Photo Editing Software

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Re: Photo Editing Software

Postby PhotoBob » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Although I use Photoshop CS4, Lightroom 2.6 and Nikon NX2 depending what kind of image I am working on and just what I am wishing to do with the image, there is software that is well used by photographers and the price is free. It is put out by Google, http://picasa.google.com/. Picassa is widely used software for doing editing on images.

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:22 am

What kind of special effects are you looking to do?

Postby dzacco » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:11 am

I would like to do 3D animations, transparencies, layering, various background effects, sharpening and photo manipulation (for my photographic shortcomings), and a good deal latitude for the "room to grow” factor. Video editing is something I haven't yet tried but I want to do that as well.
I am using PSG but want to upgrade to PSP soon. I am also using the Magix program but find its customization is limited compared to ProShow. My wife and I would like to work up to doing photography and video work for hire after becoming proficient with the software available. There is so much to learn that is somewhat overwhelming but I haven't yet encountered anything I can't do. Everything depends on education, persistence, and attitude. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is a gold mine of information.

Thanks again

Postby juven » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:21 am

I use the Topaz Adjust plug-in too with Zoner Photo Studio 12 which has also some nice photo effects.
(http://www.zoner.com)

Another program I use for special effects and filters is Photochances. http://www.photochances.com

Kind regards from Belgium

Patrick
http://www.patrickwylleman.be

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:28 am

Elements is very good, though it is lacking some things that I think in time you would miss. For example Photoshop CS4 Professional allows for video editing frame by frame which can be very handy. It can also do 3D modeling for output as stills or videos for using in ProShow.

The biggest advantage that Photoshop and to a lesser degree Photoshop Elements has is that there is a ton of third party support. Lots of free patterns, shapes, styles, actions (only works well and easily with the full version of Photoshop) as well as plug-ins (many work with other editors but there are more and more that are Photoshop only) and more importantly there are a ton of free tutorials, books and training options available that will help you learn. No other image editor has the third party support that Photoshop and as I said to a lesser degree Photoshop Elements has.

I would recommend going with the full version of Photoshop. How I would do it on the cheap is to full a new registrable copy of Photoshop CS3 or Creative Suite CS3 (if you have need of the other applications) get to know it and then wait for Photoshop CS5 or Creative Suite CS5 to come out later this year. This will allow you to upgrade much more cheaply.

You can't go any older than CS3 because Adobe has changed their update policy. Now if you have a version that is older than two you have to pay full price to upgrade. This means that to upgrade to CS5 you need either CS3 or CS4. CS3 if you can find a new legit copy will be much cheaper and will get you going quite nicely. Then upgrade to CS5 later this year.

You I believe can upgrade to the full version of Photoshop from Photoshop Elements but it costs a whole lot more. Also, keep in mind that if you buy the Creative Suite CS3 you will have to upgrade to the Creative Suite CS4 or CS5, you can not upgrade only the applications you want, you have to upgrade the entire suite. I would recommend the suite myself. Illustrator is very handy to have with Photoshop and if you get in to video Premiere and After Effects is the place to go.

Robert

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:16 am

I need to clarify something. Adobe a few years ago changed their update policy. You can now only update versions that are no more than 3 versions old. This means as of this date you can upgrade CS, CS2 and CS3 to CS4. When CS5 comes up later this year you will then be able to only upgrade from CS2, CS3 and CS4. Everything older you will have to pay full price.

I misstated this in my message above.

So if you can find a legit registrable (I would only deal with new shrink wrapped, boxed software) for CS, CS2 or CS3 you can upgrade to CS4. However, since CS4 is going to be replaced pretty soon (Q2 or Q3 2010 I figure) I would look for a copy of CS2 or CS3 and then upgrade to CS5 when it comes out.

Warnings...

1. Adobe has never had an OEM version of Creative Suite, if you see someone selling an OEM Creative Suite it is pirated.
2. Since Photoshop Elements came out Adobe has never had an OEM version of Photoshop. One of the big reasons Adobe made Photoshop Elements was so they had something more affordable to offer to hardware makers. If you see an OEM Photoshop CS, CS2, CS3 or CS4 it is pirated.
3. Adobe has never just sent out discs. Adobe's software always comes with packaging, usually plastic DVD like cases. If you see something in paper disc sleeves it is most likely pirated.
4. If you decided to buy from someone other than a major retailer. Get in writing either by e-mail or text message that what you are buying is brand new, never been opened, never been registered, It is 100% legal and legitimate and can be registered by you with all rights and privileges there of. Get it in writing from a manager, not a sales drone. If they will not state all of this in writing DO NOT BUY IT. DO NOT BUY OFF eBAY 99.9% of the time it will be pirated.

I looked at Amazon.com and they have copies of CS, CS2 and CS3 (just looking at Photoshop, not the Creative Suite) and the prices are very high for outdated software. I suspect that finding an old good copy is going to cost almost as much as just buying CS4.

If you decide to just buy CS4, I would hold off and wait for CS5 otherwise if you want CS5 you will have to pay more to get the update. Or, wait until CS5 is announced, check with Adobe because after the announcement if you buy CS4 you should get the upgrade to CS5 free, but check with Adobe to make sure first.

Robert

Postby ginger » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 am

Any information about the student editions such as:

Adobe Photoshop Extended CS4 Student Edition

It was my understanding that these were not "upgradeable", but are there any other limitations in the software itself or is it the same as the regular version?

ginger

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:49 pm

The Academic versions of the Adobe software are fully functioning copies. While there is no upgrade from one student version to the next, there is an upgrade from the student/academic version to a full version. That is the path that Adobe is hoping people will follow from the Academic version.

Regards,
-Vernon

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:31 pm

And there is a difference in academic and student versions. One can be used for profit; the other not.

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/h ... moid=FCRWP

There used to be a site that showed all the differences between the licenses, but I can't find that now.

Postby ginger » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks guys. I'll look into it more.

ginger

Previous

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications