How do I capture an image (jpg)

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

How do I capture an image (jpg)

Postby lin52 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:41 am

I am just trying the trial version od PSG and need to capture a single image from a video that I have imported into PSG. How do I stop the video at the right point and do the capture? I want to use it as the background for some captions. Also how would I split the video into separate parts so I can insert the image. Lastly, what format do I need to use for the capture- jpg or png?

Esteemed Member

Re: How do I capture an image (jpg)

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:23 am

What you're asking is probably better done in a video editor, and then move the files into PSG.
I just picked up Cyberlink PowerDirector 10 Ultra (Newegg had a coupon) and like it. I'll be traveling this summer taking video as well as photos, so I figured I'd get it.
Then I can move my video clips and photos into PSG.
Last edited by Merlin_AZ on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:56 pm

If you are going to be doing much with video, one of the video editors (Sony Vegas Movie STudio, Adobe Premiere Elements etc) is probably a good investment in the long run. As far as capturing a jpg from a video, there are a number of factors that determine what/how you can do that. It depends on what resolution you want, if the video is interlaced or progressive, HD or SD etc - no one answer fits all - most of the video editors will allow you to do what you want in some form or another though. As far as "splitting" a video, Proshow can't really do that although there are ways to fake it - two copies of the same clip that you have trimmed the back off the first one and the front off of the second copy is one way (although a bit of a pain).

You can capture a frame (at least in Producer - I don't have Gold on my machine so I can't verify it) by "playing" the slide that has the video and hit the spacebar to pause playback at the point you want to capture. Right click the preview window and select "capture frame" - there are options to select the format/size of the capture (at least in Producer).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Mikey -- option not in Gold. However, the spacebar will pause the video and any screen capture could catch it.

Merlin's right, however, if you're going to do this sort of thing you really need a video editor and ProShow isn't one of those.

The capture is just like any image and can be in any supported format, both JPG and PNG work.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby AMD » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I am glad this topic is active. I need to capture an image and find the dropdown box with no problem. I can browse for my destination folder, etc., but can find no "OK" to execute the command. I had no problems in the older versions but it is as if Version 5 is missing the button . . . Can you advise?

Thanks,
Ann

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Ann -- you may get a better response in the PSP section. Gold doesn't have the option.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby AMD » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Oops! Sorry, Dick. I have been frustrated and got excited when I saw the topic posted. I'll do that.

Thanks,
Ann

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks