Stripping Audio/PSP for Video?

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Stripping Audio/PSP for Video?

Postby Paul Gold » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:45 am

Question 1: What could I use to remove audio from a video clip? My plan is to overlay music onto a DVD clip that has dialogue. Movie Maker did the deed, but the saved product looked putrid.
I'd like to use PSP to keep the DVD quality, if it can handle the size. When I put the video (24 min) into PSP, it went at 2x or faster, although the original audio played at normal speed. Questions 2,3: What's the best format for video in PSP, and will I be able to get the video to play at normal speed?

Re: Stripping Audio/PSP for Video?

Postby im42n8 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 am

Paul,

Well, you've already tried Movie Maker to successfully remove the sound from the video. You could just use the sound track you extracted with the original video and just turn the volume down on the video from within PSP.

You could buy Premiere Elements to do the extraction. It's not too expensive and has most of the tools of its Pro version. You should be happy with the result too, both audio and video. Plus, you should be able to make clips of the original movie easily if you need to. MPeg4 would get you a smaller video than AVI but you can use any format that PSP recognizes. Whatever works for you is the best format.

You can adjust the video speed within PSP in terms of percent faster or slower. 24 Min of video is a lot of video that would probably be better handled in a video program. PSP can handle it but it's optimized for photos. You can use PSP as a way to create those other segments you want to go along with the video portion and export your creation to use in the nonlinear editor (e.g., Movie maker or Premiere Elements...) to finalize your product.

Plenty of options!

Good luck!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Paul Gold » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:39 am

Thanks, Dale...

I spent about 5 hours trying to sync this video and audio on PSP. I have one last act before I go another route: I hesitated to use the sync function, because I wasn't sure if my audio clip is edited. (I'll re-extract the audio, then try to sync it.) the clip breaks up into 2 slides, 1=22:34 and 2=3:23. If I choose "cut" as a transition and put the time to 0.0, I'm presuming the slides will be contiguous. Keep your fingers crossed, folks... :wink:

Postby Paul Gold » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 am

Well, cross off PSP for this particular project - the sync didn't fly. That's no bad mark against Producer. It's built for photos primarily. I'll be investing in some video software...here's what I was attempting to accomplish, in case I've made this too complicated: I extracted audio from a Twilight Zone episode, added some music to the soundtrack in a "dead spot" (done by using Cool Edit Pro and multi-track to overlay the music as not to change the length of the audio), then re-united the two. Windows Movie Maker worked, to the point of sync-ing up the video and audio, but lacked greatly in quality. I wanted the video to look like its original DVD quality, so I tried PSP. The video sped up when loaded in; the audio did not. I tried for about 5 hours and then some, adjusting the speed of the video, but could only manage a moment or two of sync. What looked on at 2:35 was off by 1.5 seconds 10 minutes later. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it... :(

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:57 am

Paul . . . your video "speed-up" problem may have been fixed in the latest update released today with version 4.5.2949. Here are the changes:

Changes in Version 4.5.2949
What's New Since 4.5.2929

* Added option to cancel content import processes within the wizard
* Added ability to select multiple pieces of content at once in the wizard
* Shows created from wizard now include theme and energy values in Show Notes
* Fixed video import problem where multiple crash reports could occur
* Fixed problem where slide sounds could end prematurely
* Fixed crash problem that could occur while loading a slideshow
* Fixed problem where ProShow could appear to hang if closed while minimized
* Fixed problem where some MP3s were being reported as invalid
* Fixed crash caused by adding a layer placeholder
* Fixed crash caused by having too few layers when applying a slide style
* Fixed problem where some video layers could playback too quickly
* Fixed problems with layer order in shows created by the wizard
* Fixed problem where blank shows could be created with the wrong custom aspect ratio
* Fixed problems caused by changing title of Blank Show in New Slide Show dialog
* Fixed crash condition caused by adding a layer placeholder to a slide
* Fixed crash condition that could occur after applying a slide style
* Fixed problem where slides could become blank after sending a Problem Report

Dan

Postby Paul Gold » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:24 am

Dan -

Thanks for the heads-up! I upgraded yesterday, and believe it or not, the video is even faster than before. As I type, I'm using a VOB file, imported from the saved DVD. Perhaps a conversion is in order? My goal is to keep the video quality (and playback speed) right where it is, if at all possible...any ideas?? :?:

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications