Highlight a subject in PSG

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
doug r

Highlight a subject in PSG

Postby doug r » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:21 pm

I am trying to make a recruiting video for a football player. I need to highlight the player in the video for a brief moment to make him stand out from the other players. Does anyone know if Pro Show Gold has this type of feature?

Thanks in advance.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Highlight a subject in PSG

Postby DickK » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Directly, no. ProShow isn't much of an editor and that's what you'll need. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "highlight" because I can think of several ways that might work if I wanted to make an individual stand out from a group.

Anyway, here's an approach I'd try. I'd load the image in PSE (or any similar editor) and select that person or an area around the person; invert the selection so I'm working on everything except the person and then start fiddling with effects. A simple shift to darker might work, maybe a shift in gamma to darken that area or even turn the rest of the image both darker and black & white. Lots of things might work depending on what I was after and only experimenting with it a bit would I see what would work best. Once the new image was done it gets added to the show after the unedited image with (more experimentation) an appropriate transition between. The visual effect would be to see the regular group image and then the rest of the image would recede into the background leaving the selected person highlighted.

Not sure that's what you're after but it's one way to get what I'd be after.

Hope that will at least help a bit.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Ron » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey Doug
Welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post. I lurked around for quite some time before I could make my first post :D
I'm not sure about PSG, but in PSP there is a magnifier slide style. Basically a magnifying glass runs across the the screen, stops at a point then continues off the screen. You could adjust it to stop on the player therefore making him stand out in a crowd. Maybe PSG has the same slide style that could work for you.
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 am

Doug, welcome to the forum.

I need to highlight the player in the video

Is this really a video with the person moving around, or is it a still photograph with several people in it and you need to highlight one?

If it is a video and the person is moving to different areas of the frame then something like 'After Effects' may be required as Gold does not have masks, otherwise I go with what Dick has said.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby debngar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:11 am

doug r wrote:I am trying to make a recruiting video for a football player. I need to highlight the player in the video for a brief moment to make him stand out from the other players. Does anyone know if Pro Show Gold has this type of feature?

Thanks in advance.

Gold doesn't have the masking tool but there are still workarounds to highlight a person. You can either have the image zoomed into the person's face, then show the image zoomed out, or do some Photoshop work on a duplicate image to blur everyone else in the picture then show the original image, or use a caption to highlight the person. Select a font that you like that has a nice letter "O" and place that to appear over the person's head. You can utilize one of the caption motion choices to bring further attention to your subject or just have it fade in and fade out. You may want to have a duplicate slide appear afterward without the caption of the entire group but it's doable.

Here is a very old tutorial that demonstrates these options. PLEASE NOTE: there are references to key framing in the tutorial that will not apply to Gold users. But the essential ideas are there and you'll have to have a second duplicate slide with a cut transition in between and match the end position of the first slide to the start position of the next slide to make it look right.

"Spotlighting A Subject" 3:18 min
http://www.photodex.com/share/debngar/bd9kamg4

If the references to key framing throws you off, just use a caption with the letter "O" for simplicity sake if that is easier for you.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

doug r

Postby doug r » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:59 am

Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions. Very much appreciated. I will try them today.

Postby debngar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 am

briancbb wrote:Doug, welcome to the forum.

I need to highlight the player in the video

Is this really a video with the person moving around, or is it a still photograph with several people in it and you need to highlight one?

If it is a video and the person is moving to different areas of the frame then something like 'After Effects' may be required as Gold does not have masks, otherwise I go with what Dick has said.

DOH! I completely missed that point. Doug, you're right, if it's video, that's a different situation and might require a different approach and software altogether. :roll:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

doug r

Postby doug r » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:23 am

I'm sorry if I didn't explain very well what I'm trying to do. I just need to put a white highlight/spotlight on a player for a second to show who to watch when the play begins. Here is a 9 second video I found on youtube that shows what I'm wanting to do... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyUPVDLq ... re=related

Hope this clarifies what I'm very sloppily trying to explain. :)

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:04 am

Doug

If it is a still of the first frame of the video, as per your example, the easiest way is as Debbie has described. A nice caption 'O' over the players head as there is no relative motion to follow.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Return to PSG - General Discussion