Export captions to Word file?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
andrelef

Export captions to Word file?

Postby andrelef » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi all,

I've been working for months on a slideshow and it's so long now that I had to cut it in three parts. I find it a bit difficult to retain cohesion and be concise when all I have is watching the show to find out what works and what doesn't in relation to the other portions. Drives me bananas...

Right now, I have two parts done, and when I watch them I find that there's repetition and digression.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way where I could select all files, and then use a function to save ONLY THE CAPTIONS into one unique file, so I could have the whole text in front of me to work on. That way I'll be able to build a stronger "narration" and not be distracted by the rest of the action going on on the screen.

My only other option is to go through 20 minutes worth of show and double-click each slide, copy/paste each caption into a Word file. I'd rather not have to do that... :!:

Thanks for any help!!

Andre

Re: Export captions to Word file?

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:25 pm

Well, it depends on what tools you have available - if you look at the .psh file for the show, the lines with the caption text will look like the following:
Code: Select all
cell[1].caption[1].text="Birdies & Booms ...\r\nShots from the 4th"

Where the "cell" number is the slide number - 1 (first slide is cell 0 ) and the caption number relates to which caption it is for that slide. There are a number of utilities in the Linux world like "grep" that work very well for that - what you want to do is grab all the lines from the .psh file with that format. I have not done it, but that is what you are looking for (you can open the .psh file in something like Notepad if you want - it is just a text file)
You could search for the string '.text="' and everything following that should be your caption - note that special characters like newlines and carriage returns (and other chars) are escaped with a backslash in the string - don't get bitten with searching for everything between the quotes - if the quoted string has something within it that has quotes, you will grab only part of the string :-)

hope that helps :D
mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

andrelef

Postby andrelef » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi Mikey,

It's still quite a bit of work, but that worked... back to work now...

Thanks!

Andre

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:14 am

Have a look at this Word programme by Vernon Robinson. It works a treat :D
Here's the link.
ProShow PSH Reader Document Files
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8118

Mike
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Postby gpsmikey » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:11 am

Thanks for posting that Mike - I had forgotten about that utility. Good info.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

andrelef

Postby andrelef » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:13 am

Thank you both!

This will transform my work...

All the best,

André

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks