How to add font file to DVD

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

How to add font file to DVD

Postby eftilton » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 am

A reply to another query suggested adding the font files to be included on the DVD along with the collected files from the program (ProShow 4.1), in the event the potential user of the SHOW.EXE file does not have the selected fonts on his/her computer. I can see the necessity of doing this, but I cannot find any instructions for adding a font file to be burned on the disk.

Whatever have I overlooked?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Elizabeth

Re: How to add font file to DVD

Postby debngar » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:52 am

Currently, there is no provision written into the program that will collect your font files and put them in your show folder. You have to do that yourself.

Figure out which fonts you're using in your show, find them under your Windows/Fonts folder and copy the .ttf file(s) for those fonts into your show folder where the other files are located. If the show ever has to be reconstructed using another computer, those font files need to be copied/installed on the new computer you are working with otherwise the program will substitute your show fonts with another font you don't want and it won't look the same.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby des.tom » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 am

I was trying to add a font to an email attachment this afternoon. Expected to be able to go to C:\Windows\Fonts and do a Copy/Paste but there was no Copy option available. How do I get round this?

Des

Postby debngar » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:05 pm

I ran into that problem a while back but I can't remember exactly where to find those. That particular font file isn't in the normal font folder then but it's linked to another folder where it's located instead.

Look for another program that is furnishing you the other additional fonts and it may have put that font (and others) in another common folder that is shared by multiple programs.

You may have to copy it from that other folder.
Debbie

Postby nannybear » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:33 pm

If I am not mistaken, I do believe that when you burn the DVD you can also add "additional files", as well as teh collected show files. Let me know if this interests you and I will make sure and post a quick how to! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Wait a sec here folks and let's make sure we're answering the right question.

What I hear the the OP asking about is a case where the user has a DVD containing an EXE file with a slide show but doesn't have the needed font(s) file--is that right Elizabeth? In any case, that's different than getting the fonts on a DVD with "collect files" or adding the files to a DVD with the rendered video. So, three possibilities:

1. If the EXE output is really what you're dealing with, then I think the answer is the same as how ever you got the EXE on the DVD. Seems to me that if you put the EXE on there, then you can put other files there including the fonts. But keep in mind that this won't help at all unless you tell the user on the other end how to install them to their system. That's not hard (just find the Windows font folder and copy them there) but it won't happen automatically. This could prove an obstacle for some folks.

2. On the other hand, creating a DVD video output doesn't create an executable nor is the font file isn't important for the user to view the show.

3. If we're talking about getting the show files all collected on the DVD as an archive then, yes, you can get the font file(s) on the DVD but PSG won't do it for you automagically (Deb's input applies).

Maybe I'm the only one who isn't sure what we're talking about here but then again...
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby nannybear » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:29 pm

eftilton wrote:A reply to another query suggested adding the font files to be included on the DVD along with the collected files from the program (ProShow 4.1).

Well this is what I was replying to... :roll:
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite

Postby eftilton » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:52 am

Thank you all, I appreciate the thoughtful replies. To Dick, sorry I did not provide a satisfactory explanation. I am making a few family shows which will be distributed on DVD only to family members. What I have in mind to be available on the disk is:
1. the files necessary to play the show on a TV using a DVD player (collected by ProShow);
2. the Show.exe file so that the show can be played on a Windows machine (ProShow option);
3. any extra font file to be installed by the user on his/her computer in order to avoid Windows making an unsatisfactory substitution (file supplied by myself);
4. maybe a ReadMe (doc) file including any extra info I choose to provide, such as an explanation about the fonts (file supplied by myself).
Is that somewhat more understandable?

I did not note on the Create Output>DVD menu the ability to add files (such as the font) to the output list. NannyBear posts that there is an available option to do this so I must have overlooked it somewhere. I seem to be a little slow at catching on to this new program after Photo Story 3. :cry:

Jan has volunteered to post the instructions for adding files (font) in addition to what Collect Files provides and that is what I need to have. So would you please be so kind? It is just what I am looking for.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to try to figure out my problem.

Elizabeth

Postby debngar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:04 am

I am making a few family shows which will be distributed on DVD only to family members.

This has become complicated for no reason at all in that case due to misinterpretation of terms.

No need to collect files at all, show files or font files for the use you described. Those are only needed for archival purposes.

You don't need to include font files on a DVD you're giving to someone just so they can view it on their TV via their DVD player or if they are viewing it via an .exe file. The show is complete as rendered and burned. No worries. If this were a problem, then Photodex would have addressed this years ago.

The ONLY reason to include font files is if you are trying to recreate an archived show, using ProShow software on another computer or if you are uploading the show online using another computer that might not have the fonts used in the show.

This was the case in a contest winning show I had transferred to Photodex. I used an unusual font and the person that uploaded that show to the Photodex site didn't have the font on their computer and the results were not good. In order for them to upload the show to the site, they had to have all the show files including the fonts too.

Anyone can view a persons shows without needing the unusual font on their computer. But the show cannot be properly rendered and burned without them on the computer that's rendering them.

Hope that makes sense now.
Debbie

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 am

Ya beat me to it Deb. Nice and clear.

Elizabeth -- as Deb indicates you don't have an issue at all. After my other reply I realized that should be the case and tested it to be sure. Sorry if we mislead you!

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby eftilton » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:29 am

Thanks again to each and every person who posted or emailed a reply to my query. Debbie, I appreciate your putting my mind at rest about the font file. Jan provided instructions for including extra files if I choose. Now I can send two disks with shows to my daughter-in-law, a graphic artist, for commentary and be certain she can play them on both her TV and her computer.

Yesterday I viewed my first production, my Gilliland Cemetery pics, on a neighbor’s television since we do not own a DVD player for our TV. According to my very modest standards :) I was pleased with the results of my beginning efforts.

Blessings to all,

Elizabeth

Postby nannybear » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:36 am

Blessings back Elizabeth and have fun!!!

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks