Adobe Lightroom

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
devander

Adobe Lightroom

Postby devander » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:31 pm

While many of us use Photoshop (I use CS4 currently), I also use Lightroom (v2.5) partially for quick filtering and editing (I do not like Bridge). I have well over 10,000 images and the key wording and quick linking to external applications from Lightroom overpower any other digital image file manager that I’ve used.
I have frequently needed to pull together a 2 to 5 minute slide show from my images and it would take a lot of effort to find the photo candidates. I’ve since started to use the strong filtering available in Lightroom and key word spray a unique code for those photos I deem appropriate.
Once I selected the new keyword and (maybe) tuned up via the edit module, I then export the images to a new folder for use in ProShow Gold. On the way out, I have Lightroom size appropriately.
This has reduced by at least 50% the time I spend in ProShow stringing together the show. Now if only I had something like that for my 10,000+ mp3 files.

Re: Adobe Lightroom

Postby glenn71x » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 am

I notice there is a lightroom plugin available from photodex on their website. What exactly does this do for lightroom users?

Postby texan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:26 am

I stopped using Lightroom some time ago; but as I recall the photodex
link, is just that......a quick shortcut link to an outside file sorter........
Texan

devander

Postby devander » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:09 pm

The lightroom to photodex free addin is an "Export" module that help to make exporting a set of slides to ProShow Gold (and I assume Producer) and "builds" a starting point for your show. It does well but since I use layering to a heavy extent, I tend to just use the normal export to give me more control.

If you are really considering the use of Lightroom, I strongly suggest you buy a copy of "Lightroom 2 for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. The truth is that most photographers are overwhelmed by the hundreds of functions available in Lightroom. It took me at least 3 months to get it down. I now use Lightroom for 90% of my photoediting and CS4 for the rest. I also use Lightroom for all of my image file management needs and quite frankly would never go back to anything else.

Postby glenn71x » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:49 am

devander wrote:The lightroom to photodex free addin is an "Export" module that help to make exporting a set of slides to ProShow Gold (and I assume Producer) and "builds" a starting point for your show. It does well but since I use layering to a heavy extent, I tend to just use the normal export to give me more control.

If you are really considering the use of Lightroom, I strongly suggest you buy a copy of "Lightroom 2 for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. The truth is that most photographers are overwhelmed by the hundreds of functions available in Lightroom. It took me at least 3 months to get it down. I now use Lightroom for 90% of my photoediting and CS4 for the rest. I also use Lightroom for all of my image file management needs and quite frankly would never go back to anything else.

What do you mean "the normal export?"

devander

Postby devander » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:12 am

Re:Lightroom Export
Lightroom allows you to "copy" to a directory (or CD to burn) images in your library with or without any modifications you may have applied. As such, the normal export functions stops there (i.e., just creates a folder of images in whatever extention and file names you specified with the dimensions limited by the size specified).

The ProShow addin for Export goes another step by starting ProShow and building a basic slide show. If your slideshows are normally simple (one image per slide) and the default order by file name is okay, then you are ready to go.

Bostonrott

Postby Bostonrott » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:39 am

I use LR2 (and think the beta of 3 looks fantastic!!! :mrgreen: ), and am about to start exporting photos from my Galapagos trip for a Proshow DVD. Based on a simple slide show (i.e. no zooming, or layers), what dimensions do you tell LR to alter photos to? Do you use the DVD resolution of 720x480? (Having just learned this, I now understand why my photos look so crummy in the slideshows...........may be time for a Blu-Ray......I shoot a Nikon D3, it ain't the camera.)

Thanks! :D

devander

Postby devander » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:39 am

A short reply on exporting out of Lightroom for ProShow. Since LR does not actually make modifications to your images on the image file itself, you can't just use your original images in ProShow if you want to take advantage of the changes you made, so Export is the way you get jpg or psd "copies" with the ajustments. I always export with the largest resoluton I can (the same as the original) so that I can zoom in deep without pixelation. As for the final DVD clarity on an HDTV, set ProShow's output the the highest quality and be prepared to wait awhile for the product to be created.

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications