Camera Lets You Take Photos First and Then Focus Later.

Discuss photography techniques, equipment, etc. here.
Valued Member

Camera Lets You Take Photos First and Then Focus Later.

Postby Pat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Camera Lets You Take Photos First and Then Focus Later.

Postby juicedownload » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Amazing technology, but also a post production nightmare.

Postby debngar » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 am

It can't make up for poor camera technique, such as camera shake and/or poor composition. I'll stick with my nice lenses and select my own depth of field the old fashioned way for now. But the technology is kind of interesting and you never know where it will take us!
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:00 pm

I had seen this before and, like many others, was quite amazed at it. Since then, however, someone had linked me to some information regarding a different spin on this very thing. Adobe is working on a software version of this 'focus correction/ feature. The projected release date wasn't given, and I am not sure as to whether the feature will be integrated into a future version of Photoshop, Lightroom, or whether it will be a stand-alone program that they come out with. Though it would seem, to me, that incorporating it within one of their programs might be the way that they will go.

Very interesting technology, to say the least.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Postby texan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Adobe showed this "focus" correction technology at the last CES show in Vegas. Word has it that it will be incorporated into the next version of Photoshow which may not be that far away...........
Texan

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:31 pm

texan wrote:Adobe showed this "focus" correction technology at the last CES show in Vegas. Word has it that it will be incorporated into the next version of Photoshow which may not be that far away...........

Wow - possibly that soon?

It is something that I might DEFINITELY take a look into.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:36 pm

No doubt Adobe's software will be interesting, but there's no way it will do what this camera will do. It uses an entirely different approach to gathering light from multiple angles that is truly groundbreaking.
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby debngar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Adobe's newest feature isn't a focus tool, it's more like a fix for slight camera shake due to camera operator error.

I wasn't all that impressed with the images as the sharp areas were not very sharp at all and the sensor is so small. But maybe it's good enough technology to get the consumer to buy the gimmick if they can pack it into a smart phone or something like that.

I like the WVIL prototype camera that is also a smart phone which allows the large lens to detach and sit somewhere else remotely all the while controlling it from the hand held base device about the size of a smart phone. :D

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18704
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Mac wrote:No doubt Adobe's software will be interesting, but there's no way it will do what this camera will do. It uses an entirely different approach to gathering light from multiple angles that is truly groundbreaking.

Yes, and I am sure that you are absolutely right. It has been my experience that (for the greater part, anyway) software can't stand on the same grounds as their hardware counterparts. They may come close, but not quite there. However, the shortcomings of Adobe's entry, into this area, may be offset by the cost factors involved. From what I remember reading, that camera would set you back $10,000 - whereas a 'first footing' into Photoshop would have a prospective owner/user paying less than a tenth of that figure. Upgraders, of course, would be able to take possession of the new version for even less than that.

Would I love to have that hardware (camera)? You bet I would. But my pocket is nowhere as deep as my desire :) .
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Actually, the camera will be priced competitively . . . if I remember correctly, about $500. And considering the method of light collection, I think the focus should potentially be as good or better than traditional cameras, depending on the quality of optics used. Remember, everything we see is reflected light. The light this camera collects comes from virtually every angle rather than straight on like traditional cameras. It has a constant aperture of 2.0, so it doesn't matter how much zoom you use: the aperture is still 2.0.

Who knows what the product on the floor will be like at this point, but the base technology is different enough that I can imagine them adding features that would make them comparable to using standard cameras.

** I also just read that Steve Jobs was in the process of developing a business relationship with Lytro before he died.
PSP 0.1
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Mac wrote:Actually, the camera will be priced competitively . . . if I remember correctly, about $500.

Whoa...that's a lot of monetary miles from what I had read :). I absolutely love my DSLR backs, but just might consider picking up one of those.

We'll surely see.
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Postby heckydog » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm

NLAlston wrote:
texan wrote:Adobe showed this "focus" correction technology at the last CES show in Vegas. Word has it that it will be incorporated into the next version of Photoshow which may not be that far away...........

Wow - possibly that soon?

It is something that I might DEFINITELY take a look into.

If it's what I saw a while back it won't be able to fix out of focus photos. What it does is fix a shaky photo. If your photo is blurred due to camera shake it can correct for that. Even so, the demo video was pretty impressive.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Topaz Labs has a plugin for Photoshop they call "InFocus" that works fairly well for things that are a little out of focus (or motion) - I have it and it isn't bad although I prefer to get the focus right the first time (now if I could just figure out how to get my Nikon D300s to track focus by tracking my eyes and locking onto what I am watching ... )
http://www.topazlabs.com/infocus/

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:33 am

That Topaz plugin sounds great, if even just to tweak them that little bit more. However, I think your signature needs a bit of tweaking as well: "You can't have too many gadgets, too much disk space, or too much money to buy them!" :D
PSP 0.1
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Esteemed Member

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:05 am

Bryan O'Neil Hughes has already mentioned that it's a "tech demo" and won't be in the next version of Photoshop.
http://www.practicalphotoshopmag.com/20 ... photoshop/

Next

Return to Photography