Breaking show into 3 parts

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Valued Member

Breaking show into 3 parts

Postby burntb4 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:32 pm

I have created a show that has 175 images, 8 soundtracks and 11 short avi's. Although it had started to get slow doing adding slides and doing adjustments,it is fine tuned now and works great without glitches.

This show will be shown thru a projector. I created a single .exe, tried it out and it look fabulous on the screen but it crashed a few times during play. It could have been a loose connection between the lap top and projector, but my time to use the borrowed projector for test purposes was limited so I'm not sure. In case it was the show content that caused the blip I want to have a backup plan.

I read somewhere about splitting a show so I went ahead and broke it into 3 shows. Is there a way , if i output each of them as an .exe ,which is suggested for the best output when using a projector, to tie them together so they will run as one complete show with a pause between the parts 1-3 or am i stuck with burning the 3 shows to a single DVD.

Cheers and THANKS for your continued help.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Breaking show into 3 parts

Postby DickK » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Doesn't matter the media for the output--DVD or EXE. Just include all three shows in the output and make sure the options for "Play All" and "Loop All" are included on the menu page. What you'll have is a menu that lets you select one show or play them all once or play them all continuously.

Hope that helps.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby pixelpusher2010 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 am

This does not answer your question directly but might get you where you want to go

I have had large shows hang up usually when played back on an older slower laptop. Most of the time if you copy the disc to the hard drive and play it from there it resolves the problem. My fall back position is to copy the show (exe) onto a thumb drive and play it from there. Have never had a problem that way either.

But with slower machines running it from the disc is always risky

pixelpusher 2010

Valued Member

Postby burntb4 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:07 am

WOW!! Thanks so much for your speedy replies. I went and did what Dick suggested and it worked like a charm. FANTASTIC HELP.This is currently all on my PC. The shows are combined into one .exe and the play all/loop all functions work as you said.

So one more question and it may sound stupid because the #'s regarding the computers installed memory and the size of the show make it appear that I have TONS of room. The COMPLETED show is now on my PC. I will be using a projector and running the show through my laptop, an HP PAVILION Entertainment PC that has not been used a lot and is fairly new.Unfortunately my knowledge of the in's and out's of ANY computers technical aspects regarding Ram etc are very limited.I can usually figure out how to use most software from help files and places like this.

Based on the stats of my laptop given here using Belarc Advisor, does it matter how I load the show to it for presenting.I have never used a projector.The combined show stats say it is 107 MB.
4094 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 309.02 GB
228.32 GB free

I have the option to copy it directly to the hard drive or put it on a CD/DVD or on an 8 GB SanDisk portable drive and run it through there. Any pros/cons to which way I go?

Postby pixelpusher2010 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Two words NICE + WOW

NICE ! Looks like you have plenty of computing power

WOW by my standard that's a really big show. I make one every two weeks for my local club and in round numbers a 3 minute show usually averages about 10 or 12 Megs

In spite of the computing power you have "" my non technical explanation is " with 100 + meg shows the technical issue becomes the pipeline between the DVD player & the computer gets overwhelmed causing an occasional hiccup or hang up.

the plus of putting on your hard drive is It's the best it's ever going to play the only downside is you have to lug your computer around as opposed to a thumb drive ( plus of course it uses up space) But you have plenty for now

Valued Member

Postby burntb4 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks pixelpusher. Put it on a thumb drive and transferred it to the HD of my laptop and it looks great.Appreciate your feedback. Cheers

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks