FILE EXTENSIONS FOR SOUND TRACKS

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

FILE EXTENSIONS FOR SOUND TRACKS

Postby jjgerl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 am

Will PSG accept .wpeg files (background music)?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: FILE EXTENSIONS FOR SOUND TRACKS

Postby briancbb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Welcome to the forum.

That is a very strange format, even Google does not show it as an extension, and I have never heard of it before :oops: . Perhaps you could enlighten me.

According to Photodex site these are the supported audio formats:

Audio Formats
.OGG Ogg Vorbis audio
.MP3 MPEG 3 music file
.WAV Windows sound
.WMA Windows audio file (1)
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Where in heavens name did you run into that??
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that had never seen that file extension before ! :shock:
In general, you will need to have your audio in one of the standard formats.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Did you mean .mpeg?

Here are all the known audio file formats (with alternate forms)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_file_format

Additional information would indeed help track down what type of audio file you are wondering about. Such as what program or audio source are you using, or wanting to use? (I.e., where did you get the audio file in question?)

Thanks

Louis

Postby jjgerl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm

You have all been very good to me. I have 11 very old reel-to-reel tapes and I am trying to get them converted to CD's or DVD's. The company says the file format would be .wpeg. I have never heard of this file format and I couldn't even find it on the Internet. I think I need to pick up my 11 reels and go to another company.

The list of file formats that can be used with PSG was very helpful.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Ask them again what the format really is. Then tell them that what you want is either a set of .WAV files (big) or MP3 files (which are a specific variety of MPEG standard files) at constant bitrate of 256k/sec or higher or even better, both.

However, the file format issue could be minor compared to a couple other issues, maybe, with what you want to do.

1. Depending on how old and how they were stored, those tapes may be unreadable and/or may be destroyed if someone who doesn't know what they're doing attempts to read them. As tape gets old, the oxide coating layer tends to unbind from the plastic carrier, the carrier gets brittle and the tape tends to stick to itself. I have no experience here except what I read, but there are ways to get the content off the tape but they're not 100% reliable and they're usually read-once tricks. That means they get pass through the read heads and afterward the tape is essentially destroyed. Talk to anyone you want to do this very carefully and make sure they understand the age, type and condition of the tape. Get a description of exactly what they will do.

2. If successful, the result make be great or it maybe unlistenable. It's almost for sure that the results should be passed through some careful filtering and processing to recover the best that can be done before they make the files that come to you. Failing that you could do they processing if they give you WAV files.

If this is in fact what's involved, then keep in mind that anyone who can really do this will not come cheap. Success will be very dependent on how old the tapes are, what type of tape it is and how they've been stored. You might also want to read up on tape transfer, there's a lot of information on the internet.

Good luck,
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to Music Discussion