Does size really matter?

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related
Esteemed Member

Does size really matter?

Postby Mac » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:22 pm

For those who've made large shows: How many slides would some of you consider maxxing out your system's ability to handle Proshow? Or do you just keep on going until the show is over?

I'm in the process of working on a long show and I'm wondering about this. I decided to try to split the show into sections but the way I work my music, this makes it a very hard thing to do and I'd rather not do it at all.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:10 pm

Well this one is going to be dependent on whatever system you've got, especially I think the amount of RAM on it. However, judging by my experience and the comments of various folks here, a show of a few hundred images seems to work okay. ProShow doesn't seem overly sensitive to the number of images tho' I've personally seen it slow down noticeably it I incorporate one or more video clips. Where you'll pay the penalty for the size of the show is in the render time. On most machines you'll get a render time of 1.5 to ~4 times the actual play time. So if you have a really long show it's going to take a long session to create the output.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Vernon D Rainwater

Postby Vernon D Rainwater » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:46 pm

DickK wrote:Well this one is going to be dependent on whatever system you've got, especially I think the amount of RAM on it. However, judging by my experience and the comments of various folks here, a show of a few hundred images seems to work okay. ProShow doesn't seem overly sensitive to the number of images tho' I've personally seen it slow down noticeably it I incorporate one or more video clips. Where you'll pay the penalty for the size of the show is in the render time. On most machines you'll get a render time of 1.5 to ~4 times the actual play time. So if you have a really long show it's going to take a long session to create the output.

Dick

When working on 3 larger shows, my limit was determined by the DVD space to save the Slide Show to that type of Media.
At first, I had almost twice the number of images that would go on one DVD -- so I removed enough to be able to fit on a DVD. I ended up having to place the total as 3 different shows on 3 DVD's.
Vernon

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:23 pm

I use Producer so it may be a bit different, however, the other day I was putting
together a pretty good sized show (about 700 slides, but only 23 minutes - girls
soccer) and found that, at least with my machine, at about 250 slides, it suddenly
started to get MUCH S-L-O-W-E-R adding slides to the show or doing ANYTHING.
I have a 3 ghz processor and 2 gigs of RAM. I ended up splitting it into 3
different shows in a "Project" (which Gold doesn't have). Most of the pictures were
about 2.5-3 megs each. As long as I stayed less than about 250 slides or
so, it was nice and fast to add slides, captions etc, but go over that and bad news.

Just a view from what I ran into.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Vernon D Rainwater

Postby Vernon D Rainwater » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:23 pm

My above referenced 3 slide shows have the following images: 1st= 350, 2nd=364, 3rd=331.
I don't know the (specific) routine performed to images of varying sizes that are included in slide shows when there are many different size images as source.

The Drive that contained the source images were mostly scanned images of my (many years ago) negatives and a few slides. Total drive space was 24.2 Gb. There were a total of 1045 images which averaged to be 23.158 Mb per image. Note: some of the images were VERY large.

However, all the images resulted in using 3 (normal size 4.+ Gb) DVD's for the slide show images plus all had Background Music. Therefore, Pro Show Gold evidently reduces the images to be the "Best Quality" resolution size for Slide Shows that may be Viewed on Computer or TV using a DVD reader.

My computer is (new to me) and uses the E6850 CPU and has 4 Gb mamory and SATA Hard Drives -- so it is many times faster than my "replaced" 6 year old computer. The entire processing time seemed (to me) to be rather fast, however; I did not "stop watch" the timings.

Obviously, I would have became somewhat older if the older machine was being used for this project .. [Grin]..

Return to PSG - General Discussion