Newbie question about panning and zooming

Discuss anything ProShow Gold related

Newbie question about panning and zooming

Postby shadow » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:20 pm

I am new to creating slideshows and I am wondering why so many are against panning and zooming. It is my uneducated thought that panning and zooming is good but in reading many post, many disagree. I am not arguing but wanting to learn so, what are your reasons for not panning and zooming? Many thanks!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby 57Corvette » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Shadow,

There is nothing wrong with panning and zoom ....... but if used to excess, it can distract the viewer from the show. Sometimes these's a need to zoom closer or pan a scene ....... I guess the question to ask is: does the panning and zooming enhance the show? If not, why do it?

Ultimately, you're the one that needs to be happy and satisfied with your show ...... if you want panning and zooming, then add it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Bob
Nikon D80
ProShow Producer
CS3 Extended
Paint Shop Pro xi

Postby debngar » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:03 pm

To piggyback on what Bob is saying - whatever you do with effects, they should have a purpose. Don't just do it because you can, do it for a reason.

Zoom and pan with moderation. This means a LITTLE movement can be used to keep the viewers attention as compared to a static, dead image that does nothing, one slide after another. Just don't over do it.

The slideshow should be more about the images and the story they are supposed to tell, not the effects.

Watch this for further explanation - (produced by Vidqueen)

"Purposeful Motion"
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=124704

Debbie

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:26 pm

Expanding an earlier message ..........

Most hardened members of this forum are pan and zoom weary - I am too. Hence frequent criticism here when generous amounts are used.

However, generally shows are not for the likes of us and most viewers find they add life.

Too much movement can be either:

- too extensively on a given image

or

- on too many images.

The former is worse. I'm not sure there can be movement on too many slides - provided it is used with discretion and at the right speed. If still images are mixed with those that move, they may jar.

I find that subconciously I have used movement solely to extend the length of a show when I have a limited number of images. A questionable habit which is a hangover from my pre-digital days. Provided there are enough images, a predominantly stills show works very well, but any images in it with movement may jar.
Shaker

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:30 am

In my view, Debbie has expressed it just right -- if there's a reason for it, do it. If not, don't. So, what are reasons that you might do it? Well, here are a few I think might apply (and I can think of at the moment).

-- draw attention to a specific point of focus in a picture (force the viewer's eye to something)
-- show something in the picture that wouldn't be seen clearly in a full view (typically this means start zoomed in and then come out to show context)
-- emphasize a feeling of openness or space in the image (pans especially)
-- reinforce a movement in the image (picture shows a car racing past left-to-right, you might use a slight L->R pan maybe with a slight zoom in or out)

Lots of good reasons to use motion -- "just cause I can" or "cause I just learned how to use them" aren't IMHO good ones. Used for no reason or used to excess they're distracting, I start seeing the motion and not the image, and probably that's not good for telling the story in the show.

My $.02. Ultimately, it's not my show and the author/maker/artist can and should do what they think is right--there aren't any rules that can't and occasionally shouldn't be broken but I think there are some pretty good guidelines that will help if they're at least understood.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby nannybear » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:55 am

All of the above and remember who you are making it for. Shows for little ones can have lots of movement because quite frankly they really aren't about the quality or depth of the picture as they are about "Is is fun!!". In MHO, more somber shows need less movement and more story, as in a memorial show. That is more about the person and the pic, than what you can do with it. I shall stop rattling on now...look forward to your shows, cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby rkligman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:18 am

The very first show I posted (way back in Sept) got blasted for too much motion. I didn't whole heartedly agree with their analysis at the time. 3-4 months later I think, like Nanny said, sometimes its the audience that will drive the show. Many of the forum people see a lot of shows and there is no great novelty about the movement and that was what they were expressing on my initial show, just as Shaker commented.

That being said, I will use movement somewhat liberally but it usually has a fair purpose. Sometimes it's a slow zoom and others it's a fast zoom. Let me point you to one of my latest shows because it cuts exactly to the point. http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=5829. This is a show about our Veteran's Parade this year. I spent a lot of time on it but it didn't seem to get as much hoorah from the viewers as I would have hoped for. :( I don't think the idea of viewing a parade drew many visitors. Oh well, their loss. Getting back to the point though. I'd like you to watch it. It's in 3 segments. You'll notice (from memory) that Segment 1 is your normal pan n zoom show. Segment 2 takes movement to a higher level. Movement with a Purpose as Deb said. But of particular attention is Segment 3. I think I had movement on almost every slide and when watching it, I found myself getting slightly dizzy. So I pulled way back and you'll see that there is movement, movement and then 2-3 slides of still. I thought it worked out much more effective.
Rick Insane Diego...

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:11 am

Rick Insane Diego ...,

While the rest of us struggle to produce guidance on pans and zooms, your show demonstrates what real creative flair can do.

Were there rules? Did you break them? With a result like that who cares!

I am in awe.
Last edited by Shaker on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaker

Postby shadow » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:14 am

Wow! Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and their thoughts on panning and zooming. Please keep them coming. I will most definately refer back to this post many times while I am learning.

There are two sides to producing slideshows. One is the technical side and the other is the art of the show itself. While the technical side is relatively easy, the art of the show is much more difficult. It is my opinion, that making a slideshow fairly entertaining is farily simple if your audience is intimately part of the show. Sort of like printing the pics and passing them around to friends and family members. The trick, is to make a slideshow entertaining to those who are not intimately part of the show. That is my ultimate goal, to make the slideshows enjoyable and entertaining to others. Many, if not all, of you have accomplised that goal and I truly enjoy viewing your shows for both enjoyment and to 'borrow' ideas.

On another general note, this is one great forum. You freely share you ideas, experiences and knowledge but more importantly, IMHO, is that you are honest and constructive in giving critiques of shows when asked without making one feel foolish.

I am looking forward to reading and hopefully sometimes contributing to this forum. Sorry for the rambling, I will stop now and get back to work. :wink:

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby 57Corvette » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:29 am

Shadow,

Again ..... it all depends on what you're trying to convey. After reading Rick's comments, I revisited one of my shows that got a lot of comments ...... there is not one pan or zoom in the entire show. There are two visual effects ..... lights turning on and lightening ......but no movement. This show was to showcase the photography and the process of painting with light. If interested, you can view it here:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7573&alb=0

When you make your show ....decide what it's for. The purpose of the show will most likely determine what effects, if any, you will add. Looking forward to your first show posting ...... happy new years to you and yours.

Bob
Nikon D80
ProShow Producer
CS3 Extended
Paint Shop Pro xi

Return to PSG - General Discussion