BASIC MARKETING PROBLEM

Want to share your own personal web site with the other forum members? Post a link here. This section is for personal sites only. Sites promoting slide show businesses are acceptable. Please DO NOT link to sites that you use to sell ProShow styles, templates, etc.

BASIC MARKETING PROBLEM

Postby TonyA » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:53 am

Hi all,
A few months ago i started a new business venture designed to keep me, a pensioner, busy and with a little income. You are invited to visit http://www.evergreen-memories.co.za.
My problem is so basic that I can't find a solution. On my website you will see I have loaded a section called advertising. This is for the benefit of Proshow enthusiasts who read this message.
I find that when readers see the range of adverts their reaction is - OH I DO THAT WITH POWER POINT [or other presentation program]. Once they see a demonstration they 'start' to appreciate the difference.
My basic problem - and you will see that I have tried diferent techniques on all the adverts shown - is how do I get the potential customer to appreciate that it is not 'just PowerPoint'? Once they have bought one show, I find that very often the come back for more shows.
Are their any great marketing persons out there to give me an idea?
I am not sensitive so give it to me straight!
Thanks,
Tony

Re: BASIC MARKETING PROBLEM

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Probably the place to start is with your home page. It's amazing how even the most dedicated reader of books is put off by a large amount of text on the screen. See if you can reduce what you're saying on that front page, getting it down to what the point of the whole site really is: Making slide shows using people's photos and videos.

Give them more demos, short ones instead of the long one you have. Something for a vacation, a wedding, a whatever. If they click on a few, they'll soon realize this isn't PowerPoint.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby TonyA » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:55 am

Hi Barbara,
You input is much appreciated.
I started with minimal info on the front page but then let it grow after bits of advice and requests for more info from some enthusiasts and others.
I take your point and maybe i should rewrite the central box and remove the other boxes to separate page[s].
The idea of shorter movies is great - i will work on something - taking shows already done and shortening them to just a minute or 5 and seeing what that does.
The major problem is getting people to not reject the concept BEFORE they visit the site. If I can get them onto the site I think our efforts will eventually bring results.
I am scared to do a 'spam raid' email as I want this business [maybe never big] to be sustainable.
I will work on your suggestions during the next day or two - maybe some other enthusiasts will contribute as well.
Best regards and happy 'showing' during 2012.
Tony

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:24 am

Perhaps watching major commercials on TV will give you an idea of how to view your own home page, which is, in essence, a commercial for your product. Your idea of moving certain things to other pages is a good one. The home page is only a doorway to your site.

Barbara

Postby trulytango » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 am

TonyA wrote:The major problem is getting people to not reject the concept BEFORE they visit the site. If I can get them onto the site I think our efforts will eventually bring results.

Hello Tony

These are just my thoughts on the advertising you have prepared i.e. your local publication ad, your small leaflet and your business card. Getting people to respond to a printed ad is not that easy, considering the visual nature of the product. I viewed all 3 of your ads and can think of a few things that might help improve their look/effectiveness. Firstly, all three approaches stress that your service is inexpensive and to be perfectly honest, the wording overall (IMHO) may well elicit a response of "I can already do that myself!" And not necessarily with Powerpoint - things have moved moved on much further than that - in this day and age it really is easier than ever to create decent slideshows for minimal or even zero outlay. I would place less emphasis on the 'inexpensive' angle and stress other aspects such as the custom design and service, and your ability to pack an emotional punch. With ProShow you are capable of producing shows for people to treasure and share with their loved ones worldwide!

Once you have hit the reader with a unique selling point, make it easier for them to view your sample. Seeing is believing! Entice the reader into getting online to view what you do. Print a link to a really good demo/commercial, rather than the page full of text you have at present. If people like what they have seen, they will stay and read on... but if they are not impressed by what they have read, they might well leave without viewing! So take them straight to the show. Like Barbara just said, your home page is the doorway to your site... if they like what they see they will step inside.

I did watch your demo show, Tony... and I do think there is some room for improvement. The photos are quite dramatic, yet the music sounds almost frivolous to me. It doesn't gel. There's also a noticeable difference in the soundtrack in places, especially after the first video clip where the music doesn't recover/resume its previous level. Pay a little more attention to sound - it can make a show stand out from the rest.

Regards
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby cinderellen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:51 pm

how do I get the potential customer to appreciate that it is not 'just PowerPoint'?

Good luck with THAT, Tony! I've done numerous freebies for church for the past five years. EVERY single time people come up to me and tell me what a fabulous PowerPoint that was! No matter what I say in reply (including I wouldn't have a clue how to even make a PowerPoint), the misperception continues - sort of like "kleenex" and "xerox", I guess!

Ellen

Postby TonyA » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:29 am

Thanks one an all. What a great response [so far]!
I have been listing all the comments and then sorting. I have a lot of work and ideas from these few responses.
It will take some time but believe me I value all your comments - now to get them done and get this business going.
Have a great 2012 everyone.

Any more comments will also be appreciated.

Tony

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:36 am

Tony, it won't matter what wonderful changes you make because you'll end up changing things again and again anyway. I believe it's a fine example of a perpetual motion machine. :D

Barbara

Postby donciccio » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 pm

One thing you want to keep in mind as your market your product is to always conceal how you create your presentations. If people think they can do it themselves, they will always try and get around not paying. I always tell people that what I use to create my presentations is "An Ancient Chinese Secret". Make sure output to dvd in an ISO format....disable all other Proshow identity....it is easy to do. Yes, a lot of people will refer to your presenations as powerpoint....that's just because Powerpoint has been around a long time and that is all they have to refer to. Secondly, make sure you show them things in your presentation that can clearly not be created in Powerpoint......

Return to Personal Web Sites