Would like clean edit of "Good Life" song

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Would like clean edit of "Good Life" song

Postby bettei » Mon May 14, 2012 3:45 pm

I am not sure which forum I should ask this question in, sorry if it is in the wrong place. Anyway, I really like the song"Good Life" by One Republic and it works really well for slide shows. Disney is even using it on their commercials. But there is one swear word in it that ruins it for using in my shows. I have tried Googling a place to buy an edited version of it, but am leery of downloading from an unfamiliar website.

I know there is an edited version out there, because radio stations play it. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!

Esteemed Member

Re: Would like clean edit of "Good Life" song

Postby momsquad » Mon May 14, 2012 9:58 pm

I saw a "clean" version on itunes. Haven't actually downloaded it myself. But it is a possibility. ??

momsquad

Postby bettei » Tue May 15, 2012 5:27 am

Itunes is where I bought the song, and it was not edited. A Google search lead me to Amazon, but if you read the reviews, that song was not edited either.

Esteemed Member

Postby momsquad » Tue May 15, 2012 5:55 am

Oops! That's not cool. Sorry. Don't have another idea.

Funny how itunes says songs are "clean". I got a supposed "clean" version of Pink's "Raise Your Glass" it wasn't so clean to me either. Had to use it though, as that was the song they wanted. It was better than the original, but certainly not a "G" rating.

Oh well.

k

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:35 pm

I just listened to "Good Life" on Spotify and indeed there is one "inappropriate" word that is used twice in the song, however it is sung so fast that if you are not listening carefully you will hardly notice. You could use an audio editing program such as the free Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to "cut out" this word from the song.

You can use Audacity to:
Record live audio.
Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.
Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
Change the speed or pitch of a recording.
And more!

If the "cut out" is done carefully you will then have a "clean" song to use in your slide show :wink:

Dan

Postby gpsmikey » Tue May 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Another trick that may or may not apply here that I have used in the past (it requires an audio editor) - if there is another place in the song where the music matches where the problem is, but the word is different, you can copy the "nice" chunk and "paste" it in/over the bad one (think Photoshop cloning etc ).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby bettei » Wed May 16, 2012 4:38 am

pilotdan63 wrote:I just listened to "Good Life" on Spotify and indeed there is one "inappropriate" word that is used twice in the song, however it is sung so fast that if you are not listening carefully you will hardly notice. You could use an audio editing program such as the free Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to "cut out" this word from the song.

You can use Audacity to:
Record live audio.
Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.
Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
Change the speed or pitch of a recording.
And more!

If the "cut out" is done carefully you will then have a "clean" song to use in your slide show :wink:

Dan

A member was kind enough to email me a clean cut of the song. Like you said, it is only one word repeated twice that makes it not so nice for a slideshow. If I ever used Audacity in the future, is there any chance of getting unwanted things downloaded to your computer? The reason I asked, is because a Photodex rep told me to try "anyvideoconverter" to convert a digital clip that Proshow would not read. So I did that, being careful not to choose their toolbar, etc., and it was OK until the second time I used it. When you use it again, it tells you to update it, and in that update, it automatically gave me an AVG search engine replacing my Google and a virus protection program in my startup programs without asking. And it was not easy to get rid of. So I am telling this to make other people aware of their little "sneak" in that update.
Thanks

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm

I have not heard any complaints like that about Audacity. Generally a good program that has worked well for a lot of people for basic audio editing. (while I have audacity on my machine, I usually use either Adobe Audition or Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio (part of Sony Vegas Movie Studio video editing)).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby chezeury » Wed May 16, 2012 4:54 pm

I've used Audacity for years and just lately downloaded the last version since I recently had to change my motherboard. There is no virus or adware attached to it, but to export as an mp3, you'll need to download the LAME mp3 encoder and tell Audacity where it is. You'll only have to do this the first time you want to export mp3's, after that, Audacity won't ask. Although you can do some very complex audio work in this program, it is also very easy to use for simple easy editing. I use it only for simple editing and it is very user friendly. I highly recommend it, if you want to edit audio files yourself.
To see my slideshows visit:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chezeury
my photography can be seen at:
http://www.maggieterlecki.com

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:44 pm

I "second" the remarks just made about Audacity :wink:

Dan

Postby steve.s » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 pm

If you still need the 'clean' version of this song for some comparison or just, please PM or email me.
Beside Audacity, Goldwave is an excellent editing application, but $50 for lifetime.
Steve

Return to Music Discussion