their warrenty period to 1 year the same as Cannon.

Rosemary

Return to Photography